A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by ronk »

Carbery has done well but not surprisingly well. Another year of development and a run without injury has been good. I can’t say that he’s doing better than if he stayed.

Munster have acquired a lot of talent for their back line and adding a star like Carbery has not brought them on a huge amount.

I don’t think he’s done much on the pitch that puts Sexton under any real selection pressure. Maybe in time it will change, I will reappraise if it does.

He’s an immensely talented player with some kinks. I still have a fear that Munster will adapt to those kinks rather than iron them out.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Thus far, I'm a Carbery, rather than Byrne fan. However, Joey certainly didn't perform against Castres away and that sort of environment is where the top level excel.

My read on the Exeter game was that Murray, and probably Van Grann, decided that Munster were largely going to play 9-man rigby with a lot of ball in the air. Joey largely was starved of possession and didn't do muck with what he got.

Joey is maturing. Whether it's fast enough, or even as fast as he would have with Lancaster and Conteponi, is a moot point. I've yet to be convinced that Munster have Attack Coach of real quality so he may have to learn mostly in Irish Camp.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Thus far, I'm a Carbery, rather than Byrne fan. However, Joey certainly didn't perform against Castres away and that sort of environment is where the top level excel.

My read on the Exeter game was that Murray, and probably Van Grann, decided that Munster were largely going to play 9-man rigby with a lot of ball in the air. Joey largely was starved of possession and didn't do muck with what he got.

Joey is maturing. Whether it's fast enough, or even as fast as he would have with Lancaster and Conteponi, is a moot point. I've yet to be convinced that Munster have Attack Coach of real quality so he may have to learn mostly in Irish Camp.
He didn't do much either.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

D4surfer wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Thus far, I'm a Carbery, rather than Byrne fan. However, Joey certainly didn't perform against Castres away and that sort of environment is where the top level excel.

He didn't do much either.
Touche´
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Excellent article by Darce in IT today. With their wall I don't have tecnical capacity to post it but worth a read.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting interview with Emmet Byrne. He's a smart guy. Albeit you will need to listen to 'Go Easy' too. You've been warned! https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/have-ir ... -world-cup
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

wixfjord wrote:Interesting interview with Emmet Byrne. He's a smart guy. Albeit you will need to listen to 'Go Easy' too. You've been warned! https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/have-ir ... -world-cup
Dear God, "go easy" makes that un listenable. Would have like to listen to more of Emmet but I had to turn it off.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's available in your favourite podcast app btw. You don't have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous SoundCloud or it's web player.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.
Dont Panic!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
'f%~k outta here with your measured commentary
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Peg Leg wrote:
Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
'f%~k outta here with your measured commentary
Yeah ok, sorry...i forgot... :arrow:
Dont Panic!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Compare the journalistic ability of Hugo from this parish with anything bar MK and it shows up how poorly the main newspapers rugby journalism is. Simple facts kills the premise that Deegan isn't getting a chance. He has featured in 14 games this season and has 35 caps as a 22 year old.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

the spoofer wrote:
Compare the journalistic ability of Hugo from this parish with anything bar MK and it shows up how poorly the main newspapers rugby journalism is. Simple facts kills the premise that Deegan isn't getting a chance. He has featured in 14 games this season and has 35 caps as a 22 year old.
So this 22 y/o has only featured in 70% of our games so far this season?!! I always wondered what the definition of a "logjam" was.... :)
I'm being over-sensitive but sometimes I feel like there's a journalistic crusade to move as many talented players out of Leinster as possible.
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote:
+1 :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Logjam is a complete fiction. Look at tomorrow’s team for Zebre.

We now have the least backrow depth of any province in real terms.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

"featured" doesn't mean starts though, and obviously some of those appearances haven't been at 8. I presume he just wants to play at 8 and have no idea what his feelings are about playing elsewhere, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he might think he should be getting more time at 8.

It can't have been easy for him to see Leavy and SOB in at 8 (and play badly) this season either. The way he finished last season made me think that he had even had a shot at overtaking Conan and I'd wager that he was backing himself to make that happen. The fact that it hasn't and Doris seems to be getting more of a shot to stake a claim at 8 (and I'm not talking about the number of appearances, it's more nuanced than that and Doris starting the first game of the season at 8 is a prime example) makes it totally understandable that he might want to move IMO. Haven't read ROC's piece so don't know what else he said but I think it's naive just to look at the number of appearances and expect Deegan to be content.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Munster could have a logjam at eight if they developed O'Donoghue (who has gone backwards since his U20s days imo), Coombes, O'Sullivan and now Hodnett. Easier to sign up Botha though.
Serb
Mullet

A whiff of Cordite

Post by Serb »

Ah look, we shouldn’t have to concern ourselves with what Munster do, but their inability or unwillingness to develop talent is beginning to take it’s toll.

A friend of mine has been harping on about Bill Johnston, “special talent” etc etc, he’s 22 with 9 appearances for Munster at this point - a club who have been crying out for quality at 10 for multiple seasons.

Frawley has played more times for Leinster and only emerged last season. By the same age, we had also given significant game time to both Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery, and this is with literally the best 10 in the world sitting ahead of them in the pecking order.

Right now it feels more like Doris and Deegan will end up down south than any of those talents being developed by Munster.
Last edited by Serb on February 16th, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It looks like the management down south are facing impatience and success is demanded. They neglected the academy for years and now short term ism in the first team is leaving them wihh nowhere to go.

It's a tricky balancing act that the provinces are forced into, and one Leinster recently failed badly at. You can understand the frustration at Munster though. Enough rebuilding, on witjh winning. It's just surprising the IRFU indulges them.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Serb wrote:Ah look, we shouldn’t have to concern ourselves with what Munster do, but their inability or unwillingness to develop talent is beginning to take it’s toll.

A friend of mine has been harping on about Bill Johnston, “special talent” etc etc, he’s 22 with 9 appearances for Munster at this point - a club who have been crying out for quality at 10 for multiple seasons.

Frawley has played more times for Leinster and only emerged last season. By the same age, we had also given significant game time to both Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery, and this is with literally the best 10 in the world sitting ahead of them in the pecking order.

Right now it feels more like Doris and Deegan will end up down south than any of those talents being developed by Munster.
Was just thinking the same thing with regards to Johnson. He's a good player and Munster are doing very, very little to further his development.

The IRFU should pressure him to move to Connacht to provide a 1-2 combination with Jack Carthy, in the same manner they pressured Carbery. Get the move done this season 'for the good of Irish rugby' – the backline coaching in Connacht seems a lot more advanced than in Munster and Johnston will get a lot more time on the pitch.

Since Johnston's promotion to the Munster senior squad before the 2017-18 season, he has played in a total of 8 games [3+5, 259 mins]. There are three outhalves ahead of him in his province: Athy man Joey Carbery [23], Kerry's JJ Hanrahan [26] and Christchurch-born Tyler Bleyendaal [28]. van Graan was fiddling around with Bleyendaal at No12 but obviously just selected him at outhalf for the last match, against the absolutely f*cking tragic Southern Queens. If Johnston can't get a spot on the bench in a home fixture during the Six Nations against cr@p opposition, where's his career going?