:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
One of our greats.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
colster
Knowledgeable

Re: Sean O'Brien

Post by colster »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/sean-obrie ... -rwc-2019/

It's official. What a player. Privileged to have seen him play in Blue and Green. All the best Seanie!!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Good luck to him. London Irish is an odd choice for such a competitive player but for what they're giving him it'll be worth it.
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote:Good luck to him. London Irish is an odd choice for such a competitive player but for what they're giving him it'll be worth it.
As far as I can see it's a win-win situation. Seanie makes a killing to soften the end of his career, while LI get a big box-office signing, who can drive up standards across the squad and academy. Go n-éirí an t-ádh leis!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:
FLIP wrote:Good luck to him. London Irish is an odd choice for such a competitive player but for what they're giving him it'll be worth it.
As far as I can see it's a win-win situation. Seanie makes a killing to soften the end of his career, while LI get a big box-office signing, who can drive up standards across the squad and academy. Go n-éirí an t-ádh leis!!!!!!
You must be his agent.
You're good tho, I'll give you that.
Well done.
And good luck to SOB, he deserves it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

What a player. So many great memories over the years, particularly the 2011 run. Total legend.

It's a weird one though. I sort of expected him to retire after the world cup, so Im fine about it and weirdly - not disappointed. I'm glad he's getting a last hurrah. Deserves everything he gets.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's still a brilliant player and he looks like he's adapting him game a little to preserve himself.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Every chance. He'll have himself an indian summer and not a person would begrudge it of a man who gave his all for us and ireland.

But where are the pitchfork wielding masses complaining that he wasnt offered a central contract despite his age and injury profile? Where are the endless columns complaining about Dublin bias? Where are the long ex-pros being quoted at length saying they are "100% sure he wants to stay at Leinster" despite admitting not having talked to him?

Ive got to say his leaving is being treated with a lot more dignity than certain other departures...

We may miss his power, explosiveness and unshakeable presence but i like to remember his workrate, determination, and intelligence. He was always patronised outside Leinster (in Ireland) and the simple fact that he is a smart pro gers overlooked in the cliched narrative about him.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

A better deal for Sean than London Irish. He needs to be careful though, a different league with different challenges. They could easily get relegated in his first season.

Good luck to him
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's a decent deal for London Irish and an outstanding one if he goes on a run of fitness.

Given the way he was rushing back from injury to get broken again on international duty he might have a better time.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Happy will are very unlikely to ever play against him.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:Happy will are very unlikely to ever play against him.
Tempting fate there.... If they can scrape into the top 6 in the next 2 years we will inevitably draw them.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

johng wrote:
Tempting fate there.... If they can scrape into the top 6 in the next 2 years we will inevitably draw them.
I'd be surprised if they did. But stranger things have happened.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

johng wrote:
and he'll probably be injured!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
They've signed Naholo too... this all seems inevitable at this stage.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

London Irish, with two highly experienced and successful Coaches, are a very different kettle of fish to the previous incarnation in the Premiership. The quality of rugby isn't high in Premiership games and if LI can gather together a durable front-five, their recruitment of O'Brien and Jackson & Naholo could pay good dividends and certainly top 6.

Sean will find it a very different League though with Refs who don't allow poaching and the tactic of running big strong centres at the backroww in an attempt to create space out wide. Hard grafting for a No. 7, so maybe Kidney will use him more like a No. 6.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:It's a decent deal for London Irish and an outstanding one if he goes on a run of fitness.

Given the way he was rushing back from injury to get broken again on international duty he might have a better time.
There will be even less concern at rushing him back by LI, than might be alleged by Ireland. Seanie will be their marquee forward signing and they'll want him on the park ASAP and sod the consequences. But- who knows, maybe he'll get a late career period of being injury free. If he does- LI have signed a great, great deal.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -move.html

Disappointing the way Seanies time with us has finished. He says he's not bitter but I sense he is a bit. He said he would have stayed for 1/4 of the money LI were offering and he really wanted to finish his career here. I suppose that's professional sport but sorry he's not leaving more on his own terms.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I read this and couldn't really figure out if the quarter comment was accurate.

He's on 1.2m over three years in London Irish seemingly. Quarter of that would be 300k over three years here.

Surely he was at least offered that?

Maybe he means he wasn't offered a three year contract by Leinster?

Also he'd be absolutely mad not to take a three year deal on such huge money!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote:I read this and couldn't really figure out if the quarter comment was accurate.

He's on 1.2m over three years in London Irish seemingly. Quarter of that would be 300k over three years here.

Surely he was at least offered that?

Maybe he means he wasn't offered a three year contract by Leinster?

Also he'd be absolutely mad not to take a three year deal on such huge money!
Maybe he wasn't given an offer at all. Maybe because he's played so little for Leinster over the space of the last contract that he wasn't seen as a viable option at all. I suppose it is a business after all.