Ireland 2018/2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Didn't expect to be shocked by any selections but I am. Can't understand why Ross is left out and why SOB has made it.

Carty has been good and deserves to be there, but not ahead of Ross IMO, and it's just a weird call in a World Cup year when Ross has been around the squad for a while, would love to know why Joe has gone that way. With Sexton carrying an injury I'd have thought four outhalves would be a good idea.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Some surprises in there alright, Carty does deserve the call up and its harsh on Byrne but this is for the early rounds players can still be called in. SOB being called in shows how hghly regarded he is by Schmidt, I can see Leavy being called in at a later date.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dillane back in ahead of Roux. Said recently that he hasn't been at his best for a while (although he's been better recently) but I'm delighted for him.

Moore arguably unlucky.

I would also say that ROL is unlucky but realise that not many others will feel that way.

Blade also deserves to be there regardless of injuries.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't expect to be shocked by any selections but I am. Can't understand why Ross is left out and why SOB has made it.

Carty has been good and deserves to be there, but not ahead of Ross IMO, and it's just a weird call in a World Cup year when Ross has been around the squad for a while, would love to know why Joe has gone that way. With Sexton carrying an injury I'd have thought four outhalves would be a good idea.
It’s almost like Ross Byrne was never really the third choice but by picking him it was easier to justify the Joey mo e, now he’s got Joey to Munster there’s no more need for the pretense
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

or maybe Carty has been picked on form......he has been very very good for Connacht.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Henderson included in the squad. Thought he was a long-term injury.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Henderson included in the squad. Thought he was a long-term injury.
Yeah was supposed to be "up to three months" and happened a month ago.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

flustered wrote:or maybe Carty has been picked on form......he has been very very good for Connacht.
He has, but if we need a third choice to play in the World Cup then I really can't believe Joe would turn to Carty ahead of Ross given how often he's stepped up in big games. He had one awful missed tackle on Saturday but apart from that I can't think how he'd have blotted his copy book recently. The basketball pass looked a bit rubbish but pretty sure it went through Ringrose's hands so don't think it was actually bad.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The one part of the game that Carty does have and Byrne doesn’t is his athleticism. Byrne has improved his attacking the line this season, particularly last week, but you probably need more at test level.

Still, a very harsh call and I thought Byrne was very good in the Autumn too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:The one part of the game that Carty does have and Byrne doesn’t is his athleticism. Byrne has improved his attacking the line this season, particularly last week, but you probably need more at test level.

I think Ross is fine in that regard (for example, the way he got back and covered the bouncing ball on Saturday) but you've got me thinking, could it be a fitness thing? He seemed to cramp up on Saturday and that's happened quite a few times hasn't it?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

harblstuff wrote:Ross Byrne gets f%~ked by Schmidt

Any reason why?
Carberry's transfer to Munster and maybe he wants to give Carty exposure to the Joe way of doing things.
Wouldn't read too much into it other than Sexton must be in good nick.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:For me Conway is ahead of Larmour. Addison is ahead of either Farrell. Scannell is behing Henshaw and Bundee and doesn't count. Blade is well ahead of Shanahan and will be with Murray & Cooney.

McGrath with Healy at LHP. SO'B will be added after he plays against either or both Wasps & Scarlets. Best is outstandingly the best Hooker and his European performances proved this.

Time in Irish Camp is now vital for any potential Irish player. Therefore, whether by injury or otherwise, Blade will be included at this point.

If, as suggested by some, that he will name 41 players, that can include everybody mentioned.
It's possible Joe sees Larmour as FB cover and Conway as wing cover so they're not in direct competition other than the 23 shirt.
In which case Larmour is probably more of a potential impact game changer and has a higher ceiling.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:The one part of the game that Carty does have and Byrne doesn’t is his athleticism. Byrne has improved his attacking the line this season, particularly last week, but you probably need more at test level.

I think Ross is fine in that regard (for example, the way he got back and covered the bouncing ball on Saturday) but you've got me thinking, could it be a fitness thing? He seemed to cramp up on Saturday and that's happened quite a few times hasn't it?
He's fine, it's definitely not a strength of his. He rarely beats players and doesn't score tries.
I couldn't imagine him doing what Carty did in the RDS for eg.

Now he has other great strengths, but we know Schmidt does place a fairly high value of certain physical gifts and is willing to give a player a chance if he thinks he has them.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Funny, thinking about what Joe looks for is why I'm surprised, because I would have thought he'd want a really steady player to step in if needed. I know Joey is there and we've had Madigan in the past, but the circumstances were different and you could argue that Madigan's kicking made him a steadier option than Jackson.

Ross is playing so well that I actually had him penciled in to bench for one of the games :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Given that this is a Leinster rugby forum, I shouldn't be surprised at the outcry greeting Carty's selection. However, barring one terrible 20 mins (last quarter) against Ospreys which definitely cost his team the game, Jack Carty has been in outstanding form this Season and has ensured that Connacht has been successful, attractive and effective.

Bringing three of the players most responsible for that progress into the National Squad is little surprise. So much emphasis is placed on 'knowing the Play-book and patterns' and understanding the work ethic required, are such important constituents of Joe Schmidt's coaching, that NOT bringing in these players would have been a bigger shock.

Well done and congratulations to Blade, Carty and Tom Farrell.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Outcry?
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
flustered wrote:Some surprises in there alright, Carty does deserve the call up and its harsh on Byrne but this is for the early rounds players can still be called in.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Given that this is a Leinster rugby forum, I shouldn't be surprised at the outcry greeting Carty's selection. However, barring one terrible 20 mins (last quarter) against Ospreys which definitely cost his team the game, Jack Carty has been in outstanding form this Season and has ensured that Connacht has been successful, attractive and effective.

Bringing three of the players most responsible for that progress into the National Squad is little surprise. So much emphasis is placed on 'knowing the Play-book and patterns' and understanding the work ethic required, are such important constituents of Joe Schmidt's coaching, that NOT bringing in these players would have been a bigger shock.

Ah I don't think it's an outcry regarding Jack Carty's selection. Anyone who has watched Connacht knows how good he has been this season. Rather it's about Ross Byrne's non selection, particularly given last weekend and that he has been Schmidt's third choice for a while.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

flustered wrote:or maybe Carty has been picked on form......he has been very very good for Connacht.
Yeah, Carty has been playing well. I'd say it was a tight call between him and Ross, but I respect the line of thinking. He's in the best form of his career and a coach should always look to include form players. Carty's had nothing handed to him – 120 appearances for his province before he was selected in any Irish squad.

I see three reasons why Schmidt would pick O'Brien: 1] he has performed brilliantly for him in the past; 2] O'Brien now owes the coach big performances because of Schmidt's faith in him [similar to RK in Chicago]; and 3] O'Brien provides the same positional cover off the bench as Jordi Murphy but has the added benefit of having one of the biggest reps in world rugby. The guy has been legitimately one of the best players in the world.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Given that this is a Leinster rugby forum, I shouldn't be surprised at the outcry greeting Carty's selection. However, barring one terrible 20 mins (last quarter) against Ospreys which definitely cost his team the game, Jack Carty has been in outstanding form this Season and has ensured that Connacht has been successful, attractive and effective.

Ah I don't think it's an outcry regarding Jack Carty's selection. Anyone who has watched Connacht knows how good he has been this season. Rather it's about Ross Byrne's non selection, particularly given last weekend and that he has been Schmidt's third choice for a while.
Carty's placekicking has improved significantly this season.
Heard somewhere that he received some extra coaching from Richie Murphy.
Think Byrne's kicking may also have improved too.
Placekicking is surely one of Joe's metrics for selection.
No doubt somebody will put up some stats to cause even further discord (outrage).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
Yeah, Carty has been playing well. I'd say it was a tight call between him and Ross, but I respect the line of thinking. He's in the best form of his career and a coach should always look to include form players. Carty's had nothing handed to him – 120 appearances for his province before he was selected in any Irish squad.

I see three reasons why Schmidt would pick O'Brien: 1] he has performed brilliantly for him in the past; 2] O'Brien now owes the coach big performances because of Schmidt's faith in him [similar to RK in Chicago]; and 3] O'Brien provides the same positional cover off the bench as Jordi Murphy but has the added benefit of having one of the biggest reps in world rugby. The guy has been legitimately one of the best players in the world.
SOB's inclusion is justified.
Joe just needs to manage him better over the 6Ns.
I'd play him in the Scotland and Italy games and probably the Wales game, definitely not in the England game.
Bench him for the French game.
If he survives that lot then it would give confidence for the RWC.
SOB also needs to play like he knows he has to play himself into form, be patient and not play like the tank we remember until he's ready.