Actual Real Analysis... Unbelievable!!! (6 Nations)

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Actual Real Analysis... Unbelievable!!! (6 Nations)

Post by LENSTA »

We rarely, if ever, get actual real rugby analysis. This video from The 1014 Rugby on youtube is very good. It standouts against the usual fare we are served up which is mostly vague cliches and platitudes. Subscribe if you like this. It will encourage them to continue with this type of technical analysis of modern rugby.

#ScrapTheLions
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Actual Real Analysis... Unbelievable!!! (6 Nations)

Post by Ruckedtobits »

They did ok, considering they were banned from showing any actual continuous footage. However, I consider their analysis is flawed and simplistic, notably looking at Irish defensive alignment in the Barrett incident where they cite the Kearney "intercept" read as being inspirational. The reality was that Ireland had 4 defenders in picture against two attackers and that was the key defensive aspect.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Still, compare that to Tindall on the joe.co.uk broadcast. He talked about the strength of Irish leaders such as Murray and Sexton and ……….eh ……………eh...…….. eh. He literally couldn't think of another name :) it needed Haskell to prompt him with Bests name to keep him going.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Dupe post.
Last edited by LENSTA on February 1st, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ScrapTheLions
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

People might disagree with individual points they make, which is fine. But the comparison between this analysis and the usual fare is stark in my opinion.

Usually we get high level strategic detail only, e.g. Ireland analysis might say, we play a possession game and kick quite a bit, in our own half especially, with an aggressive defence. Until I encountered this video I have never seen a break down of the tactics used to achieve a team's strategy.

As an example, from the video analysis, the possession tactics for both sides can be summed up as follows:

-Ireland employ a 3-1-3 pod structure with Sexton standing immediately behind the first pod; Ireland generally like to set their pods up between the 15 yard lines.
-England use a 3-2-2 pod structure with Farrell standing between the first and second pod; England play a wider game than Ireland placing the last pod in the 5 yard line area.

If you asked all the fans attending the match on Sat, what types of pod structure would either team be using in possession, how many of them would know? Half would probably say "what's a pod structure?".

It is approaching 20 yrs since I played rugby so the intricacies of modern rugby are not obvious to me. Therefore videos such as this give a level of detail, I actually crave, and will make the game on Sat more interesting to me. Perhaps such detail is obvious to current players or coaches, to the average fan, which is what I am now, they aren't.

*fixed spelling error
Last edited by LENSTA on February 1st, 2019, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ScrapTheLions
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I'm more of a sqidge rugby fan myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkulltA94Bs
Anyone But New Zealand
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

FLIP wrote:I'm more of a sqidge rugby fan myself.

I watch his stuff too, it is very good. Very funny as well.
#ScrapTheLions
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LENSTA wrote:
FLIP wrote:I'm more of a sqidge rugby fan myself.

I watch his stuff too, it is very good. Very funny as well.
As weird and icky as it sounds - Squidge rocks!!!