Ireland 2018/2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Just re-viewing the Ireland v USA game and was struck by how many of the Irish Squad were born overseas. I count the following:

16. Herring: - S.Africa
3. Bealham: - Australia
19. Roux: - S. Africa
7. Murphy: - Spain
10. Carbery: - N. Z.
15. Addison: - Wales
23. Arnold: - England

That's probably the greatest number I've ever noticed.
You forgot Luke McGrath
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Xanthippe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Just re-viewing the Ireland v USA game and was struck by how many of the Irish Squad were born overseas. I count the following:

You forgot Luke McGrath
And Josh VDF, one of Chester Philips and project: rebirth greatest successes.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Peg Leg wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

You forgot Luke McGrath
And Josh VDF, one of Chester Philips and project: rebirth greatest successes.
To the best of my knowledge Josh was born in Ireland.

His family moved to Wicklow in the 80s.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Certainly I should have included Luke but Josh is Wicklow born. Eight out of 23 is a high proportion but indicative of our diaspora more than World Rugby's regulations as only Quinn Roux falls within that dispensation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Xanthippe wrote:

You forgot Luke McGrath
So I checked the team sheets and since Joe took over this was the third time we've used 8 players who were born overseas. The other games were Fiji in November 2017 and (surprisingly) New Zealand in Chicago in November 2016!!

We also used
7 players 7 times
6 players 7 times
5 players 15 times

The least we've used in the 62 games under Joe is two (6 times)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

xanthippe wrote
You forgot Luke McGrath

So I checked the team sheets and since Joe took over this was the third time we've used 8 players who were born overseas. The other games were Fiji in November 2017 and (surprisingly) New Zealand in Chicago in November 2016!

We also used
7 Players 7 times
6 Players 7 times
5 Playees 15 times

The least we've used in the 62 games under Joe is two (6 times)!

Fascinating. Great research and surprised I didn't notice the contingent in the 2016 game v N.Z. They must all have the appropriate passports and visas.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I guess you wouldn't have been counting Heaslip or Nordi in your head which would make it not stand out. And Joey as his parents came back to Ireland.
EDIT and Dillane was born overseas too before his mother came back to Ireland.

So the squad members that were naturalised or grandparented in are Stander and Payne in the starters and Bealham and Marmion off the bench.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on December 13th, 2018, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Careful folks, Augustin Pichot might see this!!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

If you are born at sea, it doesn't mean you are a mermaid. Surely where people are born is irrelevant. As is skin colour, accent, possession of red hair and freckles, love of tayto, getting all the jokes in fr Ted, etc
What is relevant is whether someone has come through the Irish system or not. If we field a team with all domestically produced players, that shows the system is working. If we have to bring in players with some or all of their development done elsewhere, that shows a weakness in the system.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

heno wrote:If you are born at sea, it doesn't mean you are a mermaid. Surely where people are born is irrelevant. As is skin colour, accent, possession of red hair and freckles, love of tayto, getting all the jokes in fr Ted, etc
What is relevant is whether someone has come through the Irish system or not. If we field a team with all domestically produced players, that shows the system is working. If we have to bring in players with some or all of their development done elsewhere, that shows a weakness in the system

True, if we have to bring them in. But if they are merely some of the returning diaspora, they are a very welcome addition, which does not reflect in any way on the system.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
heno wrote:If you are born at sea, it doesn't mean you are a mermaid. Surely where people are born is irrelevant. As is skin colour, accent, possession of red hair and freckles, love of tayto, getting all the jokes in fr Ted, etc
What is relevant is whether someone has come through the Irish system or not. If we field a team with all domestically produced players, that shows the system is working. If we have to bring in players with some or all of their development done elsewhere, that shows a weakness in the system

True, if we have to bring them in. But if they are merely some of the returning diaspora, they are a very welcome addition, which does not reflect in any way on the system.
And if they move here buy into the system, culture, become part of the community, raise kids, learn the language, take citizenship, give something back to the game, put themselves on the line at club, provincial or national level and none of the foregoing is mutually exclusive.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I'm not saying we shouldn't bring people in if the rules allow and we want or need them.
In general I'm saying I would prefer that we move away from vague terms like "non Irish" or "foreign" "being bad for the game" and move towards more precise definitions like what I tried to do above.
Specifically in this thread I'm saying I don't care where people are born I just want to know if they came through the system or not.

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I don't care where they are born, where they grew up, where they learned Rugby, whether they have an Irish granny, what colour their eyes, shoes or skin is.

All I want to know is. Do they qualify to play for Ireland? Are they happy to play and be committed players? Are their teammates happy with them.

That's it. Not a fan of categorizing players based on any form of eugenics. Or trying to distinguish who is "more Irish" than whoever else. Because it's all bollix. And subjective bollix at that
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:I don't care where they are born, where they grew up, where they learned Rugby, whether they have an Irish granny, what colour their eyes, shoes or skin is.

All I want to know is. Do they qualify to play for Ireland? Are they happy to play and be committed players? Are their teammates happy with them.

That's it. Not a fan of categorizing players based on any form of eugenics. Or trying to distinguish who is "more Irish" than whoever else. Because it's all bollix. And subjective bollix at that
You're not alone, but plenty of others unfortunately take issue with our adherence to the rules. Rugby's phrenologist in chief Franno likes to stoke the flames of this one more than most.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Stuck this in the Connacht tread but it's pertinent enough here. Ultan Dillane is in talks with Racing in France. I know he's not in the squad at the moment but he's rated highly and would easily be a squad player going forward with injuires/retirements to other players.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Talks are just talks sometimes. He’s not even 1st choice for Connacht and the depth chart is getting deeper faster than it shallows.

There are no aging locks who won’t make it much past the RWC. Beirne and Ryan are big additions.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by ronk

There are no aging locks who won’t make it much past the RWC.
I'd think Toner will be let out to pasture at least internationally after the RWC. Admittedly Kleyn is coming on line and will be available but your always one or two injuries off weakening the squad i.e Henderson being injured right now.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by ronk

I'd think Toner will be let out to pasture at least internationally after the RWC. Admittedly Kleyn is coming on line and will be available but your always one or two injuries off weakening the squad i.e Henderson being injured right now.
Form and injury will be the only determinants of Dev's international career. On both scores he has thrived since he hit 30 and there is plenty of precedent for long-lasting second-rows. When someone comes along who can do what Dev does and is as big, or bigger, and quicker, Dev's time will be up. Judged on who's visible at present, Thornbury will be ready in two Seasons.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by ronk

Ha ha ha ha ha - best joke of the New Year.
You'd make a great stand up comedian.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:I don't care where they are born, where they grew up, where they learned Rugby, whether they have an Irish granny, what colour their eyes, shoes or skin is.

So you love all things Munster rugby then?
Yeah sure! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.