Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Laighin Break »

There's an interesting episode of the podcast 99% Invisible where they discuss the layout of hospitals.
Some guy, when planning a new hospital, got people to trace the route cancer patients had in the hospital on a typical trip - from waiting room to one treatment room to another etc - and found that they were really poorly designed where they had to go all over the place, up and down corridors and to different floors.

My sister is a doctor in Australia and working in a newly built Children's Hospital. I've seen videos of it and it is amazing.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Laighin Break wrote:There's an interesting episode of the podcast 99% Invisible where they discuss the layout of hospitals.
Some guy, when planning a new hospital, got people to trace the route cancer patients had in the hospital on a typical trip - from waiting room to one treatment room to another etc - and found that they were really poorly designed where they had to go all over the place, up and down corridors and to different floors.

My sister is a doctor in Australia and working in a newly built Children's Hospital. I've seen videos of it and it is amazing.
The problem with the Irish and particularly our politicians and civil servants is that "reinventing the wheel" is mandatory.
It has got another name.
"Wasting the taxpayers money" for which they have absolutely no respect.
If it's in the budget, it must be spent
Use it or lose it is a really sh!tty way to run a country or county council but that's the way it's done.
And it's used to justify unnecessary spending.
If we don't spend it this year, we lose it. FFS
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Spuds have been on my plate for practically every meal I have ever had (slight exaggeration, would not have spuds for breakfast for eg.).
Don't think I've ever had a meal that didn't involve meat, chicken or fish.
Now apparently, according to a report on the wireless this morning, it's all very bad for me, very very bad indeed. Who knew?
Anthropology says that a switch to a meat based diet, in our ancient ancestors was key to our evolution into modern intelligent humans.
Someone is wrong.
Anyway's it steak and chips tonight!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:Spuds have been on my plate for practically every meal I have ever had (slight exaggeration, would not have spuds for breakfast for eg.).
Don't think I've ever had a meal that didn't involve meat, chicken or fish.
Now apparently, according to a report on the wireless this morning, it's all very bad for me, very very bad indeed. Who knew?
Anthropology says that a switch to a meat based diet, in our ancient ancestors was key to our evolution into modern intelligent humans.
Someone is wrong.
Anyway's it steak and chips tonight!
[Wealthy 90 yr old Brexiteer deciding what university research to help fund]: Let me see now, how did we suppress the Irish the last time?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oh and chicken = meat
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:Oh and chicken = meat
Chicken = finger lickin
forgot to metion that this report also put all dairy products into the same catergory, ie, poison.

We should be eating nuts, only certain veggies, and grains.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

So it looks like Varadkar is ahead of the curve. He must be smiling into his pulses this morning.
Four Stars
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote: Anthropology says that a switch to a meat based diet, in our ancient ancestors was key to our evolution into modern intelligent humans.
!
[citation needed]

and
blockhead wrote:[
That sounds off to me. For a start where's the fruit? What about pulses? Most people these days suggest cutting down on grains (I don't mean just gluten which is only an issue for coeliacs). The whole paleodiet fad of a few years ago was hilarious. Not so much the concept as the name. What was a paleohuman diet? Whatever they could get in that place at that time of the year. Anything they could possibly eat. How much meat did they eat? As much as possible (though of course red meat may not have been possible but snails and insects and shellfish were huge sources of protein for paleohumans). At what point of the evolution of the digestive tract are you going to stop paleo at? Because most of it developed when we were little tree rats eating fruit, nuts, insects, carrion, whatever...
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

honeyec wrote:
RoboProp wrote:The new Leinster HEC winners tee is €7 dearer for the XL size than it is for Small. Sizist bullspit. I was going to buy it for the listed 22 but then saw the small for 15 and said "funk that for a game of soldiers"
Mein Gott, you're right! Next time I go into Hickey's I'm going to demand a metre of fabric for the same price they'd charge for 50cm. The logic is faultless, it has to work...
Yeah f%~k this post. Shoulda said it then
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote:
blockhead wrote: Anthropology says that a switch to a meat based diet, in our ancient ancestors was key to our evolution into modern intelligent humans.
!
[citation needed]

and
blockhead wrote:[
That sounds off to me. For a start where's the fruit? What about pulses? Most people these days suggest cutting down on grains (I don't mean just gluten which is only an issue for coeliacs). The whole paleodiet fad of a few years ago was hilarious. Not so much the concept as the name. What was a paleohuman diet? Whatever they could get in that place at that time of the year. Anything they could possibly eat. How much meat did they eat? As much as possible (though of course red meat may not have been possible but snails and insects and shellfish were huge sources of protein for paleohumans). At what point of the evolution of the digestive tract are you going to stop paleo at? Because most of it developed when we were little tree rats eating fruit, nuts, insects, carrion, whatever...
Oh what a carrion
ha ha ha ha ha
He's Ebeneezer Goode
Eezer Goode, Eezer Goode

Sorry
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
honeyec wrote:
RoboProp wrote:The new Leinster HEC winners tee is €7 dearer for the XL size than it is for Small. Sizist bullspit. I was going to buy it for the listed 22 but then saw the small for 15 and said "funk that for a game of soldiers"
Mein Gott, you're right! Next time I go into Hickey's I'm going to demand a metre of fabric for the same price they'd charge for 50cm. The logic is faultless, it has to work...
Yeah f%~k this post. Shoulda said it then
Brilliant.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Exactly how many years have you been festering on that one Robo?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote:Exactly how many years have you been festering on that one Robo?
The elephantine never forget :lol:

And 7 :evil:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote:Estate Agents.. enough said
To add to this, solicitors, and fuckwit buyers and sellers who can't agree a date, and who book services despite a date not being agreed. :evil:
Anyone But New Zealand
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

FLIP wrote:
FLIP wrote:Estate Agents.. enough said
To add to this, solicitors, and fuckwit buyers and sellers who can't agree a date, and who book services despite a date not being agreed. :evil:
I agree.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They are down below snake's bellys used car salesmen and German hippys
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

This will come as a surprise to some but I'm not an Estate Agent. :lol:
A good solicitor is very useful as sometimes you need to be able to fight fire with fire.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote:This will come as a surprise to some but I'm not an Estate Agent. :lol:
A good solicitor is very useful as sometimes you need to be able to fight fire with fire.
In those cases they're an asshole, but they're your asshole. And they will charge you nicely for the privilege.
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

FLIP wrote:
Oldschool wrote:This will come as a surprise to some but I'm not an Estate Agent. :lol:
In those cases they're an asshole, but they're your asshole. And they will charge you nicely for the privilege.
My Dad tends to refer to them as leeches
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The meedja may be totally focused on governance in the FAI ind the antics of Delaney as Chief Executive but our own Governing Body are no paragons when it comes to governance matters and the IRFU has been conducting an internal review, chaired by a legal eminence for the past three years. 'Under review' is the most often used cover story for lack of corporate action in governance, whether in business or sports bodies.