Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by neill_m »

Scarlets have ran out of fit backrow players. Ken Owens starting at no 8 v the Dragons.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Benetton won at home to Glasgow, blows Conference A wide open.
Benetton now second in our conference and likely to be still there at close of business this evening.
Hopefully :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

As expected the annual belly tickle taking place down in the Sportsgrounds.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Once again, we should marvel at the depth emerging in Irish rugby and thank our lucky stars at the coaching excellence through the Provinces. Despite the disappointment in Connacht tonight with their result, the performance of so many individuals was very promising. Leader, Farrell, Carty, Blade, Kelleher, McCabe Heffernan, Thornbury, F'aoinga and Boyle all performed to a high level. The key difference was the Connacht maul, stripped of key components and without the time to work together under Jimmy Duffy, were blown away by the experienced Munster pack - both in defence and attack. As a consequence Connacht couldn't keep field position or exert sufficient pressure on Munster in their half.

A really good interpro game and a genuine contest and Connacht are well in the contest for a play-off position. They play intelligent football and have lots of talent coming through and most of the young guys have improved in every outing.

Farrell looks the form centre in Ireland through these Interprovincials and although it may be too late for him to force his way into the 6N Squad, his progress should be watched closely. Leader is another player who has improved and he might move up another level if he could get some "Joe time" in an international Squad.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46870718

Cockers is having a big old stir in this press briefing.
"We are playing for big stakes here, we are playing for a home quarter-final, we are playing to qualify.

"We are only interested in Edinburgh, but the by-product is getting Glasgow through.

"If we win, we get us through and Glasgow through, so come and support Scottish rugby.

"But come and support Edinburgh. We have got something worth supporting."
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

FLIP wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46870718

"We are playing for big stakes here, we are playing for a home quarter-final, we are playing to qualify.

"We are only interested in Edinburgh, but the by-product is getting Glasgow through.

"If we win, we get us through and Glasgow through, so come and support Scottish rugby.

He does that a lot, and he's dead right. Trying to get some more fans into that massive stadium, they should be getting 30K plus for a game like this.
Cockers will be offered something big on the back of his exploits up in Edinburgh, but he could leave a good legacy behind him before he goes.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:
FLIP wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46870718

He does that a lot, and he's dead right. Trying to get some more fans into that massive stadium, they should be getting 30K plus for a game like this.
Cockers will be offered something big on the back of his exploits up in Edinburgh, but he could leave a good legacy behind him before he goes.
Yes, taking the piss out is Glasgow is a great way to get us to go and support them (more evident in other quotes).

The guy has done a very good job but he makes it very difficult to support him.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

kermischocolate wrote:
Yes, taking the piss out is Glasgow is a great way to get us to go and support them (more evident in other quotes).

That dosen't mean a lot coming from a Warrior, kermi.
He's made Edinburgh top dog in Scotland.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

That dosen't mean a lot coming from a Warrior, kermi.
He's made Edinburgh top dog in Scotland.
Yep and I'm not debating that at all.

Tbh given the last month or so I don't think Glasgow deserve to go through to the quarters and I certainly don't want to be there if it's by default because of another team. We're either good enough to qualify on our own or not. And at the minute I'm not sure we are. We'll just get there and get slaughtered. Where's the fun in that?

But SRU are trying to get a decent crowd in the library on Friday and are trying to get Glasgow fans to go and support them. It would help if Edinburgh's manager wasn't a condescending arse while doing so.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Could be a cracking game in fairness.
Four Stars
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RugbyPass
EXCLUSIVE: The PRO14 in takeover talks with private equity firm
By Ian Cameron
17 January, 2:30pm
Ownership of the PRO14 could be set to change hands if an apparent bid by a private equity firm to takeover the competition is accepted.

Although believed to be in the early stages, RugbyPass understands that a private equity firm has held talks with the organization regarding the possibility of a potential buy out.

In 2017 the PRO14 made an unorthodox expansion to include two South Africans team, a move that a season and a half on appears to be a success.
––
Now spanning five countries and two continents, the growth potential of the product and the exposure to a broad market could prove attractive to a private equity firm with designs on further expansion.

The PRO14 did not wish to make a comment when one was requested by RugbyPass.

A sixth country could be added, with English Championship club Ealing Trailfinders – currently sitting second on the table with an eye on Premiership promotion – currently examining the possibility of joining the competition. Franchises in Germany and the United States have also been mooted in the past.

Anayi’s tenure at the PRO14 has also seen a considerable amount of new broadcasting partnerships formed that now sees the competition broadcast in the USA, Australia and across Asia.

In December Premiership Rugby agreed to sell 27 percent of its shares to CVC Capital Partners in return for a fee believed to be in the region of £200 million.

In September, the 12 Premiership clubs initially voted to reject a proposal from the private equity firm to take control of 51 percent of the shares for around £275m.

But three months later, a deal has been struck between all parties – one that was unanimously accepted by the clubs.

CVC has previously been involved in MotoGP and Formula One, and Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty believes the new partnership will elevate the competition to a greater standing on the global stage.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Haha
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It's rumoured that Leinster Committee were informed on last Tuesday and the uniform response from the committee men was was "don't go there".

Its a very complex structure in Pro 14. Four Unions own the shares but it is their Teams who participate and direct the Management. The Clubs generally operate on a quasi-autonomous basis, independent from their Unions in day-to-day management.

Based on previous behaviour, the Welsh regions will be first with their hands out, followed by the Scots closely ahead of the Italians. The fear is that some decision-makers, at a remove from the constituent Clubs but with an eye to the bottom line or a Formula One style bonanza, could say Yes. Then we're into a game of "so we're really only finalising the price" as happened with the PRL.

I hope the Unions have sense and tell them, nicely, to push off. I've zero knowledge of the personalities in the Pro 14 Management, but I certainly hope they are excluded from the strategic discussions with these 'Carpetbaggers'
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

CVC trying to buy both leagues and create a B&I?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:CVC trying to buy both leagues and create a B&I?
We read it here First. :(
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

"CVC has previously been involved in MotoGP and Formula One..."
anybody know how well that went? F1 certainly seems like a sport in its final throes
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

ribs wrote:"CVC has previously been involved in MotoGP and Formula One..."
anybody know how well that went? F1 certainly seems like a sport in its final throes
MotoGP hasn't been the same since they got rid of the Honda NSR500 2 stroke V4 Big Bang machines. Mad things but fun to watch.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ribs wrote:"CVC has previously been involved in MotoGP and Formula One..."
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ugby-union
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Glasgow beat Ospreys 9-3. When was the last time Glasgow didn't score a try?