As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Post by desperado »

https://www.the42.ie/racing-leinster-ul ... 7-Feb2019/

What a shower of tossers if true. Make it up as you go along.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Well we've been doing it for years.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

not changing the rules midstream. Smacks of Jackie Lorenzetti and brown envelopes. If it was announced at season start I wouldn't have an issue. Regardless, Lansdowne Road is not our home ground. We play 2 -3 games there (if lucky) per season. Racing play circa 14? games at La Defense concert hall. Not sure I'd agree they're comparable.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

In fairness, the “home country advantage” rule was more ridiculous than just awarding the higher seed a home game. I agree that it sucks they’re thinking of changing this mid competition, but I think it makes more sense overall. We effectively get a home semi regardless of the rules if Toulouse can beat Racing.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

It's the capacity that bothers me.

This competition wanted to be the best rugby championship. They went down the line of trying to get multiple sponsors (which ultimately was a failure)

But if they want to be portraying this as a prime competition that investors should be getting behind, the semi final should really be in a venue of larger than 32,000
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:It's the capacity that bothers me.

This competition wanted to be the best rugby championship. They went down the line of trying to get multiple sponsors (which ultimately was a failure)

But if they want to be portraying this as a prime competition that investors should be getting behind, the semi final should really be in a venue of larger than 32,000
Good point and 32k doesn't even come close to meeting the likely demand for tickets which is surely (or should be) a major consideration.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschool wrote:

Good point and 32k doesn't even come close to meeting the likely demand for tickets which is surely (or should be) a major consideration.
Well their press release claimed that having suitably large venues was the motivation for the non-home venue rule in the first place but that now some of the teams had suitably prestigious venues. So they must think 32k is fine.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Well their press release claimed that having suitably large venues was the motivation for the non-home venue rule in the first place but that now some of the teams had suitably prestigious venues. So they must think 32k is fine.
Not necessarily but it could be a way of tabling the idea for future action.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

because most teams struggle to get 32k.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

A full stadium has to be more of a priority for the competition than the biggest stadium. Surely they only really care about the live audience to provide wallpaper for the TV coverage. I don't think it's right that French teams can get rewarded for playing well with a trek to the other end of the country.

It would be better to change the rules before the competition started rather than mid season though.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Changing the rules mid-season is typical of the EPCR, probably want to avoid a repeat of the Racing 92 Munster semi final last year when the crowd was just less than 25k in a 35k stadium.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

desperado wrote:not changing the rules midstream. Smacks of Jackie Lorenzetti and brown envelopes. If it was announced at season start I wouldn't have an issue. Regardless, Lansdowne Road is not our home ground. We play 2 -3 games there (if lucky) per season. Racing play circa 14? games at La Defense concert hall. Not sure I'd agree they're comparable.
You’re right: of course they’re not comparable. For the reason you quote alone.

A clear perversion of the spirit of the rules. No surprise it comes after we supposedly played our QF and SF matches last year “at home” last year-accordingly the oligarch-friendly media.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It makes sense to look at exceptions at QF time rather than covering everyone at the start.

The rule is there for a valid reason, but it's also there to raise attendances for marquee games.

Moving Edinburgh away from Murrayfield is unreasonable. Similarly it seems odd to move from a 32k stadium to a 35k one.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Champions Cup quarter-final refs...

Edinburgh/Munster - Pascal Gauzere
Saracens/Glasgow - Nigel Owens
Leinster/Ulster - Romain Poite
Racing/Toulouse - Luke Pearce

S/F Jerome Garces & Wayne Barnes

https://twitter.com/andNickMullins/stat ... 0094458880
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

neill_m wrote:Champions Cup quarter-final refs...

If I understand the permutations properly...it is likely to be a Sarries V Munster semi.....I would guess in Wembley (Allianz park is 15,000 max) and if we get past Ulster, it will be a Racing v Leinster semi in Paris La Défense Arena (32,000 capacity.)....and a long shot but if Toulouse manage to sneak a win we get home semi...

Either way..I guess we get Barnes as a ref.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

If I understand the permutations properly...it is likely to be a Sarries V Munster semi.....I would guess in Wembley (Allianz park is 15,000 max) and if we get past Ulster, it will be a Racing v Leinster semi in Paris La Défense Arena (32,000 capacity.)....and a long shot but if Toulouse manage to sneak a win we get home semi...

Indeed Mr Garces will be handling the SF with no French sides and by default Barnesy gets the SF involving a French side. Does appear if Racing 92 win in QF, they will have a decent chance of playing the SF in their own place. Where Sarries would take a SF - Coventry, Watford, Twickenham, Wembley and New Spurs ground all possibilities in theory. Milton Keynes also possible but there is a busy soccer schedule over the Easter weekend in England and they are down to have a home game on Easter Monday.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Dan Carter may be heading back to Racing to cover Lambie’s retirement for rest of season.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

neill_m wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

Indeed Mr Garces will be handling the SF with no French sides and by default Barnesy gets the SF involving a French side. Does appear if Racing 92 win in QF, they will have a decent chance of playing the SF in their own place. Where Sarries would take a SF - Coventry, Watford, Twickenham, Wembley and New Spurs ground all possibilities in theory. Milton Keynes also possible but there is a busy soccer schedule over the Easter weekend in England and they are down to have a home game on Easter Monday.
Not that it impacts us...but...It looks like wembley is available for that weekend (no England soccer internationals there and tottenham are playing away on the 20th to man city).
http://www.thefa.com/england/mens-senio ... es-results
Twickenham is free too.

I went to the Saracens V Leinster pool game about 6 years ago at wembley.... We sneaked a win that day...and it is not a bad stadium. it was about 17 quid a ticket for decent seats and it was about 60% full. Less distance to travel after the game for craic compared to twickenham. Saracens fans put on a hogs roast for leinster fans in the green man pub around the corner from the stadium. twas a good night.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Believe it or not that game in Wembley was October 2010

There was a good crowd, but sadly quite a number were only there to see Tinnie Tempah at half time, and they left on commencement o& the second half.

My abiding memory of that game, was the idiot on the MC, and his playing of that awful Chas and Dave inspired come on Saracens song. He kept intervening during live play even played the song louder near the end in an attempt to drown out th3 Leinster fans noise.

Ps there were more hog roasts than Saracens fans in the Green Man afterwards !
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

bails wrote:Believe it or not that game in Wembley was October 2010

There was a good crowd, but sadly quite a number were only there to see Tinnie Tempah at half time, and they left on commencement o& the second half.

My abiding memory of that game, was the idiot on the MC, and his playing of that awful Chas and Dave inspired come on Saracens song. He kept intervening during live play even played the song louder near the end in an attempt to drown out th3 Leinster fans noise.

Ps there were more hog roasts than Saracens fans in the Green Man afterwards !
Stadium was good, area around it not so much. Seem to recall they had an Elvis impersonator on before the match started too. Bizarre crowd that day. About 5k Leinster supporters, a few thousand Saracens fans, some neutrals and about 30,000 daytrippers who'd paid £10 to see Tinie Tempah. Also pretty sure the "Stand Up for the Saracens" ditty they played ad nauseam was by Right Said Fred.

Sexton was immense that day. Think he scored all our points.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish