Dublin Pubs with Irish music

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Widcombeboy
Beginner

Dublin Pubs with Irish music

Post by Widcombeboy »

Hi Guys
Bath Supporter here.I hope you guys and girls have a great time in Bath, and also we don't get humiliated on the pitch.
Me and my family are coming over for the return match in Dublin. Would appreciate info on some good Dublin pubs with live traditional music.
Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Dublin Pubs with Irish music

Post by paddyor »

Widcombeboy wrote:Hi Guys
Bath Supporter here.I hope you guys and girls have a great time in Bath, and also we don't get humiliated on the pitch.
Me and my family are coming over for the return match in Dublin. Would appreciate info on some good Dublin pubs with live traditional music.
Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave
Hi,
you might be a bit hard pressed in the city centre for options. Off the top of my head I think the celt on Talbot street. The Cobblestone always has something on. O'Neills on Suffolkstreet is probably the most central but I'm not sure how regular it is. THe first 2 always have something on. There's one in hte middle of Temple bar who's name escapes me but you'll be paying thru the nose for pints there so maybe avoid unless you're desparate. Enjoy your weekend.
Slainte.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

ODonoghues in Merrion row
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave
Hi Dave - welcome and hope you have a great time over here.

If you're ok with it, let us know where you are staying and we might be able to give some specific advice. I'm happy to check out what might be on in whatever part of town you are based. But in general terms......

The Official Leinster Supporters Group (OLSC) produce a guide to Dublin for travelling supporters - very high level : https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/download-t ... to-dublin/

For music - there are pubs in Temple Bar area that regularly have trad music but... you won't find many on here who are fans of Temple Bar area. It's a bit "stag and hen central"

O'Donoghue's as mentioned above often has informal sessions and is also fairly central and walkable from Lansdowne Road. It's also a good traditional pub for a pint before or after the game if you want something not too close to the stadium.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

As mentioned above let us know where your staying and also you say family, what ages are we talking?

O'Donaghues is a good "Music" pub, where The Dubliners were formed but would expect it to be busy on that Saturday evening.
badger79
Bookworm

Post by badger79 »

Devitt’s on Camden Street does a proper trad session (upstairs from 9.30 till late). Not touristy like most that you will find in the city centre. And you can even follow the crowd of young wans across to Coppers afterward if you are brave - or drunk - enough!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave
just off O'connell street :-

http://piperscorner.ie/
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Barry wrote:
Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave

Good shout. I was racking my brains for that one.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Widcombeboy
Beginner

Post by Widcombeboy »

Cheers guys. We are staying near North Dock, close to the Samuel Beckett Bridge

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Widcombeboy
Beginner

Post by Widcombeboy »

R-Dog wrote:As mentioned above let us know where your staying and also you say family, what ages are we talking?

O'Donaghues is a good "Music" pub, where The Dubliners were formed but would expect it to be busy on that Saturday evening.
We are staying nr North Dock nr the Samuel Beckett Bridge. My two kids, well there grown up! So Beer and Guiness and good Irish food is on the menu [WHITE SMILING FACE]

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote:
Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave
Hi,
you might be a bit hard pressed in the city centre for options. Off the top of my head I think the celt on Talbot street. The Cobblestone always has something on. O'Neills on Suffolkstreet is probably the most central but I'm not sure how regular it is. THe first 2 always have something on. There's one in hte middle of Temple bar who's name escapes me but you'll be paying thru the nose for pints there so maybe avoid unless you're desparate. Enjoy your weekend.
Slainte.
Would definitely recommend The Cobblestone at the top of Smithfield. To me, that's both the most reliably good pub for trad, and you can get lucky and get some absolutely outstanding musicians there on a good night. It's not a tourist trap, it's the real deal with a long, long history behind it. A little off the beaten track for a rugby weekend, but well worth the effort.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Widcombeboy wrote:
R-Dog wrote:As mentioned above let us know where your staying and also you say family, what ages are we talking?

We are staying nr North Dock nr the Samuel Beckett Bridge. My two kids, well there grown up! So Beer and Guiness and good Irish food is on the menu [WHITE SMILING FACE]

you're beside The Ferryman - good spot for music (just don't bring any flags - they're big into their H&S)
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote:Would definitely recommend The Cobblestone at the top of Smithfield. To me, that's both the most reliably good pub for trad, and you can get lucky and get some absolutely outstanding musicians there on a good night. It's not a tourist trap, it's the real deal with a long, long history behind it. A little off the beaten track for a rugby weekend, but well worth the effort.
Only thing about it is that it's usually quite packed and the music doesn't really travel well around the pub.There's another behind the four courts on Chancery Place called Hughes, but AFAIK it only does it Sunday nights. Great spot for a lock in on bank holiday weekend. Some of the musicians are bit snotty about the Cobbler and regard it as a bit of tourist show(they still do sessions there).
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Widcombeboy
Beginner

Post by Widcombeboy »

Many thanks everyone, and well played at The Rec. Not sure Bath will be able to repeat that level of intensity this weekend. I fear your team will improve.
Looking forwards to the game and a long weekend in your City
Sorry about the flags, that was pathetic from our lot!

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

paddyor wrote:
Barry wrote:
Many thanks
Sláinte
Dave

Good shout. I was racking my brains for that one.
I haven't been myself but I know a lot a lads that go here for a session, some of whom are trad musicians themselves, so I'd say it's the best shout.
Widcombeboy
Beginner

Post by Widcombeboy »

Cheers guys were off to the Ferrymans and then Pipers Corner!

Widcombeboy
Beginner

Post by Widcombeboy »

Just wanted to say a big thankyou for your pub suggestions. We went to the Cobblestone on Sunday afternoon and spent a couple of hours listening to some wonderful musicions. A great pub. Also visited the Pipers corner but I think the Xmas drinkers weren't too interested in the music there.
Well done for your victory, As I feared your team improved massively and played the sort of rugby our supporters can only dream of. I fear Bath are in some serious trouble this year as there Is no one team definately for the drop. Our attack is non existent and defence poor at times.
Good luck for your season & merry Xmas