Joe Tomane

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Joe Tomane

Post by johng »

Well then what makes you think it's directed at you then?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

johng wrote:Yeah Joe Schmidt. A top 14. 2 H cups. Pro12. Amlin. 3 X 6 nations including GS. Winning Tour in SH. In 8 years. What would he know about rugby?

I'm sure he is selecting Carberry out of stubbornness rather because he can see more talent in him.
Had an interesting side thought on this. Does anybody think Joey would have got less time over these AI's if he had said no to the Munster move (assuming that JS was telling the truth and he was only acting in an advisery capacity and was never going to 'black ball' Joey for staying)?

I mean whatever about the AB game (even though JS seemed to be struggling for quite some time towards the end), I would have thought, after you'd nailed your colours to the mast in relation to your second choice 10, he would have been given at least 15 to 20 mins in the Arg game?

If you're not going to trust your second choice 10 when you've a 2 score lead to bring the game home when are you going to?

Taken in isolation over these 2 games (the big one's over the AI's) JC's only real major contribution was to kick the ball out at the end.

Yep, I know it's all about playing the long game but still, I was expecting more.

Just a thought!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I see Neil Francis is ringing an old bell yesterday re the Leinster 'Hamstring epidemic'.

If Leinster feel there is not an issue here (ie the hamstring problems are just a coincidence) should they not address this to defend the S&C processes and coaches? Is ignoring NF the best way to go?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeinsterLeader wrote:I see Neil Francis is ringing an old bell yesterday re the Leinster 'Hamstring epidemic'.

If Leinster feel there is not an issue here (ie the hamstring problems are just a coincidence) should they not address this to defend the S&C processes and coaches? Is ignoring NF the best way to go?
Who?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:I see Neil Francis is ringing an old bell yesterday re the Leinster 'Hamstring epidemic'.

Who?
Well that sorts that then :lol:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I'd say Francis can't remember what he's written five minutes after he's submitted it to his editor so I really wouldn't waste any time in refuting any of his usual half-assed musings.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

I'm conscious he generally gets rough copy on here but am i alone in enjoying Franno's "musings"?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

tingman wrote:I'm conscious he generally gets rough copy on here but am i alone in enjoying Franno's "musings"?
Nope.

He has no need to placate the powers that be and doesn't give a flying fcuk what anyone thinks of him.

Refreshing in this day and age even if he is wide of the mark sometimes.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Joe Tomane

Post by artaneboy »

tingman wrote:I'm conscious he generally gets rough copy on here but am i alone in enjoying Franno's "musings"?
There hardly a journalist that writes about rugby that doesn’t get a regular kicking here. We’re a cranky shower of (mostly) over-informed nitpickers. Murray Kinsella, by virtue of the type of detailed analysis he provides us dweebs, is the general exception to that rule. Although even St Murray got a few digs here lately for daring criticise our orthodoxy.

But while Francis can be entertaining- even a few good jokes over the years, he is an egregious example of the lazy hack. He’s also carelessly inaccurate in his “facts”. No wonder the Sindo loves him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Heard on Saturday that his rehab is a bit ahead of schedule and he's back running this week.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

limecat wrote:Heard on Saturday that his rehab is a bit ahead of schedule and he's back running this week.
Yeah he showed himself jogging on instagram.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeh heard same at weekend. Maybe give him a few run outs with an ail team to get his match fitness up. Struggling to see where he fits in after the emergence of Conor O'Brien and how well Reid has done this year. Even the back up on the wings are flying. Kearney and daly are fit while Lowe and Byrne are prob nailed on to start on Sunday. Then where do u play larmour if rk is avail? Tomane will do well to see any gametime if they are all fit. Even with 6 nations I would rather the young lads ahead of him. Sob was close to playing a couple of weeks ago but picked up a thigh strain in training so knocked him back a bit.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

carlow man wrote:Yeh heard same at weekend. Maybe give him a few run outs with an ail team to get his match fitness up. Struggling to see where he fits in after the emergence of Conor O'Brien and how well Reid has done this year. Even the back up on the wings are flying. Kearney and daly are fit while Lowe and Byrne are prob nailed on to start on Sunday. Then where do u play larmour if rk is avail? Tomane will do well to see any gametime if they are all fit. Even with 6 nations I would rather the young lads ahead of him. Sob was close to playing a couple of weeks ago but picked up a thigh strain in training so knocked him back a bit.
Tomane looks like he's going to be a victim of Leinster's success for this season at least.
One more win and we're almost home and hosed which would leave a lot of match time for development of the next generation.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

He will only have a year left on his deal and can't see the point in extending it. With the lads coming through plus with Kelleher coming back, tomane isn't going to play wing. Much depends on Reid going to Leicester or staying on here. If Noel leaves it prob means frawley will be involved in match day 23 more often and his ability to cover 10, 12 and 15 will tell the coaches that joe may aswell move on.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Players who are taking the paycheck and not pushing themselves also don't come back from big injuries ahead of schedule that often.

Maybe it's a bit soon to dismiss him.

We won't have Ringrose and Henshaw (and Kearney and Larmour) for the 6N. Without McGrath there's a little less time for Lowe. If Ross Byrne spends like in camp then Reid/Frawley play outhalf. Keenan is still out for a while.

Tomane covers 4 positions and if he hits his form he will be very effective. If he starts ripping up trees then he could help us win something.

Even with the abbove out there is still Reid, COB, Adam Byrne, Lowe, Ferg, D Kearney, ROL. If Tomane can force his way in then it's a good thing for Leinster.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

carlow man wrote:Yeh heard same at weekend. Maybe give him a few run outs with an ail team to get his match fitness up. Struggling to see where he fits in after the emergence of Conor O'Brien and how well Reid has done this year. Even the back up on the wings are flying. Kearney and daly are fit while Lowe and Byrne are prob nailed on to start on Sunday. Then where do u play larmour if rk is avail? Tomane will do well to see any gametime if they are all fit. Even with 6 nations I would rather the young lads ahead of him. Sob was close to playing a couple of weeks ago but picked up a thigh strain in training so knocked him back a bit.
Two separate things here: your judgement of comparative value and your preference.

The others mentioned will hardly ever all be available- and even if they were, Tamone is (even with the discounted value placed on him here), as good or suitable an option as most mentioned. There’s certainly room for him in the squad.

Joe is an international player- of good quality. He hadn’t been lucky or in form since he came here. But there’s no way that the management would- or should favour young players just because they are young or ‘native born/ bred’. Those young players have got plenty of chances to shine- and in fairness have done so. But Tamone is as valuable an asset to us and I’ve no doubt that Leo and co share that view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

When would dave k, Byrne, daly, lowe, obrien and Reid not be available. Can't see any of the Irish lads being involved with the national team so why would tomane get picked ahead of them if hes no better? He prob has something to offer but struggle to see how his wages are justified when we have our own home grown guys who are as good if not better than him?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Tomane will be picked if he is good enough, and not if he isn't.

I think he'll be good enough.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:Tomane will be picked if he is good enough, and not if he isn't.

I think he'll be good enough.
Based on what though? Technically and physically can you point to what he does that will fit in with our style of play?

I see him as being too slow off the line, lacking physicality, lacking agility, and too poor a tackler to play at 12, and his passing isn't good either.

As a winger his kick chase isn't good enough, positioning is poor, and seems to have lost his wheels.

Apologies for the really harsh assessment but I'm pretty confident that everything I've said is correct and genuinely curious how you've seen anything different. He was a brilliant winger when he broke through for Oz, but that was a long time ago now and the pace that made him a threat doesn't seem to be there. In his prime he was an out and out winger, I would never have thought that he could play elsewhere and that hasn't exactly changed now that he's not as physically impressive.

I actually feel bad for being so harsh on him but your opinion seems to just be based on the fact that he's a former international who should be on a decent wedge, nothing actually related to the pitch.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Based on other players who have taken time to bed in. There were some risk factors with Tomane so we knew he was a risky signing. Montpellier paid to get him off their books and he was heavier than his international days.

Leinster are a hard working team with a premium on agility. We always expected that he would need to slim down a bit within our systems.

He had some good moments for us but looked a bit off the pace in phase play. Even injured, he's still working for us and the different priorities we have relative to Montpellier.

When he comes back he might not continue his same form, hence give the guy a chance. What benefit is there to giving up on him?