A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: Leinster's Backrow Options

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
backrower8 wrote:Deegan has played 14 times this season. 6 starts. 3 each at 6 & 8

Doris has played 8 times. All 5 starts at 8.

It's time we saw Doris at 6, preferably a few times with Deegan at 8.
agreed.

Deegan is getting plenty of game time this season. People calling for him to move have alternative motivations.
Wouldn't disagree either however were I the coach and recognizing Deegans need to be more physical I would have played him at 6 as has been done and I don't think that bit of coaching is done with just yet.
Makes sense to me, but I think people generally here think Deegan having skills that few forwards possess is a weakness. He is doing all the graft as well.

When it came to the Heineken Cup matches against Toulouse and Wasps Leo slected him in the 23, not Doris, and he played a major part in creating the 3rd try.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We, myself included, need to get past Deegan winning u20 player of the year. JJ Hanrahan almost won that award. Macken was supposed to be better than BOD, Conway scored a record number of tries. Bleyandaal was also a runner up. James Chisholm won the year before Deegan.

It was strange anyway that Deegan won ahead of Malinder.

Deegan is a good player and while he's skillful, he's not some offloading magician contorting himself into impossible positions and scoring drop goals from halfway.

He's an all rounder with good footwork and timing on both sides of the ball. He is good in lineout, strong, tackles with great technique, has the skills to player higher risk and the discipline not to indulge himself just to get on the highlights reel. He gets back on his feet quickly and back into the line but not necessarily around the corner.

He's been increasing his physicality over recent seasons. He's adaptable in a Heaslip way, so he should be able to help balance a backrow. If he was a strong carrier closer to the ruck he would be better at balancing. But that doesnt have to come from a 6 either.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Backrow minutes this season

Rhys Ruddock(11+2) = 848
Jack Conan(9+1) = 699
Josh Van Der Flier(10+1) = 696
Max Deegan(6+8) = 587
Dan Leavy(6+1) = 459
Caelan Doris(5+3) = 431
Josh Murphy(6+0) = 350
Sean O'Brien(3+3) = 319
Scott Penny(4+0) = 303
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Lancaster is an innovative coach.
It's conceivable that he wants to redefine the role of the back row in general but more specifically the 6.
Maybe he wants two seven and a halves (86)
Doris is a 86 already whereas Deegan is an 8.
Deegan will probably initially be an 87 and as he matures eventually become a 86
Bring it on.
86 - the skills and technical nous of an 8 allied to the physicality of a 6.
87 - the skills and technical nous if an 8 with some of the physicality of a 6.
Expect the experiment to continue.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ronk wrote:
It was strange anyway that Deegan won ahead of Malinder.
Nevermind Mallinder, it was a bit odd that he got the award ahead of James Ryan.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

cormac wrote:Nevermind Mallinder, it was a bit odd that he got the award ahead of James Ryan.
James Ryan was so far ahead that he was out of sight.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Who starts at openside against Zebre if Penny's with the U20s and Leavy's still unavailable? Deegan? Or could Aspil be a live contender if he's been training with the squad?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:Who starts at openside against Zebre if Penny's with the U20s and Leavy's still unavailable? Deegan? Or could Aspil be a live contender if he's been training with the squad?
Pro14 has priority over u20s
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:Lancaster is an innovative coach.
It's conceivable that he wants to redefine the role of the back row in general but more specifically the 6.
Maybe he wants two seven and a halves (86)
Doris is a 86 already whereas Deegan is an 8.
Deegan will probably initially be an 87 and as he matures eventually become a 86
Bring it on.
86 - the skills and technical nous of an 8 allied to the physicality of a 6.
87 - the skills and technical nous if an 8 with some of the physicality of a 6.
Expect the experiment to continue.
Lancaster never struck me as a positional experimenter. More about develop what you have rather than turn it into something else. Not the Eddie Jones idea of 9 forwards or half of Woodwards career.
Andrew097
Bookworm

Post by Andrew097 »

You have to wonder at the state of Munsters academy and it's ability to develop players from Munster? Connaught develop more young players than Munster and have done so for several years. maybe David should try to sort that out for the betterment of Irish Rugby. Constantly raiding the players just about there in Leinster is not good for Linster. Stories from the southern province are a little disturbing of you are hell bent on developing the best players from Munster.
Leinster are an injury away from having real problems in Europe. Sextons injury and wrapping Byrnes in cotton wool just suggests Leinster European ambitions to compete are being sacrificed for the short and long tem interest of Munster. One might even suggest the non selection of Ross by JS was a fop to quiten the noise that might develop if Leinster was left with very inexperienced out half cover for the international window.
The truth is three teams are developing talent one team is Not.
slit my wrists and its blue blood.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Andrew097 wrote:You have to wonder at the state of Munsters academy and it's ability to develop players from Munster? Connaught develop more young players than Munster and have done so for several years. maybe David should try to sort that out for the betterment of Irish Rugby. Constantly raiding the players just about there in Leinster is not good for Linster. Stories from the southern province are a little disturbing of you are hell bent on developing the best players from Munster.
Leinster are an injury away from having real problems in Europe. Sextons injury and wrapping Byrnes in cotton wool just suggests Leinster European ambitions to compete are being sacrificed for the short and long tem interest of Munster. One might even suggest the non selection of Ross by JS was a fop to quiten the noise that might develop if Leinster was left with very inexperienced out half cover for the international window.
The truth is three teams are developing talent one team is Not.
Not really the thread for it, in the IRFU's eyes Munster are developing talent with Joey at 10.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Backrow is an area where there have been media murmorings of taking more Leindter players. I think that's how the topic got sorta there.

Leinster dont have excessive depth at backrow and won't either given that there is only 1 backrow in the entire Academy.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Hopefully this will help prevent some thieving from the north, with Botha and Stander at Munster it’s looking good for Doris and Deegan

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ul ... 87832.html
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Sean O'Brien off to London Irish for £450k a year apparently.
If true, while it will be sad to lose a Leinster legend, you wouldn't begrudge him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Averaging 5-7 games per season for us. Great man in his day but he's been a National and Lions player for 4 years.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I wish people would understand that Connacht is the province, and Connaught is the hotel (amongst other things). I'm Leinster; but spent many happy years in Galway.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

desperado wrote:I wish people would understand that Connacht is the province, and Connaught is the hotel (amongst other things). I'm Leinster; but spent many happy years in Galway.
Connaught and Tadgh are two bugbears of mine
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

the42 saying they confirmed it with the IRFU sources that SOB is off to London Irish:
https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london ... =shortlink
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote:the42 saying they confirmed it with the IRFU sources that SOB is off to London Irish:
It says "sources in Ireland", not the IRFU, and says that the IRFU wouldn't comment on it.

Not saying it's not happening, but things like that bug me!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
curates_egg wrote:the42 saying they confirmed it with the IRFU sources that SOB is off to London Irish:
It says "sources in Ireland", not the IRFU, and says that the IRFU wouldn't comment on it.

Not saying it's not happening, but things like that bug me!
You're right. Sorry.
I'd trust Murray Kinsella though. Also, it makes total sense.
He is not going to get a central contract in November, and Leinster won't be able to offer him that money (even if Redact stumps up again, you would think).