Leinster v Southern Kings Fri 7.55 Eir

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Southern Kings Fri 7.55 Eir

Post by wixfjord »

Kings are pretty atrocious. I think we should be looking to experiment a good bit in this. Getting the balance between senior guys and those who played in Italy and giving young lads a start will be key.

Maybe something like:

Dooley, Byrne, Vakh, Molony, Kearney, Murphy, Deegan, Doris, HOS, Frawley, Lowe, Reid, COB, MCF, DK

Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Dunne, Dowling, JGP, Byrne, Daly
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Southern Kings Fri 7.55 Eir

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Kings are pretty atrocious. I think we should be looking to experiment a good bit in this. Getting the balance between senior guys and those who played in Italy and giving young lads a start will be key.

Maybe something like:

Dooley, Byrne, Vakh, Molony, Kearney, Murphy, Deegan, Doris, HOS, Frawley, Lowe, Reid, COB, MCF, DK

A good selection. The Kings are dreadful, amongst the worst pro rugby teams I've ever seen. London Welsh were terribly sh*t back in 2014-15, conceding over a thousand points in 22 games in the Premiership, and Zebre lost every one of their games in their first season [2012-13] ... so the Kings aren't the very worst side I've seen, but they're useless.

The only value is in looking at this game strategically, because it isn't going to help us in the knock-outs of either competition. We're going to win, we'll very likely get a bonus point, so what are we looking to do beyond that?

1] Protect important players from injury; 2] bolster experience in our Heineken Cup squad in case of a crisis [Frawley, OBrien, O'Sullivan, Patterson]; 3] bring long-term injured players back into competitive rugby with a gimme fixture; 4] push academy players with an eye on next season's first two months during RWC19.

Luke McGrath isn't back yet, so would exclude JGP from this one on the basis that he is too valuable to get injured. Ditto Fardy, given Dev's injury. Just no need to risk him. James Tracy has played in more matches than anyone else in the squad this season, plus we all want to see Kelleher play, so I'd give JT a break. Very tempted to give Ross Byrne the weekend off as well ... let Reider play the last half-hour at outhalf and have Jimmy O'Brien on the bench as inside back cover.

Would very much like to see Deegan start at No8, but I realise that he's the only semi-viable option available at No7. Fingers crossed that Leavy might be available for one of the games over the next two weeks ... he's missed 8 weeks at this stage.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

1. Dooley
2. Bryne
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Kearney
6. Doris
7. Leavy
8. Deegan
9. HOS
10. Frawley
11. Lowe
12. COB
13. ROL
14. McFadden
15. Kearney
16. Kelleher
17. Byrne
18. Vakh
19. Dunne
20. Murphy
21. Patterson
22. Reid
23. Daly
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Kings are pretty atrocious. I think we should be looking to experiment a good bit in this. Getting the balance between senior guys and those who played in Italy and giving young lads a start will be key.

Maybe something like:

A good selection. The Kings are dreadful, amongst the worst pro rugby teams I've ever seen. London Welsh were terribly sh*t back in 2014-15, conceding over a thousand points in 22 games in the Premiership, and Zebre lost every one of their games in their first season [2012-13] ... so the Kings aren't the very worst side I've seen, but they're useless.

The only value is in looking at this game strategically, because it isn't going to help us in the knock-outs of either competition. We're going to win, we'll very likely get a bonus point, so what are we looking to do beyond that?

1] Protect important players from injury; 2] bolster experience in our Heineken Cup squad in case of a crisis [Frawley, OBrien, O'Sullivan, Patterson]; 3] bring long-term injured players back into competitive rugby with a gimme fixture; 4] push academy players with an eye on next season's first two months during RWC19.

Luke McGrath isn't back yet, so would exclude JGP from this one on the basis that he is too valuable to get injured. Ditto Fardy, given Dev's injury. Just no need to risk him. James Tracy has played in more matches than anyone else in the squad this season, plus we all want to see Kelleher play, so I'd give JT a break. Very tempted to give Ross Byrne the weekend off as well ... let Reider play the last half-hour at outhalf and have Jimmy O'Brien on the bench as inside back cover.

Would very much like to see Deegan start at No8, but I realise that he's the only semi-viable option available at No7. Fingers crossed that Leavy might be available for one of the games over the next two weeks ... he's missed 8 weeks at this stage.
Everything you both say about the Kings being cr@p is 100% accurate.

But, they scored 5 tries against us in the reverse fixture against what I would imagine will be a similarly selected Leinster team. If we take our usual dose of Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze like we did on Saturday, we could find ourselves in trouble because they do have one thing in abundance that we don't really have so much of. Blinding pace.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Are you saying a potential back three of Lowe, MCF and DK doesn't have blinding pace!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:Are you saying a potential back three of Lowe, MCF and DK doesn't have blinding pace!
It has very many things, but no, blinding pace is not one of them! :D
I have Bumbleflex
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I'd like to see a bit more of Jimmy O'Brien at 13. He was good when he got a start against the Ospreys or the Dragons or whoever.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Rhys Ruddock has been sidelined with a hamstring injury suffered in Leinster training last week.

Rules him out of possible involvement for Ireland against Italy this weekend.

Dan Leavy is also still unavailable as he continues to rehabilitate a calf injury.

Dave Kearney has entered the return-to-play protocols after presenting with "minor latent concussive symptoms" after the win against Zebre. #Leinster
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think it's time to start rumours about Leavy being a cokehead. I reckon himself and Murray were caught together but the IRFU would only pay for rehab for the Munster player.

Always feel for DK when he gets injured, poor guy really can't string a few games together. I'd like to see Frawley at 15 if he's out.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Dave Cahill wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Maybe something like:

Everything you both say about the Kings being cr@p is 100% accurate.

But, they scored 5 tries against us in the reverse fixture against what I would imagine will be a similarly selected Leinster team. If we take our usual dose of Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze like we did on Saturday, we could find ourselves in trouble because they do have one thing in abundance that we don't really have so much of. Blinding pace.

I would agree with you.
Southern Kings may have been awful to date, but they do have blinding pace, they will have been together for a full week following last week's game in Cork and no doubt they will have a physical pack.

I think and hope we will have a side similar to last weekends. Why do Jack McGrath, Michael Bent, Ross Molony and Ross Byrne need time off, they have only had one game in a month.
So mix of experienced Pro's and young talent should be our ideal line up !

I cant help but think of Glasgow last year. They were so far ahead in their conference, they took their foot off the pedal, and started losing games. Unfortunately by the time the semi finals came round they could not find their form again and were well beaten at home by the Scarlets.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Leinster's form in the league fell off a cliff after the 6N last season too. Didn't seem to overly affect us when it mattered.

I reckon that Glasgow's weak pack was a bigger problem for them than their dip in form in the league.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Andrew Porter was at Leinster training this morning. As were Garry Ringrose and Luke McGrath, although going by the photos they weren't taking a full part in training.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

cormac wrote:Andrew Porter was at Leinster training this morning. As were Garry Ringrose and Luke McGrath, although going by the photos they weren't taking a full part in training.
And a Center from the Atlantic Falcons. Will he be propin' on Friday?

Best Medical Joker ever :shock:
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
cormac wrote:Andrew Porter was at Leinster training this morning. As were Garry Ringrose and Luke McGrath, although going by the photos they weren't taking a full part in training.

6' 4'' and 140kgs.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

the spoofer wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:

6' 4'' and 140kgs.
I'd say his pace over 10m metres is probably the fastest of the lot too :lol:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

the spoofer wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:

6' 4'' and 140kgs.
Well Fup me! :shock:

To put that in perspective, Google has Mario Itojo at 115kg

.....and Billy Vunipola at 130KG.

That lad would take some shiftin'. Sign 'em up I say :lol:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'd like to see Vakh get a start here.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Porter not in Ireland squad, so will be available this week. So assume he will be starting.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well seeing as we're wishing for things, I'd like to see a 9 /10 of either...

HOS / R Byrne
or
JGP / Frawley
but not
HOS / Frawley

I think Frawleys confidence looks rattled since the Munster game (particularly with all forms of kicking from hand) and would benefit from the experience of JGP. If they deem HOS need the game time I'd pair him with Ross for the seem reason.

I thought at times against Scarlets HOS and Frawley made each other nervous.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Aye that's a good point alright. Also given Porter is now available, I presume he'll start. Hopefully Vakh benches and gets a good few minutes. He needs games like this if he's going to be our 2nd choice during the RWC next season.