Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:Henderson starting and Cooney on bench.
Very good news for Ulster and Ireland.
Interesting that Cooney on the bench, there are a few in that team not totally injury free.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Oldschool wrote:What kind of team are Ulster likely to be able to field and what are the odds of -
1. A TBP win.
2. A win.
3. A TBP draw - unlikely so skip that one but hope for the punter's curse.
4. A TBP + LBP. rare enough
5. A losing TBP rare enough
6. A LBP
7. Nought.
8. What are bookies saying.
I'll settle for a point but would rather have a win, no chance of topping the pool anyway, Racing have it on the combined scores with us.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

7 Leinster guys in the Ulster 23.
And we thought Munster were the only ungrateful, low-achieving, bloodsucking parasites.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:7 Leinster guys in the Ulster 23.
And we thought Munster were the only ungrateful, low-achieving, bloodsucking parasites.
They did significant development work for 4 of them (keeping them in the game), signed 2 who had already left (& we weren’t looking to get back). They didn’t do anything bad over Jordi even though we miss him.

They didn’t poach any players breaking through for us, so they didn’t damage our development process. Most of Munster’s signing from us were
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote:
blockhead wrote:7 Leinster guys in the Ulster 23.
They did significant development work for 4 of them (keeping them in the game), signed 2 who had already left (& we weren’t looking to get back). They didn’t do anything bad over Jordi even though we miss him.

They didn’t poach any players breaking through for us, so they didn’t damage our development process. Most of Munster’s signing from us were
So as the parole officer said in the movie Raising Arizona. "Okay then"
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Leinster players come to Munster for the same reason the Irish went to America, to make a better life for themselves. 8)
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tomthefan wrote:Leinster players come to Munster for the same reason the Irish went to America, to make a better life for themselves. 8)
Did you just compare Limerick to New York?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Well done Ulster. Showed a lot of grit in that 2nd half.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Cooney made a big difference when he came on.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dan McFarland and Aaron Dundin should consider sending Dan Cole a cheque for "Fees for professional Coaching for a Loose head Prop - 1 hour Stg£250". Certainly Ulster's young loose-head Eoin O'Sullivan will rarely receive more valuable tuition than the lessons passed on by Dan Cole this afternoon.

Aside from that, McFarland and Dundon deserve praise for their continued development of Ulster's set-pieces which resisted the power and experience of the Tigers pack during an error strewn afternoon in Welford Road.

Ulster were unlucky to lose Coetzee so early, but how well did Henderson, Murphy and Best play? Those three and Stockdale & Ludik were the reasons that Ulster survived 70 minutes of this game with only 13 points conceded. John Cooney had a lot to do with how Ulster scored 14 points to win but credit the five lads for their efforts.

Ulster will need the next six weeks to continue the development of their young guns, before their q/f game raises it's head. They are improving and more stars are emerging game by game. They will lose six to Irish Camp but the youngesters will have game time and hard-nosed coaching in the interim. Both are required.

Great win but the performance can be improved.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Ulster 2018-2019

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Dan McFarland and Aaron Dundin should consider sending Dan Cole a cheque for "Fees for professional Coaching for a Loose head Prop - 1 hour Stg£250". Certainly Ulster's young loose-head Eoin O'Sullivan will rarely receive more valuable tuition than the lessons passed on by Dan Cole this afternoon.

Aside from that, McFarland and Dundon deserve praise for their continued development of Ulster's set-pieces which resisted the power and experience of the Tigers pack during an error strewn afternoon in Welford Road.

Ulster were unlucky to lose Coetzee so early, but how well did Henderson, Murphy and Best play? Those three and Stockdale & Ludik were the reasons that Ulster survived 70 minutes of this game with only 13 points conceded. John Cooney had a lot to do with how Ulster scored 14 points to win but credit the five lads for their efforts.

Ulster will need the next six weeks to continue the development of their young guns, before their q/f game raises it's head. They are improving and more stars are emerging game by game. They will lose six to Irish Camp but the youngesters will have game time and hard-nosed coaching in the interim. Both are required.

Great win but the performance can be improved.
£250 an hour! Jaysus- that standard of consultancy would be a multiple of that: £700 plus VAT, at least m- and all the pies he can carry...

Cooney made the difference. Shanahan did well, but their first ex-Leinster 9 drove the team expertly. But you are also correct- Best, Murphy and Henderson were rocks in that pack.

Stockdale though??? Jaysus- I’ve been reserved until recently on fully riding on the bandwagon. But I’m clambering on now. On his current form he’s the best winger in world rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Whilst my comment about Dan Cole's dominance of Eric O'Sullivan was somewhat tongue in cheque (sic), I cannot commend the former Templeogue man enough for hanging in there throughout the 50 torrid minutes he was on the pitch. Although the cameras were not on his side during that first half, the shape of the Ulster scrum told a clear story about where pressure was being applied. Despite ending up in some grotesque shapes, he continued to resist Cole and his hooker in every scrum. Not an easy task.

Having overseen many scrum sessions, aside from participating in them decades ago, the reaction of a player who is receiving painful and powerful lessons, is one of the benchmarks of which players will learn and thrive and which ones will perish under the pressure. Based on yesterday alone, O'Sullivan reacted like one of those who will emerge immeasurable better from yesterday's experience.

McFarland and Dundon will continue to have O'Sullivan, Herring, Moore, O'Connor and Treadwell available for the next 6 weeks of Pro14 games. This front five, aside from powering the Ulster challenge in these games, will grow in power, fitness and cohesion and, strengthened by the returning Best and Henderson, become a formidable unit by the time they contest their quarter-final.

The Ulster Re-construction Project is ahead of schedule and looking like it's based on really solid foundations.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brotheroffrank wrote:Cooney made a big difference when he came on.
That's a really good sign in a player.
What you want from a player coming off the bench is impact.
Impact comes in all shapes and sizes.
You want your half backs, in particular, to show signs that they've been reading the game and have an idea on how to change things or that the coach has and that they have the wherewithal to be able to implement those insights.
The other thing you want is for them to be able to hit the ground running ah la Billy Holland for that lineout steal against Exeter.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote: The Ulster Re-construction Project is ahead of schedule and looking like it's based on really solid foundations.

MacFarland has been a great signing. Not only a technically good coach but I suspect he doesn't tolerate low standards and that might have something to do with all the players leaving mid season.

Getting the team culture sorted is important. They've some exceptional players and can start building up squad depth from here on.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

dropkick wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote: The Ulster Re-construction Project is ahead of schedule and looking like it's based on really solid foundations.

MacFarland has been a great signing. Not only a technically good coach but I suspect he doesn't tolerate low standards and that might have something to do with all the players leaving mid season.

Getting the team culture sorted is important. They've some exceptional players and can start building up squad depth from here on.
Mid season moves were financial as well in letting players who were getting culled at the end of the season go elsewhere.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

rooster wrote:Mid season moves were financial as well in letting players who were getting culled at the end of the season go elsewhere.
I dont see how that could be the case. Anyone who was released early would have had to be paid out in full. If they weren't then their Agents weren't doing their jobs.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46964562

Dunno if this has been reported above (apologies if so)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

So it did happen.. hope some posters here can acknowledge that fact
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:So it did happen.. hope some posters here can acknowledge that fact
No one questioned it. I questioned the manner in which it was dealt with. Fair dues Ulster, that's a proper punishment.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well thats Lord Kilclooney left with nothing to do of a weekend.
I have Bumbleflex