The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by sunshiner1 »

Supposedly Hart is talks to join Biarritz too so he will have company at least. DOC can be good when he's not injured but that's rarely. Biarritz is about a good a club as he and Hart could get.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/new-co ... -scrapped/

This will worry Munster management and fans.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

offshorerules wrote:https://www.planetrugby.com/news/new-co ... -scrapped/

Who have they got that is likely to get a springbok call up? Klein has signed on for another few years and would want to preserve his soon to be newly found IQness. Taute gone before the next bok test. Botha? Hardly likely. Cloete? Well if CJ was too short to be a bok......
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

And they can just sign another 3 or 4 from us.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:

Who have they got that is likely to get a springbok call up? Klein has signed on for another few years and would want to preserve his soon to be newly found IQness. Taute gone before the next bok test. Botha? Hardly likely. Cloete? Well if CJ was too short to be a bok......
He wasn't too short to captain the U20s and was on his way to getting capped.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Future recruitment was what I was thinking about.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

offshorerules wrote:Future recruitment was what I was thinking about.

The Munster academy is finally producing players in numbers as the age grade sides have closed the gap to Leinsters. I don't think there'll be as much future recruitment needed.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

dropkick wrote:

The Munster academy is finally producing players in numbers as the age grade sides have closed the gap to Leinsters. I don't think there'll be as much future recruitment needed.
:lol:
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:

:lol:

You don't agree?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

dropkick wrote:

You don't agree?
that munster won't be recruiting SA in the future? yeah I don't agree.

and as of yet I don't think they've closed the gap with leinster really, they have the occasional strong age group but it's not consistent yet.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:

You don't agree?

and as of yet I don't think they've closed the gap with leinster really, they have the occasional strong age group but it's not consistent yet.

There was a big gap not so long ago. Obviously Leinster are stronger but its not like a few years back. There was nobody as critical of Munster as me.

There was need for imports. On the one hand ye are saying the academy is weak but then criticising Munster signing players
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

dropkick wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:

You don't agree?

There was a big gap not so long ago. Obviously Leinster are stronger but its not like a few years back. There was nobody as critical of Munster as me.

There was need for imports. On the one hand ye are saying the academy is weak but then criticising Munster signing players
I said I don't agree that Munster won't recruit players from SA again, the almost certainly will.

Munster's academy is improved for sure, don't see that filtering much into the senior team though yet.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:

I said I don't agree that Munster won't recruit players from SA again, the almost certainly will.

Munster's academy is improved for sure, don't see that filtering much into the senior team though yet.
I'm surprised at your opinion Mildly, I don't see that it has improved that much. It has maybe crept forward a small amount, but its production of players who are capable of playing for the national side is practically non-existent, and the production of players for its own provincial needs is completely inadequate. The improvement is insignificant in practical terms. It's neither a productive nor efficient system, and the head coach clearly has little faith in the players coming through it, whatever he may publicly profess.

I looked at the levels of gametime in the academies two months ago and the Munster set-up was right down at the bottom of provincial ratings.

"From the academy, Shane Daly [3+1, 233 mins], Gavin Coombes [1+4, 151 mins] and Liam Coombes [1+0, 80 mins], Sean O’Connor [0+2, 41 mins], and Diarmuid Barron [0+1, 4 mins] have seen gametime in the Pro14. That amounts to 5 starts and 496 mins of gametime over 15 games – 5 of a possible 225 [15 starters x 15 games] starts, just 2.2%. In terms of gametime it’s 496 out of 18000 available minutes [15 games x 15 positions x 80 minutes]: 2.75%. These are very low numbers."

[source: https://dementedmole.com/2018/12/29/mai ... #more-6854 ]

That was published on 29 December, and in the two months since that, Gavin Coombes has had two appearances off the bench for an extra 28 mins [he's now 1+6, 179 mins] and Daly had 1 appearance off the bench for 17 mins [now at 3+2, 250 mins]. And that's it for the academy.

Munster have played 22 games at this stage [16 league + 6 cup]. Their Academy players are still at 5 starts of a possible 330 [15 starters x 22 games], so at this point of the season, 1.5% of starts have gone to academy players. In terms of gametime it's 541 mins out of 26400 [22 games x 15 players on the pitch x 80 mins of gametime]: 2 %. The percentages for starts and gametime were low in December and are getting lower.

Where's the improvement? Has the Munster academy discovered the secret of improving by not playing?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

As I said I don't see the players filtering through into the senior team but in general I think that talent level of the players in their academy is improved on a few years ago.

Now they aren't being used so it might be for naught.

So maybe the academy isn't improved but that talent in the academy has improved would be a better way of putting it.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

This will worry Leinster management and fans more.
The Franchise have 2 primary sources of recruitment, us and South Africa. The chances of the team from Limerick turning even more blue will increase.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

blockhead wrote:

This will worry Leinster management and fans more.
The Franchise have 2 primary sources of recruitment, us and South Africa. The chances of the team from Limerick turning even more blue will increase.

:clap:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:As I said I don't see the players filtering through into the senior team but in general I think that talent level of the players in their academy is improved on a few years ago.

Now they aren't being used so it might be for naught.

So maybe the academy isn't improved but that talent in the academy has improved would be a better way of putting it.
The crop is better because they thought they would need them, they're giving up again. This has happened with Munster over the years, they don't have the patience or the stability to sustain any academy initiatives.

The project player rule change was enough. Munster aren't signing projects anymore. SA rule changes are irrelevant. Some of the young lads are sneaking through before the door shuts: Johnston, Cronin, Wycherly but even they have signings in their positions.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

academy update from munster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPxtBtLTaA

wish leinster did similar but understand why they dont want to broadcast more info about academy players..
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote:academy update from munster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPxtBtLTaA

wish leinster did similar but understand why they dont want to broadcast more info about academy players..
Jaysus, no thank you.. It'd be like an Argos catalogue to the other provinces.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:academy update from munster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPxtBtLTaA

Jaysus, no thank you.. It'd be like an Argos catalogue to the other provinces.
I'm sure they are well aware as it is.. probably spend more time scouting leinster players during the AIL season than their own.