Italy v Ireland Sun 24/02/19 3pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

lummix
Graduate

Re: Italy v Ireland Sun 24/02/19 3pm

Post by lummix »

Awful performance lucky to get away with it.
Earl's isn't a centre, poor defensively, some nice breaks though.
What about trying Stockdale at full back
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Soooooo many handling errors, and we’re far too predictable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Away BP win by second string is the big positive.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Obliterating every bit of optimism for the World Cup might be Joe's greatest moment in coaching.

Something is deeply wrong. I don't understand how we've suddenly become so disorganised. Remember when Murray was shouting for blockers for a kick but nobody did it? So he just passed the ball to set up another opportunity to kick, and players looked to block for him, but he got blocked down! And not only that, but he was giving out to the other players as he ran across to that ruck. That's the other thing that really worries me, the attitude and the body language was really bad. Our lack of physicality is the last big worry, it's a constant theme now and the changes to the side made no difference. That said, a fresh Healy, Ryan, Conan, and Henshaw would make a big difference against France, and there could be another three or four changes as well. Bundee looked good before he went off so his injury was a loss in several different way.

Sexton was poor but he took an awful lot of cheap shots, much more illegal than the Scottish ones. What really gets to me is that he's not playing well and is injured to the point where Murray takes the kicks, and yet he stays on? I have to wonder if Joe would have been as reluctant to hook him if Ross Byrne had been on the bench.

There are lots of players missing and many of them will be back soon and I'd expect us to improve when they are, but one guy I think we really miss is Leavy. I don't mean to go on about him but SOB was really poor today (dropped kick off, poor pass to Murray, two penalties, missed tackle on Tebaldi, and largely very slow to get back to his feet and into the line) and whilst I'm a huge fan of Josh I think the last few months have shown that Leavy just takes us to another level. Basically everything he brings to the table is what we're lacking right now.

We need a spark elsewhere though and the two options I'd like to see would be Joey as an option at fullback off the bench (again, sorry for being a broken record), and Beirne in the 23. I doubt Joey will be available again during the tournament but hopefully we see it in August.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The problem is O'Mahony, I dont know why.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Spot on on leavy, he is a hybrid of van der flier and SOB. Excellent ball carrier like SOB but with better footwork, fast to the breakdown like josh and a turnover machine. We really miss him.

Could we be trying something different with conditioning at the moment, we look flat almost a yard off the pace
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:The problem is O'Mahony, I dont know why.
:lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

lummix wrote:Spot on on leavy, he is a hybrid of van der flier and SOB. Excellent ball carrier like SOB but with better footwork, fast to the breakdown like josh and a turnover machine. We really miss him.

Could we be trying something different with conditioning at the moment, we look flat almost a yard off the pace
I've wondered that too. Is there any chance we peaked for the NZ game with an eye to mimicking that prep for Japan? World Cup final is the 2nd November and we played NZ on the 17th last year. I don't think the provinces have impressed in the physical stakes either, remember how hard it was for Leinster to break down Toulouse at the RDS?, or Bath away? Munster had the good for a loose game against Gloucester but struggled in the arm wrestle against Exeter.

Maybe that's nonsense but we just look so flat.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:The problem is O'Mahony, I dont know why.
Yeah you do.
You're just too chicken to spell it out.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Obliterating every bit of optimism for the World Cup might be Joe's greatest moment in coaching.

Something is deeply wrong. I don't understand how we've suddenly become so disorganised. Remember when Murray was shouting for blockers for a kick but nobody did it? So he just passed the ball to set up another opportunity to kick, and players looked to block for him, but he got blocked down! And not only that, but he was giving out to the other players as he ran across to that ruck. That's the other thing that really worries me, the attitude and the body language was really bad. Our lack of physicality is the last big worry, it's a constant theme now and the changes to the side made no difference. That said, a fresh Healy, Ryan, Conan, and Henshaw would make a big difference against France, and there could be another three or four changes as well. Bundee looked good before he went off so his injury was a loss in several different way.

Sexton was poor but he took an awful lot of cheap shots, much more illegal than the Scottish ones. What really gets to me is that he's not playing well and is injured to the point where Murray takes the kicks, and yet he stays on? I have to wonder if Joe would have been as reluctant to hook him if Ross Byrne had been on the bench.

There are lots of players missing and many of them will be back soon and I'd expect us to improve when they are, but one guy I think we really miss is Leavy. I don't mean to go on about him but SOB was really poor today (dropped kick off, poor pass to Murray, two penalties, missed tackle on Tebaldi, and largely very slow to get back to his feet and into the line) and whilst I'm a huge fan of Josh I think the last few months have shown that Leavy just takes us to another level. Basically everything he brings to the table is what we're lacking right now.

We need a spark elsewhere though and the two options I'd like to see would be Joey as an option at fullback off the bench (again, sorry for being a broken record), and Beirne in the 23. I doubt Joey will be available again during the tournament but hopefully we see it in August.
With Sexton off form, move Joey to FB?
No way, Joey needs to get as many minutes at international level as Joe can give him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
lummix wrote:Spot on on leavy, he is a hybrid of van der flier and SOB. Excellent ball carrier like SOB but with better footwork, fast to the breakdown like josh and a turnover machine. We really miss him.

I've wondered that too. Is there any chance we peaked for the NZ game with an eye to mimicking that prep for Japan? World Cup final is the 2nd November and we played NZ on the 17th last year. I don't think the provinces have impressed in the physical stakes either, remember how hard it was for Leinster to break down Toulouse at the RDS?, or Bath away? Munster had the good for a loose game against Gloucester but struggled in the arm wrestle against Exeter.

Maybe that's nonsense but we just look so flat.
That's my take on it.
Even the match time early season was different than the normal start of season game time.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Like I said, Joey is injured now. But there will be games (the England one being a good example) where we're not going to hook Johnny and could do with a second playmaker.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Like I said, Joey is injured now. But there will be games (the England one being a good example) where we're not going to hook Johnny and could do with a second playmaker.
Get where you're coming from, Henshaw doesn't appear to be the answer and is it reasonable to assume that Larmour is no longer being considered for the role.
It is also possible as you suggest that Joe might be playing possum?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Relax everybody.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on February 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Relax everybody. This is an Irish Squad which doesn't have the 6 Nations as it's priority. Some players are subconciously worried about being injured (again); some are trying (too) hard; some are trying to prove to Joe that they are good enough to be in the RWC Squad. This Squad are not on the same wave-length and without that unity, they won't get back to where they were in November, or last March.

I'm hoping that the short-term objective of going to Cardiff to take on Wales to stop them winning Grand Slam & Triple Crown and giving Gatland a major victory over Joe tactically, will serve to unite them all to stop worrying about their individual concerns and get back together to achieve something for Joe and for each other.

This happens with all sorts of teams in all sorts of sports. You can't play only with your head and win at the top of the sport. You need heart and head for the big wins. To do that you need a common objective, good preparation and strong motivation. They're just about ready now and there'll be plenty left for next October.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

Obliterating every bit of optimism for the World Cup might be Joe's greatest moment in coaching.

Very much agree. He yanked Cronin off as soon as was respectable and yet let Sexton and Murray play well past the 70th min mark with both doing terrible. You could make allowances for Sexton with a debutant on the bench but Cooney is on form and doing well. I'd have Ross Byrne in the squad again and starting the French game if Carberry isn't fit.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Stockdale is world class, pity he can’t pass.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Bonus point win away from home featuring players off form or coming back from injury, players from 3rd/4th choice string being offered a chance, and very little in the way of moves given away to video analysis for Wales or RWC rivals, against an improved Italy backboned by improved club performances and I'll also say improved by not having an aging Parisse on the pitch.

All in all yes disappointing in terms of certain players not stepping up when offered a chance but take the points and move on, did Wales not have a similar fate in Italy and I could be wrong here but missed the bonus point?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

TerenureJim wrote:Bonus point win away from home featuring players off form or coming back from injury, players from 3rd/4th choice string being offered a chance, and very little in the way of moves given away to video analysis for Wales or RWC rivals, against an improved Italy backboned by improved club performances and I'll also say improved by not having an aging Parisse on the pitch.

All in all yes disappointing in terms of certain players not stepping up when offered a chance but take the points and move on, did Wales not have a similar fate in Italy and I could be wrong here but missed the bonus point?
You are right. Wales beat Italy by 11 points and failed to get a bonus point.
Scotland beat them by 13 in Murrayfield
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

In pregame interview on ITV Joe was adamant that Murray and sexton needed as much game time as possible- he certainly did that. Both were well below their usual standard and looked like their first seasons but without the enthusiasm. Sexton’s reaction when subbed at the end said it all (haven’t we been here before with him?). Murray threw his passes behind the players just like MOC used to coach. The comparison to the Italian 9 was frightening (why can’t a player on the losing team get man of the match awards?)
Both hookers throwing was poor too - only shored up when throwing to their provincial buddies (used province calls?)
Stock dale is a great runner but is poor at catching anything.
We already knew Earls is not a centre - interesting that Italy started by targeting his wing just like England and Scotland did.
Rob didn’t put in the commanding performance at the back we needed, though he was better than recently. Was disappointed with Conway - he’s been playing better than that.
Props did well considering the rest of the team
POM was best of the starting back row - he at least did the things he was selected for
Second/third string not where we thought they were but they still won.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!