Leinster v Ulster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Mountjoy
Beginner

Leinster v Ulster

Post by Mountjoy »

Hi everyone im new to the forum so all the best. Im coming over for the Leinster v Ulster game next week with my son 13. I just wanted to ask will it be ok to go for a pint to pubs around the RDS? Ie is it ok with mg son? Its our first trip to thd RDS , im Irish but born in UK. I also wanted to ask if you think it will be a full strength team because my son wants to see Johnny Sexton and would they rest some players in lieu of the Toulouse game? Sorry for all the dumb questions....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Ulster

Post by wixfjord »

Welcome to the forum Mountjoy and enjoy your trip across!

In terms of pubs, definitely fine to go into any pub near the stadium with your son both pre and after match.

If you haven't been to Dublin before, the stadium is in Ballsbridge, which is handy to get to from town. There are quite a few pubs across the road from the main entrance to the RDS, all of which should have a good atmosphere and be fairly full.

There are also a good few pubs back into town around Baggot Street which will be slightly less full and you may get a seat.

I always like Horse Show House which is just across from the stadium and is quite large.

There are also plenty of bars in the stadium, loads of food places and a supporters bar which opens before and after the game. Usually the have a player Q&A after the game too.
https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/supporters/laighin-out/

In terms of players, they've chosen a lot of the first team tomorrow including Sexton, so unfortunately he might not start against Ulster. Usually the players are rotated around though so I'd say we could expect a team with a lot of internationals. The guys who aren't starting tomorrow like Cronin, Leavy, Toner, Kearney etc will definitely start, and I'd say there'll be a fair few others too.

Should be a good game. Enjoy the trip!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Make sure to head to the changing room side under the anglesea stand before and after the match (it's immediately after the entrance to the south stand). There is a designated area to meet the players. There is every chance you could meet Johnny for a photo/autograph prior/following the match.

Enjoy.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Mountjoy
Beginner

Post by Mountjoy »

Thanks guys good tips there. Is it possible to walk from o’connell st to the rds? Id like to visit my mas old house in Hastings St...
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Thanks guys good tips there. Is it possible to walk from o’connell st to the rds? Id like to visit my mas old house in Hastings St...
You certainly could walk to Hastings Street which is opposite Shelbourne Park Greyhound stadium. That's about 20 to 25 minutes. Then up South Lotts and Shelbourne Road to the RDS is another 15 to 20 minutes.
Last edited by D4surfer on December 29th, 2018, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Mountjoy wrote:Thanks guys good tips there. Is it possible to walk from o’connell st to the rds? Id like to visit my mas old house in Hastings St...
You can walk, it would be about 50 mins I'd say so a bit of a trek. Might be a better option to get bus towards Ringsend and get off near Hastings St and then walk to RDS from there. You'll get to see the Aviva Stadium on the way! (I had to look that street up to be honest, never heard of it before!)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is that not in Ringsend? And therefore closer to the RDS than O'Connell Street.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah. Beat me to it. Unless you have health problems you would walk from there to the ground in 20 or 25 mins
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ps if your ma still had her house you could get half a million for it
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

johng wrote:Ah. Beat me to it. Unless you have health problems you would walk from there to the ground in 20 or 25 mins
I just checked. It's only a mile you could do it in less.
Mountjoy
Beginner

Post by Mountjoy »

Thanks again. I will probably walk from oconnell st to the rds. Im sure there are a few decent pubs on the way! Btw my grandmum sold the house in Hastings st for about 50 quid in the sixties. My mum died this summer in england id like to see where she lived etc...My da was from somewhere near Mountjoy square. They moved to england in the 50s.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

It's a 15 min walk / 5 minute cab ride.

Selection again will be interesting this week. I think if I had to choose between Fardy and Ruddock for the 6 jersey, I'd choose Fardy, but then the implications to players coming through that would be stripped from us as a result wouldn't be worth it, but that's probably our best combination with Leavy at 7 and Conan at 8, Toner and Ryan in the row. I think three big jumpers in the pack is mandatory these days, 4th player is now the auxiliary jumper, such as Conan. That, for me, rules out options such as O'Brien or Leavy at 6, at least as a preference.

I'd hope we'll see near full strength selection anyway to really start ramping up for the following week. Given that Sexton was hauled off after 60 minutes with the game in the balance would suggest he's being looked after as he has a lot of rugby to get through over the next few weeks. Could also mean Byrne is carrying a knock and Frawley needs minutes.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Leinster probably only need to win 5 (even 4 might be enough) of their remaining games to clinch top spot in Conference B.
This game against Ulster should be one of them.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Oldschool wrote:Leinster probably only need to win 5 (even 4 might be enough) of their remaining games to clinch top spot in Conference B.
This game against Ulster should be one of them.
Zebre away, then Kings, Cheetahs and Treviso at home should all be 5 pointers. I do remember Treviso last year but that was an aberration.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Mountjoy wrote:Thanks again. I will probably walk from oconnell st to the rds. Im sure there are a few decent pubs on the way! Btw my grandmum sold the house in Hastings st for about 50 quid in the sixties. My mum died this summer in england id like to see where she lived etc...My da was from somewhere near Mountjoy square. They moved to england in the 50s.
Sorry. I thought you were going to walk from Hastings Street to the RDS.

You can get a dart (local train) from Connolly to the RDS. It's a fair walk.

Connolly is a few minutes walk from O'Connell Street and sandymount station is a few minutes walk from the RDS
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I'd say that James Lowe will get a ban, which leaves us very skinny at winger with so many injuries - McFadden, Barry Daly, Joe Tomane and now Dave Kearney all on the treatment table.

Against that, Adam Byrne is playing super rugby at the moment and would probably start on the right wing anyway. Hopefully RK is fit to play at FB, as he hasn't played a minute since the first Bath match. If he is, the back three sort of picks itself as they're the only three available: Kearney, Adam Byrne, Jordan Larmour. Reider did very well in his first ever start against Munster and has made it a tough call for Cullen and Lancaster at No12 - do they want to push for the O'Loughlin-Ringrose partnership or are they happier keeping everyone in their nominated positions?

Sexton to start at outhalf and Ross Byrne to finish. Difficult choice at scrum-half, because Lowe's [probable] enforced absence means that we have the opportunity to put Gibson-Park into the mix. Luke covered a huge amount of ground against Munster and JGP has been really sharp, so there's a reason to play the latter. But I guess it'll come down to what the coaches think is the best preparation for the Toulouse game.

Looking at the pack, we've got Dev, Leavy, Cro and Porter to come back in. I was hugely impressed by Porter's 40 mins against Connacht and am really looking forward to his second half of the season. The kid is a monster. Dev to come straight back in after a rare week off for him, Fardy to start at six with Lowe out of the team.

Would like to see Max Deegan involved after his big input off the bench against the Turnips. Haven't seen enough of Max at No8 thus far this season, but again he has been impressive with the gametime that he has had.

Forwards [1-8]: Healy, Cronin, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Leavy, Deegan
Backs [9-15]: McGrath, Sexton, Larmour, O'Loughlin, Ringrose, A. Byrne, R. Kearney
Subs [16-23]: B. Byrne, E. Byrne, Furlong, Ruddock, Conan, Gibson-Park, R. Byrne, Reid
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sexton iced his knee and Byrne had a week off. This is a chance to play Byrne and bench Frawley. Why risk Sexton?

Playing Reid also lets ROL play wing. I'm hopeful Lowe doesnt get much, I thought a red card was punishment enough. I'm often wrong in that area though.

I'd also give Molony a start, give Ryan a week off/bench.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote:I'd say that James Lowe will get a ban, which leaves us very skinny at winger with so many injuries - McFadden, Barry Daly, Joe Tomane and now Dave Kearney all on the treatment table.

Against that, Adam Byrne is playing super rugby at the moment and would probably start on the right wing anyway. Hopefully RK is fit to play at FB, as he hasn't played a minute since the first Bath match. If he is, the back three sort of picks itself as they're the only three available: Kearney, Adam Byrne, Jordan Larmour. Reider did very well in his first ever start against Munster and has made it a tough call for Cullen and Lancaster at No12 - do they want to push for the O'Loughlin-Ringrose partnership or are they happier keeping everyone in their nominated positions?

Sexton to start at outhalf and Ross Byrne to finish. Difficult choice at scrum-half, because Lowe's [probable] enforced absence means that we have the opportunity to put Gibson-Park into the mix. Luke covered a huge amount of ground against Munster and JGP has been really sharp, so there's a reason to play the latter. But I guess it'll come down to what the coaches think is the best preparation for the Toulouse game.

Looking at the pack, we've got Dev, Leavy, Cro and Porter to come back in. I was hugely impressed by Porter's 40 mins against Connacht and am really looking forward to his second half of the season. The kid is a monster. Dev to come straight back in after a rare week off for him, Fardy to start at six with Lowe out of the team.

Would like to see Max Deegan involved after his big input off the bench against the Turnips. Haven't seen enough of Max at No8 thus far this season, but again he has been impressive with the gametime that he has had.

Forwards [1-8]: Healy, Cronin, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Leavy, Deegan
Backs [9-15]: McGrath, Sexton, Larmour, O'Loughlin, Ringrose, A. Byrne, R. Kearney
Subs [16-23]: B. Byrne, E. Byrne, Furlong, Ruddock, Conan, Gibson-Park, R. Byrne, Reid
I'd like to see Deegan get a run of games. Conan's stats might be impressive but I just don't see it with him. He hasn't the work rate of Leavy, VDF or the hard b$&%@#d edge of Fardy. Deegan is in the JH MKII mould to me, reads the game, great footwork, good hands. Might need a little more grunt.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

the spoofer wrote:
I'd like to see Deegan get a run of games. Conan's stats might be impressive but I just don't see it with him. He hasn't the work rate of Leavy, VDF or the hard b$&%@#d edge of Fardy. Deegan is in the JH MKII mould to me, reads the game, great footwork, good hands. Might need a little more grunt.
For me that's what Conan gives you. And with a little more grunt.

I think he's very underrated even on here.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
For me that's what Conan gives you. And with a little more grunt.

I think he's very underrated even on here.
Not by me. Top player for us IMO. Always feel better about our chances when he's starting :shock: