U20's Club 2018/19

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » November 29th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Clontarf continue their impressive form with away win in Lansdowne. Trinity back to winning ways. Belvo secure their 2nd win in a row. UCD move into 4th place.

25th Nov
Dublin University 27- 24 Terenure College RFC
Lansdowne 13 - 31 Clontarf
Old Belvedere 10 - 0 MU Barnhall
UCD 28 3 Blackrock College RFC


Pos Team Pld W L D PF PA Diff BP BPW BPL Ded Pts
1 Clontarf 6 6 0 0 259 97 162 6 6 0 0 30
2 Dublin University 6 5 1 0 215 110 105 5 5 0 0 25
3 Lansdowne 6 4 2 0 135 119 16 2 2 0 0 18
4 UCD 6 3 3 0 134 131 3 5 3 2 0 17
5 Terenure College RFC 6 3 3 0 150 150 0 5 3 2 0 17
6 Old Belvedere 6 2 4 0 120 168 -48 3 1 2 0 11
7 MU Barnhall 6 1 5 0 86 130 -44 2 1 1 0 6
8 Blackrock College 6 0 6 0 48 242 -194 0 0 0 0 0

Clontarf v UCD is the pick of the games next week.
Next week represents the 1/2 way point in the league and with such a significant points differential, Clontarf effectively have a 6 point lead over Trinity.
Worth remembering a top 4 place gets you into the Fraser McMullen competition (which includes Munster clubs). So the teams right the way down to Old Belvo have still something to play for.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 3rd, 2018, 10:06 am

Heard trinity were very lucky to win at the weekend, granted it is from a biased source.


1: Bart Vermeulen
2: George Downing
3: Simon Clear
4: Neil Howard
5: Nathan Mullan
6: Reuben Pim
7: Jody Booth
8: Michael McGagh
9: Elliot Ryan
10: Michael O'Kennedy
11: Liam Smith
12: Jay Moriarty
13: Seb Pimm
14: Paddy Opperman
15: Luke McKay

16: Stephen Gray
17: Donnacha Mescal
18: Adrian Binder
19: Adam Corcoran
20: Louis oreilly
21: David O'Brien
22: Clinton Wohocha
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » December 3rd, 2018, 12:34 pm

I wasn’t at it but you would have thought that no 2 v’s no 8 in the league should have had a more emphatic win. No try bonus point.

What is noticeable is the amount of churn in the Trinity team in the last few weeks. Obviously injury plays a part but so too does squad rotation, call ups to the senior AIL team and also call ups to various age grade provincial teams. The replacement players are very good and in some cases can be argued to be better, but the cohesiveness of the team does suffer. I'm sure most of the opposition have similar issues (some more than others) but it does explain some inconsistency. I guess its likely to be a big issue come the U20s going to 6nations squad at the end of Jan.

With UCD & Terenure loosing, Old Belvo could have closed the gap to 4th place but they lost to Blackrock. The fact that it Rocks 1st win of the season is amazing. I saw them in the 1st round of the league and they looked pretty good.

Another emphatic win by Clontarf against UCD to continue their unbeaten run.
Last edited by TrapperChamonix on December 3rd, 2018, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm

TrapperChamonix wrote:I wasn’t at it but you would have thought that no 2 v’s no 8 in the league should have had a more emphatic win. No try bonus point.

What is noticeable is the amount of churn in the Trinity team in the last few weeks. Obviously injury plays a part but so too does squad rotation, call ups to the senior AIL team and also call ups to various age grade provincial teams. The replacement players are very good and in some cases can be argued to be better, but the cohesiveness of the team does suffer. I'm sure most of the opposition have similar issues (some more than others) but it does explain some inconsistency. I guess its likely to be a big issue come the U20s going to 6nations squad at the end of Jan.

With UCD & Terenure loosing, Old Belvo could have closed the gap to 4th place but they lost to Blackrock. The fact that it Rocks 1st win of the season is amazing. I saw them in the 1st round of the league and they looked pretty good.


Yeah, I think Ryan Baird was playing for U20b side but I could be wrong, which would be odd. Jack Dunne too.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » December 3rd, 2018, 2:02 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
Yeah, I think Ryan Baird was playing for U20b side but I could be wrong, which would be odd. Jack Dunne too.


Jack Dunne was playing for the AIL team. Not sure your reference to Baird. Did you mean Leinster/Ireland U20B ? He definitely wasnt on the Trinity U20B
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 3rd, 2018, 3:41 pm

TrapperChamonix wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Yeah, I think Ryan Baird was playing for U20b side but I could be wrong, which would be odd. Jack Dunne too.


Jack Dunne was playing for the AIL team. Not sure your reference to Baird. Did you mean Leinster/Ireland U20B ? He definitely wasnt on the Trinity U20B


ah okay.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm

UCD u20 side that lost to Tarf at the weekend

1. Chris Hennessy
2. Sean Molony
3. Michael Milne
4. Cian Reilly
5. Mark Smith
6. John Fairley
7. Mark Fleming
8. Dan O'Donovan
9. Henry McCosker
10. James Tarrant
11. Alex O'Grady
12. Jay Barron
13. David Ryan
14. Tom Ryan
15. Luke Maloney
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 10th, 2018, 10:16 am

Blackrock College RFC0 (0) V 52 (8)Dublin University
MU Barnhall10 (1) V 15 (2)Lansdowne
Old Belvedere31 (5) V 44 (6)UCD
Terenure College RFC29 (4) V 36 (4)Clontarf
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 10th, 2018, 12:39 pm

UCD u20 side that defeated OB

1. Michael Milne - 1 try
2. Sean Molony - 1 try
3. Evin Coyle - 1 try
4. Ronan O'Byrne
5. Mark Smith
6. Cian Reilly - 1 try
7. Jon Landers
8. Dan O'Donovan
9. Shane Murphy
10. James Tarrant
11. Alex O'Grady
12. David Ryan- 1 try
13. Marc Baker - 1 try
14. Harry Donnelly
15. Luke Maloney
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » December 10th, 2018, 2:39 pm

any teamsheets for DUFC, Clontarf or Lansdowne?
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » January 21st, 2019, 9:55 am

League back up and running

20th Jan JP Fanagan 1
Trinity 34 - 19 Old Belvo
Clontarf 31 - 30 Barnhall
Lansdowne 36 - 14 Blackrock
UCD 10 - 17 Terenure

Barnhall must feel very aggrieved that they have come up just shot to an away win at Tarf. I understand Clontarf had a number of injuries in the front 5 but they maintain a 6 point lead v's Trinity.

Terenure complete the double v UCD which puts them 1 point Behind UCD in the hunt for top4 and a spot in the all ireland (less Ulster) knockout.





JP Fanagan 2
No real movement with the top 4 all winning
Trinity 40 - 17 Old Belvo
Buccaneers 15 - 20 Old Wesley
NUIG 16 - 23 Galwegians
Marys 31 - 7 Greystones
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » January 21st, 2019, 7:43 pm

No sign of Tom Maher for UCD, which is notable.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » January 28th, 2019, 10:32 am

27th Jan

JP Fanagan Premier 1
Rock 0 - 24 Clontarf
Old Belvo 14 - 27 Lansdowne
UCD 50 - 7 Trinity
Barnhall v Terenure Play Monday

Clontarf continue their perfect run with 10 bonus point wins out of 10.
I don't think anyone saw the UCD/Trinity scoreline coming. Trinitys loss all but guarantees Clontarf winning the league as they would have to loose 3 out of their remaining 4 games for anyone to catch them.
Lansdowne win closes the gap to Trinity and they play each other next week.
What remains up for grabs is the 4th place and therefore entry to the Fraser McMullen cup. If Terenure were to get a bonus point win v Barnhall tonight it would bring them to within a point of UCD.


JP Fanagan 2

Trinity v Greystones - conceeded by Greystones
NUIG 26 - 48 Buccaneers
Old Belvo 24 - 45 Old Wes
Marys 22 - 27 Galwegians

Old Wesley lead widens following Marys defeat by Galwegians
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » January 28th, 2019, 10:55 am

any idea what happened in trinity UCD game?
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » January 28th, 2019, 12:42 pm

I didn't see it. There were a few players missing through injury and call ups (e.g. Mick O'Kennedy & Guiseppe Coyne part of AIL team beating Clontarf) but nothing that would have predicted a loss of that scale. Sounds like a poor Trinity performance matched by a very good performance by UCD.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » January 28th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Old Belvedere 14 Lansdowne 27

Lansdowne U20s continued their fine start to 2019 with a bonus point win against Old Belvedere at Angelsea Rd.

Playing with a stiff breeze, Lansdowne started poorly. A wayward kick out on the full gave Old Belvedere a foothold inside Lansdowne territory, from which they took full advantage of by rumbling over for a converted try after some poor Lansdowne tackling.

Lansdowne replied when Sean Galvin darted over for an unconverted try after a fine break out by captain David Lynch from his own 22. From the restart, Lansdowne attacked again, and David Lynch finished off well out to score out wide.

Just before half time James Kenny sniped over for a great individual try. Both of these were converted by Stephen Madigan to give Lansdowne a 19-7 lead at the break.

Lansdowne were growing in confidence now with Matt Healy, Caolim Fassbender and Darragh Murphy winning good possession out of touch. And it was from a lineout within the Old Belvedere 22 that James Kenny finished off an attacking maul to extend the lead.

To their credit, Old Belvedere replied with a maul try of their own to narrow the gap. Stephen Madigan put the result beyond doubt with a well taken penalty with a couple of minutes to go.

A very good result and many thanks to all our supporters who attended.



Tries: James Kenny (2), Sean Galvin, David Lynch.

Conv: Stephen Madigan (2)

Pen: Stephen Madigan
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » January 28th, 2019, 6:00 pm

JP Fanagan League Div 1 UCD U20A 50 Trinity (DUFC) 7

The U20’s put their recent indifferent form to one side as they fired in eight tries against Trinity and in so doing regained the Fresher’s Colours Jamsie Maher Cup by virtue of the greater aggregate score (67-48) having lost the encounter in College Park in late October 41-17.
At last Ian Wyse’s side released their potential on an unsuspecting Trinity team and boosted their chances of a top-four finish and thus qualification for the Fraser McMullan Trophy. The “half-century” of points is the highest scored against Trinity by Collidge at this level.
First-half tries from John Fairley (2), David Ryan,and Jeff O’Loughlin were replied to by a Trinity try just on the whistle for half-time .. UCD 26 Trinity 7.
The relentless Collidge pressure coupled with skilful handling, out-wide running and scrum dominance (where Evin Coyle was imperious) continued throughout the second period, kept Trinity scoreless and yielded another four tries from Harry Donnelly, David Ryan, Jay Barron and Cian Reilly. James Tarrant kicked 10 points. Full-time: UCD 50 Trinity 7.

UCD: 15 Luke Maloney; 14 Harry Donnelly; 13 Jay Barron; 12 David Ryan; 11 Jeff O’Loughlin; 10 James Tarrant; 9 Shane Murphy; 1 Chris Hennessy; 2 Richie Bergin; 3 Evin Coyle; 4 Mark Smith; 5 Cian Reilly (Capt); 6 Cian Prendergast; 7 John Fairley; 8 Mark Fleming. Replacements: 16 Charlie Byrne; 17 Mike Varnham; 18 Rory Corr; 19 Robin Stokes; 20 Henry McCosker; 21 Ross Deegan; 22 Chris Egan.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 12th, 2019, 10:24 am

Clontarf continue their imperious form with their 11th bonus point victory in a row. This time a 40 - 22 victory against Old Belvo (I understand it was closer than the score suggests) They have arguable their 3 toughest opponents in their last 3 games (DUFC, Lansdowne and UCD), but they would need to loose all 3 in order for Trinity to have a chance of catching them. They have a chance of going unbeated for the regular season.

In the battle for 2nd place Trinity bounced back with a 3 try to 1 victory away to Lansdowne. In contrast to their previous weeks performance they were aggressive, disciplined and accurate.They extend their lead over Lansdowne to 6 points with both teams having a similar run in to the end of Regular season.
Trinity: H v Clontarf; A v Terenure; H v Barnhall
Lansdowne: A v UCD, A v Clontarf, H v Terenure.

Battle for 4th took a turn with Terenure loosing to Blackrock and UCD winning away v Barnhall. This means UCD have now built up an 8th point lead with 3 games to go.
UCD: H v Lansdowne; A v Blackrock; H v Clontarf
Terenure: A v Old Belvo; H v Trinity; A v Lansdowne
If all goes according to form its hard to see Terenure over taking UCD

The only fly in the ointment is if Clontarf were to win the league in their next match, how much would that effect their selection in the following weeks. The would obviously keep playing their hardest to the end, but there would be a natural tendency to give more fringe players some game time.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 12th, 2019, 10:30 am

In the JP Fanagan Premier 2 the top 3 teams Old Wes, Trinity and Marys all won and retain their respective positions. Old Wes are 9 points ahead of Trinity who are 1 point of Marys who are 4 points ahead of Galwegians. There are still 5 rounds to go in this league so plenty can change


Old Wesley
40 (6) V 10 (1)
NUIG
Energia Park (Donnybrook)


15:00
Buccaneers
10 (1) V 17 (2)
St Marys College RFC
Dubarry Park


15:00
Galwegians
25 (4) V 31 (5)
Dublin University
Crowley Park-Glenina-Galway


15:00
Old Belvedere
15 (2) V 34 (4)
Greystones
Anglesea Road
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Postby mildlyinterested » February 12th, 2019, 10:31 am

TrapperChamonix wrote:Clontarf continue their imperious form with their 11th bonus point victory in a row. This time a 40 - 22 victory against Old Belvo (I understand it was closer than the score suggests) They have arguable their 3 toughest opponents in their last 3 games (DUFC, Lansdowne and UCD), but they would need to loose all 3 in order for Trinity to have a chance of catching them. They have a chance of going unbeated for the regular season.

In the battle for 2nd place Trinity bounced back with a 3 try to 1 victory away to Lansdowne. In contrast to their previous weeks performance they were aggressive, disciplined and accurate.They extend their lead over Lansdowne to 6 points with both teams having a similar run in to the end of Regular season.
Trinity: H v Clontarf; A v Terenure; H v Barnhall
Lansdowne: A v UCD, A v Clontarf, H v Terenure.

Battle for 4th took a turn with Terenure loosing to Blackrock and UCD winning away v Barnhall. This means UCD have now built up an 8th point lead with 3 games to go.
UCD: H v Lansdowne; A v Blackrock; H v Clontarf
Terenure: A v Old Belvo; H v Trinity; A v Lansdowne
If all goes according to form its hard to see Terenure over taking UCD

The only fly in the ointment is if Clontarf were to win the league in their next match, how much would that effect their selection in the following weeks. The would obviously keep playing their hardest to the end, but there would be a natural tendency to give more fringe players some game time.


any idea on trinity team?
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2950
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests