A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
The Doc wrote:
The "population and schools in Leinster are so huuuuge" argument would be more believable if the other academies were offering places to the schools players who don't make the Leinster academy - and developing them that way. Because then they would be tapping in to the larger population. They're not. They're tapping up our professional and academy squad - and all the provinces have approx. the same population of professional and academy players
Have to differ with you there on the first part, Doc. Ulster are/have been doing exactly that - Alan O'Connor, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones, Dave Shanahan, Eric O'Sullivan [A] and Jack Regan [A] were all overlooked by Leinster when it came to selection for the Leinster Academy. Ulster brought them into their own academy and have progressed all of them into their senior squad [bar Regan, who is still in the academy].

But your point re: same number of pros in each provincial set up is a very good one.
Fans do recognise the difference and apply different standards to those moves.

When the IRFU started it's current approach of encouraging elite players to move there were 3 main concerns: all of which appear more valid over time.

It would lead to an exodus of players beyond the initial numbers

Traffic would be one way and not really balance squads

Most importantly, the risk of players moving would affect the development pipeline. If players are quick to move when they dont like selection and are less willing to develop their replacements then coaches have to factor that in.

Suddenly not picking a player for a few games has strong rumours of a move. Is Leo going to be so quick to give Ed Byrne a chance in the HC if he knows McGrath will be on to his agent/publicist.

This season it already looks like the Leinster squad is stratifying (a little) between HC and dirt trackers.

It's the same with player salaries. Moneybags clubs have a limited pool of players they can sign. If they come looking for, e.g. an 8, they want one but we have to give pay rises to Conan, Deegan and Doris to fend off interest.

The players Leinster are losing are painful. But what it will cost to keep the rest is where the real damage is done.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

hugonaut wrote:
The Doc wrote:
The "population and schools in Leinster are so huuuuge" argument would be more believable if the other academies were offering places to the schools players who don't make the Leinster academy - and developing them that way. Because then they would be tapping in to the larger population. They're not. They're tapping up our professional and academy squad - and all the provinces have approx. the same population of professional and academy players
Have to differ with you there on the first part, Doc. Ulster are/have been doing exactly that - Alan O'Connor, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones, Dave Shanahan, Eric O'Sullivan [A] and Jack Regan [A] were all overlooked by Leinster when it came to selection for the Leinster Academy. Ulster brought them into their own academy and have progressed all of them into their senior squad [bar Regan, who is still in the academy].

But your point re: same number of pros in each provincial set up is a very good one.
That's completely fair - and I don't think there is any issue with any of that. I think the recent sense of annoyance is where there is a move towards targeting the more established players (or players on an obvious track). I also feel it slows down local development. McGrath moving because "he's fighting it out with Healy and hasn't played much this season" is particularly irritating to me - he made the Lions in exactly this situation. He hasn't played that much because he was injured, had surgery and Leinster has a history of being patient and bringing players back slowly from injury - which is good for the player... look at Healy. Though I do think McGrath is probably as much a driver in this case.

I get why the IRFU want to widen the playing pool as much as possible - I would just like to see the tactic of moving players around balanced with a demand that all provinces get their sh!t together in terms of the academy and actually bringing players through
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

I think the recent sense of annoyance is where there is a move towards targeting the more established players (or players on an obvious track).
That isn't the way it has been reported though, or perhaps I misread the coverage. I thought the suggestion was that Jack instigated the move. There was also a hint in one of Leo's interviews that there was some friction within the Leinster squad (involving Jack) that might be a factor. But Leo was quite discreet about it and said something to the effect that "we don't talk about those things in public". Maybe you guys have heard some rumours of that?

In my mind it does make a bit of a difference if a player initiates the move. It's a bit like the difference between an employee applying for a new job elsewhere vs being headhunted. In the former, you can only really be mad (or disappointed or whatever) with the employee whereas in the latter you have issues probably with the employee, the recruitment agent (?IRFU) and the new employer (?Ulster). (Probably took that analogy too far).

I agree that Joey is a different case. He is arguably a bigger loss to the squad and there was some very definite outside pressure involved in that move.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Heard a rumor that Nugget might be off to Sarries ...
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not before Sept 1st he won't.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

alanair wrote:Heard a rumor that Nugget might be off to Sarries ...
Queue activity in the Leinster Hookers 2019 thread.
Going forward may be about to get a lot more interesting.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Not before Sept 1st he won't.
Is that when his contract is due for renewal?
Or is the date JS announces his RWC squad?
Or??????
Do you think it's likely?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sean CroninVerified account @SeanCronin2
Delighted to announce that I have partnered up with MSL Grange Motors to be their brand ambassador, looking forward to working with a top quality company.

Think I'll go out and buy a Merc.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

blockhead wrote:Sean CroninVerified account @SeanCronin2
Delighted to announce that I have partnered up with MSL Grange Motors to be their brand ambassador, looking forward to working with a top quality company.

Do Leinster Season Ticket holders get a 20% discount on all products from there?
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Logorrhea wrote:
blockhead wrote:Sean CroninVerified account @SeanCronin2

Do Leinster Season Ticket holders get a 20% discount on all products from there?
I got €500 off a car from Windsor Motors a couple of years back after showing my season ticket. Salesman was not impressed. I see they don't offer the discount anymore. :D
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschool wrote:
alanair wrote:Heard a rumor that Nugget might be off to Sarries ...
Queue activity in the Leinster Hookers 2019 thread.
Going forward may be about to get a lot more interesting.
Didn't he sign a new contract at the beginning of the year? You'd think he was heir apparent now Best is coming to the end of the road but for whatever reason Joe doesn't seem to like him,
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Flash Gordon wrote:Didn't he sign a new contract at the beginning of the year? You'd think he was heir apparent now Best is coming to the end of the road but for whatever reason Joe doesn't seem to like him,
It won’t be Joe's decision. Joe is gonzo after the World Cup.
It makes no sense for him to go now unless the money is massive.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

rugbypass says McGrath to Ulster is done and set to be announced.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote:rugbypass says McGrath to Ulster is done and set to be announced.
If that's the case, then best of luck to him. With Ciano, Ed Byrne and Peter Dooley we should be grand next season at loose-head.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

I dread tapping into this thread....used to be with anxious anticipation of who we signed...now its all about who the frikk is leaving.....
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

tingman wrote:I dread tapping into this thread....used to be with anxious anticipation of who we signed...now its all about who the frikk is leaving.....
Yep. Slowly being dismantled.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

tingman wrote:I dread tapping into this thread....used to be with anxious anticipation of who we signed...now its all about who the frikk is leaving.....
The disappointment when I see it at the top of the listing, the twist in my stomach as the page loads. The disappointment that it’s another departure.

What ever happened to Ror I wonder
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
The disappointment when I see it at the top of the listing, the twist in my stomach as the page loads. The disappointment that it’s another departure.

How do you remember ROR?
You haven't been here a wet day.
Are you ROR?

Anyway, DonnyB ran ROR outta town and then Tomane ran DonnyB outta town.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

blockhead wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:

How do you remember ROR?
Are you ROR?

It’s just when you open the thread it opens the first page with the initial post. Back then I used to look in on the page from time but wasn’t posting. I was living in Lyon and ended up getting French lessons in a class with Juan Manuel Leguizamóns wife.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote: The disappointment when I see it at the top of the listing, the twist in my stomach as the page loads. The disappointment that it’s another departure.

How do you remember ROR?
Are you ROR?

It’s just when you open the thread it opens the first page with the initial post. Back then I used to look in on the page from time but wasn’t posting. I was living in Lyon and ended up getting French lessons in a class with Juan Manuel Leguizamóns wife.
Ah, so you're Bails then?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan