Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by Peg Leg »

I would be gutted if he went there. That machine should be eating challenges for breakfast and shitting silverware.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I make it £90k per game, based on his average appearances for Leinster.
He's won everything bar a World Cup. Let him keep his pension ticking over.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:I would be gutted if he went there. That machine should be eating challenges for breakfast and shitting silverware.
Ah I don't know PegLeg. He's been a Leinster player in name only for years now. Those things that he did, that made him great, he can't do those no more. Better to remember him as he was, in his pomp.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:I would be gutted if he went there. That machine should be eating challenges for breakfast and shitting silverware.
Ah I don't know PegLeg. He's been a Leinster player in name only for years now. Those things that he did, that made him great, he can't do those no more. Better to remember him as he was, in his pomp.
Yeah but, the not nots....?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Hang on. Next season? does that not mean he'll miss the World Cup? Surely he'd want one more shot at that before heading off :shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Hang on. Next season? does that not mean he'll miss the World Cup? Surely he'd want one more shot at that before heading off :shock:
his contract ends at the end of the world cup, same for Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Robbie Henshaw and Rob Kearney.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

So, just to be clear, this is a rumour off a rugby forum that was lifted by rugbypass and everything else is a report on that report?

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I wouldn't be booking my tickets to his farewell party in the Tara just yet.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Hang on. Next season? does that not mean he'll miss the World Cup? Surely he'd want one more shot at that before heading off :shock:
his contract ends at the end of the world cup, same for Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Robbie Henshaw and Rob Kearney.
Ah I see. So he'd be heading over there around Christmas but essentially he won't play for Leinster again from the end of this season. I get ye!

Still, it could be just a contract ploy by his agent (fingers crossed)
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: Ah I see. So he'd be heading over there around Christmas but essentially he won't play for Leinster again from the end of this season. I get ye!

Tbh, Sean and his agent aren't holding any cards if this is a tactic for a renewal from the IRFU.

I don't want to appear over dismissive of SOB and everything he has done for Ireland and Leinster because he's an absolute legend and one of the best of all time for me.

But he is 32 and has not had a proper run of fitness since his mid 20s. He has had surgery on several major joints and muscles.

The next question you need to ask is "is he indispensable?"

Of which the answer is a resounding "no"

He brings a huge amount to games he plays when he is on form and firing. Probably gives us that edge. But we beat the All Blacks twice, won the Grand Slam and all the knock out games on our way to The Double without his services.

There are probably games that we would not win without Seanie but the risk reward is not there for me.

I'd be shocked if the IRFU or Leinster offered him half of whatever his current contract is
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

He is gone

And to expect otherwise would be foolish.

Wish him luck and health.

Happy that at LI, he is extremely unlikely to ever play against Leinster.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Yeah announced by Murray Kinsella, all the best to him. Owes Leinster or Irish Rugby nothing, great servant just a pity being injured more often than not in the past 2-3 years
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Another reason to keep Fardy.

Best of luck Sean, enjoy London.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Confirmed by Murray Kinsella: https://the42.ie/4483555
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Happy to see the back of him. Didn’t give a damn about playing for Leinster last few years. If it helps Deegan and Doris stay then I’m happy
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

bluemagic wrote:Happy to see the back of him. Didn’t give a damn about playing for Leinster last few years. If it helps Deegan and Doris stay then I’m happy
Jog on buddy.

About as much class a Donald Trump tweet there :roll:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:So, just to be clear, this is a rumour off a rugby forum that was lifted by rugbypass and everything else is a report on that report?

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I wouldn't be booking my tickets to his farewell party in the Tara just yet.
Murray Kinsella saying he has confirmed it with multiple IRFU sources: https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london ... =shortlink
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well now that's been sorted there should be nothing standing in the way of tadhg beirne coming back from Munster. He can play back row

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote: Ah I see. So he'd be heading over there around Christmas but essentially he won't play for Leinster again from the end of this season. I get ye!

Tbh, Sean and his agent aren't holding any cards if this is a tactic for a renewal from the IRFU.

I don't want to appear over dismissive of SOB and everything he has done for Ireland and Leinster because he's an absolute legend and one of the best of all time for me.

But he is 32 and has not had a proper run of fitness since his mid 20s. He has had surgery on several major joints and muscles.

The next question you need to ask is "is he indispensable?"

Of which the answer is a resounding "no"

He brings a huge amount to games he plays when he is on form and firing. Probably gives us that edge. But we beat the All Blacks twice, won the Grand Slam and all the knock out games on our way to The Double without his services.

There are probably games that we would not win without Seanie but the risk reward is not there for me.

I'd be shocked if the IRFU or Leinster offered him half of whatever his current contract is
This is the measured post that I would not have dared to make. Well done.

He definitely owes us nothing and, if we're honest, his presence has been slightly disruptive to the squad for a number of seasons.

What a joy he was to watch in his pomp. His performances in Schmidt's first two seasons were breathtaking.
With a different coach, he might have made it to a world cup semi in 2011. That was - in my mind - the best back row we have ever had.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Leinster will lose SOB and Reid this year. They’ll potentially lose Kearney, Fardy, McGrath on top of this. Add that to last years loss of Isa nacewa and jordi Murphy and it’s a worrying exodus.....

Unlike other provinces we won’t be able to buy foreigners or take as we please from the other provinces. IRFU have decided to use Leinster as a farm for young players, part of this is clearing the bigger players out at the top so the young lads get plenty of game time.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
This is the measured post that I would not have dared to make. Well done.

He definitely owes us nothing and, if we're honest, his presence has been slightly disruptive to the squad for a number of seasons.

What a joy he was to watch in his pomp. His performances in Schmidt's first two seasons were breathtaking.
With a different coach, he might have made it to a world cup semi in 2011. That was - in my mind - the best back row we have ever had.
Eh...what?