J Sexton,
C Murray;
C Healy,
R Best (capt),
T Furlong;
Q Roux,
J Ryan;
P O'Mahony, S O'Brien, J Conan.

presume conan will be at 8. iirc SOB didn't enjoy that position so much for leinster.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Scotland vs Ireland, Sat 9th Feb 14.15

Post by enby »

it will be disappointing if JVDF, the one member of the back row to have turned up last week, loses out especially to a player who has played so little rugby in the last 18 months. Russell is a key player for Scots and Josh would be exactly the right man to get to him. Big call to be made here. Let us hope Joe gets it right
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Brendan Fanning on Twitter 'Henshaw added to lengthening injury list'
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

flustered wrote:Brendan Fanning on Twitter 'Henshaw added to lengthening injury list'

yep, apparently Chris F starts with Tom F to the bench
I have Bumbleflex
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Cooney, Carbery and Farrel on bench then? Wonder if Earls is playing, or if Larmour full back and Kearney not in squad? Tom Farrel ahead of Addison..some interesting selections!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Scotland: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Finn Russell (Racing 92), Greig Laidlaw (Clermont Auvergne - captain); Allan Dell (Edinburgh), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh), Simon Berghan (Edinburgh), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors), Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh), Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks).

Replacements: Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors), D'arcy Rae (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh), Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors), Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh).

Blair Kinghorn has been left out of the Scotland team to face Ireland in their second Six Nations match on Saturday, despite scoring a hat-trick of tries in the opening win over Italy. Saracens wing Sean Maitland replaces the Edinburgh youngster, who is on the bench, after recovering from injury. Other changes see Simon Berghan replace the injured WP Nel at tight-head, and lock Jonny Gray replace Ben Toolis. Josh Strauss starts at number eight, with Ryan Wilson moving to blind-side. Other changes on the bench see experienced hooker Fraser Brown return from two months on the sidelines, taking over from Jake Kerr, who made his debut against Italy. D'arcy Rae comes in as tight-head cover with Berghan promoted to the starting team, and Rob Harley replaces Gary Graham as the back-row option. Pete Horne takes over from Adam Hastings as cover at fly-half and centre with Chris Harris, a try-scorer after coming on against Italy, dropping out of the match-day 23.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Chris Farrell
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Quinn Roux
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Seán O’Brien
8. Jack Conan.

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Ultan Dillane
20. Josh van der Flier
21. John Cooney
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Leoslovechild wrote:15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Chris Farrell
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Quinn Roux
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Seán O’Brien
8. Jack Conan.

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Ultan Dillane
20. Josh van der Flier
21. John Cooney
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour.
Strong bench.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't remember the last time I had doubts about so many parts of our team. I do expect a reaction from last week but don't think that side is near the level of last season even though it has a lot of the same personnel. If the forwards do get go forward and the halfbacks improve significantly then that will reassure me a lot but right now I have no idea what kind of performance they'll put in when usually I'd be super confident of them putting in 7/10 performances at worst.

I'm excited about SOB starting. I know I've been saying that I wouldn't have him involved until he gets up to speed for Leinster but it's still SOB and he must be raring to go. I didn't think he was as good against Wasps as others, thought he looked unfit and that wasn't just down to the try before he went off, but with that said I actually thought he looked more powerful than he has done in ages and his handling (which was never great even at his best) seemed sharp so I hope we see him getting on the ball a fair bit and not just doing the dirty work.

I feel for Jordi though. He's been excellent for Ulster and his versatility means I'd definitely bring him to Japan. Combined with the fact that he made the move to get more game time I think he should be involved.

Have a feeling Furlong will have a massive game, he always steps up big time when he's angry and I'd say the memory of his slip up two years ago will spur him on too.
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Squad depth really being tested with injuries mounting up :
Henshaw
Ringrose
Henderson
Toner
Beirne
Marmian
McGrath L
Conway
Leavy
Stander

Team picked offers best options available but a great performance required to beat Scots. Good start essential on saturday.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Taking the long term view the loss and more importantly reality check is probably no harm.
If you look at the core of the team coming from Leinster and Munster. these players and teams tend to come back strong after a big defeat.
I would be very surprised and disappointed if we dont turn in a big performance on Saturday. If we do then we should win comfortably.
Not cockiness but reality based on all known history.
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't remember the last time I had doubts about so many parts of our team. I do expect a reaction from last week but don't think that side is near the level of last season even though it has a lot of the same personnel. If the forwards do get go forward and the halfbacks improve significantly then that will reassure me a lot but right now I have no idea what kind of performance they'll put in when usually I'd be super confident of them putting in 7/10 performances at worst.
I know exactly what you mean - it’s hard to know exactly what is coming! Scotland also blew hot and cold at the weekend and Nel is a big loss for them. I think I’m finally coming down on the side of the ‘welcome boot up the arse’ take re the Eng result - rather than tending towards the ‘busted flush’ end of the spectrum, time will tell.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I definitely don't see this the same way. 6 of the 15 started there 2 years ago when they ran us ragged in the first 30 mins. They know exactly what's coming. Scotland will play the exact same way again. We've a bigger, stronger pack so they're gonna try to move us all over the pitch. The faster the ball, the more dangerous Russell will be.

I expect Ireland to be as John Mitchell said. Well, not boring, but back to basics, forwards fronting up, much better kicking and kicking chasing and a few heavy guys running at Russell early. I do think we've made a mistake not picking Josh. We could do with someone who'll slow down a bit of ball and Josh is super quick. He'll cover the ground a lot quicker than the other bavk rowers and we're guaranteed 20+ tackles in 80 mins from him. 2 years ago we went with Stander, SOB and Heaslip. I'd prefer Josh at 7 and SOB on the bench to cause some havoc later.

Despite all the absentees, our bench is really strong. Ireland by 7-10.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Breakdown ball against Scotland is always critical. Josh carries and tackles but rarelly mines the breakdown Joe needs that on Saturday.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:I definitely don't see this the same way. 6 of the 15 started there 2 years ago when they ran us ragged in the first 30 mins. They know exactly what's coming. Scotland will play the exact same way again. We've a bigger, stronger pack so they're gonna try to move us all over the pitch. The faster the ball, the more dangerous Russell will be.
?

We were talking about whether we'll perform or not.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Looks like weather could be an issue.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I know. You started with having so many doubts about the team. I've no doubts. I've absolutely no doubt we'll get a big performance and we'll starve them of decent ball.

I genuinely don't see this Scotland team beating Ireland.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:I know. You started with having so many doubts about the team. I've no doubts. I've absolutely no doubt we'll get a big performance and we'll starve them of decent ball.

Yeah I've doubts about lots of different elements of it but still think we'll win. We could win but Murray might not be any better than last week, or Kearney might put in another rusty performance like the Scarlets, or Earls could be hampered by injury, or SOB might not be at his best, or Best might not carry again. I expect our reaction to be good enough to win, but I can't see all of those doubts (plus others, just gave a few examples) turning out positively.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

The loss of WP Nel will be huge for Scotland in the scrums- I expect us to really take them in there. Hopefully Sexton will regain his confidence and boss the pitch again. Other wishes:
Conan to get us out of the danger zone when we’re in our own 22 (pack failed last week to do that so backline tried instead)
Murray to hit touch with his clearance kicks, and to keep the passes at chest height
Best to avoid crash ball and use his energy elsewhere
SOB to continue his power performance from last week
POM to take over Toners lineout superiority
The team to make a pass before contact on crashball like Leinster do to avoid being targeted with a double tackle
Earls to stay on his wing (except planned moves)
Stockdale to stop juggling the ball when he receives it
The exciting bench to be used early enough to have an impact
It is a power team picked so we should expect that to be used in a confrontation way
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
suisse wrote:I know. You started with having so many doubts about the team. I've no doubts. I've absolutely no doubt we'll get a big performance and we'll starve them of decent ball.

Yeah I've doubts about lots of different elements of it but still think we'll win. We could win but Murray might not be any better than last week, or Kearney might put in another rusty performance like the Scarlets, or Earls could be hampered by injury, or SOB might not be at his best, or Best might not carry again. I expect our reaction to be good enough to win, but I can't see all of those doubts (plus others, just gave a few examples) turning out positively.
If we get these, we lose. While I do expect a win, I think we are underestimating Scotland and over egging the chances of us being 'on form'. This is a really dangerous game, if we had beaten England but lost to Scotland, there would have been lots of examples put out of how much Scotland have improved under Gregor Townsend, Glasgow recent success and the Richard Cockerill's revolution in Edinburgh etc. What ifs alright, but at the same time no big surprise - bring on Japan, but it all changes after Englands win.

On this team we are starting with our 5th choice lock, a 7 who has played, what 3 halves of rugby in the last year? an 8 who is starting his 2nd 6Ns game - as is our 13, Scrum half that is still on the comeback trail, an out of form full back and a wing who got battered last weekend. Mildly optimistic on a Friday midday - (this will change before game time :mullet 1: )
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian