Leinster v Toulouse

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Toulouse

Post by backrower8 »

Ringer was immense, world class. At the same time, I can see how Addison will put him under pressure to keep playing to his ability. For me the main difference is that Ringer is probably a superior defensive player and physical presence, but Addison is some talent nonetheless.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Even with the team I was pretty confident Leinster would do a number on their pack and win this game. Still more nervous about the next game because it's on the road, even if Wasps are nowhere near Toulouse's level. Had Luke anytime try scorer. He gets one ruled out. That's how it always goes.

Sat in the North stand. Right at the back.. From there, Ringrose was absolutely outstanding. The best player by a mile. The front row and Ruddock also stood out. Adam Byrne beats a defender every single time. Didn't think Ross Byrne was that good. Started well, looked like he was making a statement. Think the high tackle affected him. Was a speed bump in one attack and seemed to panic in possession with space in front of him. Love seeing Larmour pick out forwards to take on but sometimes he throws a speculative pass. Take the tackle.

Andrew Porter was a demon when he came on. Every time he tackled, the Toulouse runner went backwards. Superb cameo.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

backrower8 wrote:While Porter is great in the lose and arguably better than Furlong around rucks (although nobody hits them better than Tadhg), Porter's scrummaging still needs gametime as he tends to cough-up penalties.

On a day of real positives, it was disappointing and concerning to see Tracy throw crooked to Toulouse when chasing the Bonus Point Try on their 22. Maybe the wind took it, but his throwing remains a concern. Before JGP took the quick tap I was half-joking that Tracy would be dreading the responsibility of the throw.
Nah, not at this or Pro14 level.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote:
backrower8 wrote:While Porter is great in the lose and arguably better than Furlong around rucks (although nobody hits them better than Tadhg), Porter's scrummaging still needs gametime as he tends to cough-up penalties.

On a day of real positives, it was disappointing and concerning to see Tracy throw crooked to Toulouse when chasing the Bonus Point Try on their 22. Maybe the wind took it, but his throwing remains a concern. Before JGP took the quick tap I was half-joking that Tracy would be dreading the responsibility of the throw.
Nah, not at this or Pro14 level.
He coughed up a pen yesterday in fairness.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
tingman wrote:Was in the stand right on the try line with a birds eye view of the 5 minute defensive stand
in the second half.

In this period Andrew Porter was a freeking animal.
It's mad that the undisputed best tighthead in the world must be looking over his shoulder now. We're in a good place
While Porter is great in the lose and arguably better than Furlong around rucks (although nobody hits them better than Tadhg), Porter's scrummaging still needs gametime as he tends to cough-up penalties.

It was a bad call to throw long.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:Even with the team I was pretty confident Leinster would do a number on their pack and win this game. Still more nervous about the next game because it's on the road, even if Wasps are nowhere near Toulouse's level. Had Luke anytime try scorer. He gets one ruled out. That's how it always goes.

Sat in the North stand. Right at the back.. From there, Ringrose was absolutely outstanding. The best player by a mile. The front row and Ruddock also stood out. Adam Byrne beats a defender every single time. Didn't think Ross Byrne was that good. Started well, looked like he was making a statement. Think the high tackle affected him. Was a speed bump in one attack and seemed to panic in possession with space in front of him. Love seeing Larmour pick out forwards to take on but sometimes he throws a speculative pass. Take the tackle.

Andrew Porter was a demon when he came on. Every time he tackled, the Toulouse runner went backwards. Superb cameo.
Re Larmour, sometimes just drive on and set up the recycle.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:
paddyor wrote:Nah, not at this or Pro14 level.
Yeah and there was one against the starters in the first half. We're 97/8 on our own feed, that wouldn't include the one yesterday. Like I'm not worried about our scrum whether he starts or comes on.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
paddyor wrote:Nah, not at this or Pro14 level.
Yeah and there was one against the starters in the first half. We're 97/8 on our own feed, that wouldn't include the one yesterday. Like I'm not worried about our scrum whether he starts or comes on.
Listen, I'm not saying I'm worried by him. But he definitely has a bit to go on the scrummaging side of things, which is fair enough given his ridiculous rise.
The pen yesterday was a fairly poor one, binding on the arm after being warned not to for eg.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm watching it back and can't believe Healy wasn't carded and banned for having the cheek to try and catch the ball. Very little difference between that and what Lowe did, the main one was probably that Conway was able to get up higher than Medard.
Healy stayed standing more or less and wasn't charging into contact, was one huge difference and was virtually stationary in contact. Medard's lack of elevation was notable.
Lowe, on the other hand, left himself wide open to be carded. Conway's elevation no doubt made it worse.
The citing officer won't even bother to look at the incident.
I wasn't being serious. Ever since Lowe was sent off I've been giving out about how those those incidents are reffed, assumed the regulars on here would have known that.

Don't think the incidents were all that different though, and if Medard had decided to somersault in the air and land on his head then suddenly the whole thing is totally different despite Healy not doing anything wrong.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm watching it back and can't believe Healy wasn't carded and banned for having the cheek to try and catch the ball. Very little difference between that and what Lowe did, the main one was probably that Conway was able to get up higher than Medard.
Healy stayed standing more or less and wasn't charging into contact, was one huge difference and was virtually stationary in contact. Medard's lack of elevation was notable.
Lowe, on the other hand, left himself wide open to be carded. Conway's elevation no doubt made it worse.
The citing officer won't even bother to look at the incident.
I wasn't being serious. Ever since Lowe was sent off I've been giving out about how those those incidents are reffed, assumed the regulars on here would have known that.

Don't think the incidents were all that different though, and if Medard had decided to somersault in the air and land on his head then suddenly the whole thing is totally different despite Healy not doing anything wrong.
And I never claimed to be a mind reader and as I don't know you, I've no idea how you might look at things.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Read an article in the French media calling Ringrose 'probably the best centre in the world'. Wouldn't agree with that statement yet but high praise indeed. He was masterfully good yesterday.

I was very encouraged to see Adam Byrne look so comfortable at this level, and Dave Kearney returning to his 2014 form. Those guys have put the shift in for a long time without getting much reward so fair play to them. Larmour continues to grow at this level. Ross Byrne stepped up well as he has done consistently at Heineken Cup level for the last 18 months.

Jack Conan is also getting back to his 2017 best and after a couple of underwhelming performances Rhys Ruddock looked on point again. Cronin was immense, yet again.

Only quibbles would be our scrum at times, and the fact that we might have been a bit more clinical with all our territorial and possession dominance (although to be fair, Toulouse defended very well).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hadn't really thought about it but now that you mention it I can't really think of a centre I'd have ahead of him.
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Superb performance especially by all the pack completely dominated Toulouse. Great skill from Ringrose Lamour Ross Byrne and Kearney who didn't put a foot wrong and played with confidence.
Still not convinced Ross Byrne has the skills to play a running game at highest level but he certainly has the kicking game so hopefully he will get there. Possibly unfair to judge him in a back line without Henshaw Lowe and Rob Kearney.
XyzFoo
Beginner

Post by XyzFoo »

neiliog93 wrote:Read an article in the French media calling Ringrose 'probably the best centre in the world'. Wouldn't agree with that statement yet but high praise indeed. He was masterfully good yesterday.
Always had the sense that Ringrose was underrated outside of Ireland. Those team of the week things that everyone does are not to be taken seriously, obviously, but I always thought he was under-represented on them, for instance.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

etak252 wrote:Superb performance especially by all the pack completely dominated Toulouse. Great skill from Ringrose Lamour Ross Byrne and Kearney who didn't put a foot wrong and played with confidence.
Still not convinced Ross Byrne has the skills to play a running game at highest level but he certainly has the kicking game so hopefully he will get there. Possibly unfair to judge him in a back line without Henshaw Lowe and Rob Kearney.
I'd say it's also unfair to make that point after probably his best running game for Leinster in probably his biggest game.

He was a threat with ball in hand yesterday from minute 1.

Hopefully he can improve from there.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote:
etak252 wrote:Superb performance especially by all the pack completely dominated Toulouse. Great skill from Ringrose Lamour Ross Byrne and Kearney who didn't put a foot wrong and played with confidence.
I'd say it's also unfair to make that point after probably his best running game for Leinster in probably his biggest game.

He was a threat with ball in hand yesterday from minute 1.

Hopefully he can improve from there.

Ross Byrne is not yet 24. He has performed in big pressure Champions Cup matches against Montpellier (away), Exeter & now Toulouse.

Byrne has 61 caps and 300 points for Leinster. I think that compares well with what Johnny (10 years older) had achieved by this stage in his career 10 years ago in January 2009 (32 caps & 60 points). Of course Johnny was benched from December '08 until Dr Fil's injury in May. So Byrne's trajectory is statistically better so far.

That said, I am keen to see if Frawley, who is a beter athlete, has the same game management ability can do over the next few years. Even more intriguing in another way is Harry Byrne. A similar temperament and game manager to his brother but a better athlete, if perhaps not quite at Frawley's pitch.

Great to have these prospects...once we are allowed to keep them.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

neiliog93 wrote:Read an article in the French media calling Ringrose 'probably the best centre in the world'. Wouldn't agree with that statement yet but high praise indeed. He was masterfully good yesterday.

I was very encouraged to see Adam Byrne look so comfortable at this level, and Dave Kearney returning to his 2014 form. Those guys have put the shift in for a long time without getting much reward so fair play to them. Larmour continues to grow at this level. Ross Byrne stepped up well as he has done consistently at Heineken Cup level for the last 18 months.

Jack Conan is also getting back to his 2017 best and after a couple of underwhelming performances Rhys Ruddock looked on point again. Cronin was immense, yet again.

Only quibbles would be our scrum at times, and the fact that we might have been a bit more clinical with all our territorial and possession dominance (although to be fair, Toulouse defended very well).
Ringrose is an amazing talent, I think was one of our best performers last year when fit. Sometimes I think he backs himself a little too much when he makes a break and I find myself screaming at the tv for him to offload but in reality he more often than not he takes the right option. Great to see the two wingers step up after a year in the Celtic cup, be interesting with Cian coming back next year and two boys graduating from the academy who is the squad come September. Big few weeks for Rhys with POM potentially missing the England game.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Something to warm the cockles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdQX5JhUGw. And yes, it was MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Probably not worth mentioning but something I noticed a lot yesterday. Leinster's communication is excellent. Met Ringrose and Larmour at the Ulster game. They're similar age. Probably good mates. Lots of chatting and encouraging each other. High 5s etc. Ringrose is a future captain. Larmour is also good at communicating with his wingers.

Then I watched Toulouse, especially in the first half. Medard and Huget said f%~k all to each other. They'd even drink water but not say a word..looked like total strangers. The centres were never pointing out where to run, who to tackle etc

Leinster just look like an incredibly well drilled squad.
errlloyd
Beginner

Post by errlloyd »

riocard911 wrote:Something to warm the cockles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdQX5JhUGw. And yes, it was MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ross Byrne doesnt look happy at all walking down the tunnel. I think he's hard on himself, like wilko and Sexton. I like that in a player.