Ireland v. France Sun 10 March 15.00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Well now, this seems typically unpredictable.

Who do we pick?

With no Carbery, will he stick with Carty or call in Ross Byrne?

Did Tadhg Beirne make his point sufficiently clearly?

Do we still need to trial alternative full-backs?

Will playing in front of 50,000 Irish fans return our performance to it’s usual levels or just compound the problems?

Are France so inconsostent as to be impervious to analysis?

I have no idea of the answer to any of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland v. France Sun 10 March 15.00

Post by wixfjord »

I think we need to freshen up the team a bit and bring in guys who will give us some impact. Would be starting Hendo and benching Beirne certainly. We desperately need Ringrose back too, albeit I’m not sure we’ll throw him into start with no gametime.

We’re pretty much guaranteed what the team will be elsewhere, although I’d have VDF in for SOB too.

The Byrne/Carty call will be interesting alright. If Ross has another good game on Friday he’ll be pushing, albeit I can’t see Joe not selecting Carty, who in fairness is in great form.

I’d also love to see Larmour or Conway in ahead of Earls.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

Why is the default position of some posters on this site always replace Earls when there is a problem in the backline. Since his underage days with Thomond RFC everyone down here knew Kieth isnt a centre but he is an excellent wing and a decent fullback for cover if needed.
He delivers in attack and defence unlike some other high profile players who only do one or the other. For the record I think Joe should start Cooney instead of Murray against France and regardless of who understudies Johnny Sexton they should get at least 15 minutes to get proper game time
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RAILWAY1 wrote:Why is the default position of some posters on this site always replace Earls when there is a problem in the backline. Since his underage days with Thomond RFC everyone down here knew Kieth isnt a centre but he is an excellent wing and a decent fullback for cover if needed.
He delivers in attack and defence unlike some other high profile players who only do one or the other. For the record I think Joe should start Cooney instead of Murray against France and regardless of who understudies Johnny Sexton they should get at least 15 minutes to get proper game time
It's similar to default position taken by some regarding RK at FB. If you can find an answer to that, then you might an answer to your query regarding Earls.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Most Leinster fans are happy to play Earls. There may have been questions in the past but theres a general consensus now.

If there is rotation going on he doesnt nees to be immune from it.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:
RAILWAY1 wrote:Why is the default position of some posters on this site always replace Earls when there is a problem in the backline. Since his underage days with Thomond RFC everyone down here knew Kieth isnt a centre but he is an excellent wing and a decent fullback for cover if needed.
It's similar to default position taken by some regarding RK at FB. If you can find an answer to that, then you might an answer to your query regarding Earls.
Agree with both these posts. Earls, Kearney (and Stockdale) continue to deliver well in their positions and are certainly not the source of our current malaise. Yes, all three make mistakes but usually when trying to create for the team. Kearney could work seriously on his right-shoulder tackling, Earls on his left-to-right passing and Stockdale on his catching of low passes. But these are high-end skills that are desirable not essential. Our back three are not the source of team frustration.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

From what the press is saying, I'd guess something like: Healy, Best, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony, VDF, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney
Bench: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Porter, Beirne, Leavy, Carty, Cooney, Larmour
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Yeah there’s encouraging signs around Leavy

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think it would be really thick to bring Leavy back in. We've looked underpowered in general and SOB's lack of fitness was very evident, so the solution is to bring in someone who won't be sharp at all? I've already said that we've missed him hugely and if he'd proved himself in the last couple of Leinster games then I'd be putting him back in the squad, but not now.

Great that Stander looks to be back. As much as I like Conan, I can't see him making the World Cup squad and want as many of the first choice team as possible to play and work us back into form. I didn't care about that for the last two games, but think it's really important for the next couple of weeks.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think it would be really thick to bring Leavy back in. We've looked underpowered in general and SOB's lack of fitness was very evident, so the solution is to bring in someone who won't be sharp at all? I've already said that we've missed him hugely and if he'd proved himself in the last couple of Leinster games then I'd be putting him back in the squad, but not now.

Great that Stander looks to be back. As much as I like Conan, I can't see him making the World Cup squad and want as many of the first choice team as possible to play and work us back into form. I didn't care about that for the last two games, but think it's really important for the next couple of weeks.
I agree with you completely. I'd leave Leavy out and have O'Brien on the bench personally, and I'd start Henshaw over Aki to shake things up.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

On the underpowered front, it'll never happen, but I'd love to see Beirne start at 6. O'Mahony has been good (despite him being struck by some of the same error rate and malaise that is affecting the whole team) but a more powerful 6 could radically change our game. Have O'Mahony & O'Brien on the bench for 60th minute.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I'd love to see it as an option too. With Toner injured I'd start Ryan and Henderson, and then have Beirne to come off the bench for whoever is making less of an impact between Henderson and POM. If everyone was fit I think I'd bench Beirne ahead of Henderson because of that backrow option, think the upgrade at 6 would be more important than fresh legs in the row.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote:On the underpowered front, it'll never happen, but I'd love to see Beirne start at 6. O'Mahony has been good (despite him being struck by some of the same error rate and malaise that is affecting the whole team) but a more powerful 6 could radically change our game. Have O'Mahony & O'Brien on the bench for 60th minute.
Absolutely agree. Going up against France I'd like to see the following pack:

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. O'Mahony
8. Stander/Conan [fitness dependent]

It gets lots of size into the team, lots of big men to go toe-to-toe with the French and not lose the f*cking collisions for the first time this tournament. Four lineout options in Ryan, Henderson, Beirne and O'Mahony, and a lot of powerful ball carriers in every row. O'Mahony's ball carrying is absolutely useless, but he's great in the air, good at the breakdown and an intelligent player; he played No7 in the last of the Australia tests and did a good job. He's also actually in form, so it'd be unfair to drop him.

I'm boring at this stage, but to my mind SOB is a gold standard No20 but not capable of being the player he was as a starter. Playing Beirne at No6 allows you to pick two backrows on the bench if you want to [O'Brien and Leavy/van der Flier?], or you could reward Dillane for his good performance against the Italians.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

hugonaut wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:On the underpowered front, it'll never happen, but I'd love to see Beirne start at 6. O'Mahony has been good (despite him being struck by some of the same error rate and malaise that is affecting the whole team) but a more powerful 6 could radically change our game. Have O'Mahony & O'Brien on the bench for 60th minute.

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. O'Mahony

It gets lots of size into the team, lots of big men to go toe-to-toe with the French and not lose the f*cking collisions for the first time this tournament. Four lineout options in Ryan, Henderson, Beirne and O'Mahony, and a lot of powerful ball carriers in every row. O'Mahony's ball carrying is absolutely useless, but he's great in the air, good at the breakdown and an intelligent player; he played No7 in the last of the Australia tests and did a good job. He's also actually in form, so it'd be unfair to drop him.

I'm boring at this stage, but to my mind SOB is a gold standard No20 but not capable of being the player he was as a starter. Playing Beirne at No6 allows you to pick two backrows on the bench if you want to [O'Brien and Leavy/van der Flier?], or you could reward Dillane for his good performance against the Italians.

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. O'Mahony

That's exactly the horses for courses team that is ideal for the French game.
Totally agree on the point about SOB.
It was very noticeable that he was blowing hard on or about the hour mark against Italy.
JS very wisely called him ashore.
Failure to do so might have resulted in injury SOB and affected the result given the momentum Italy had at the time.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Marmion has being called up to the squad which is great. Hopefully we can show Murray the bench and tell him to sit there. This also makes me more comfortable with Carty as the understudy as him and Marmion have played countless times before.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sunshiner1 wrote:Hopefully we can show Murray the bench and tell him to sit there.
You think that in what is effectively Irelands RWC preseason its a good idea for the coach to bench his badly in need of gametime starting scrumhalf?
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Hopefully we can show Murray the bench and tell him to sit there.
You think that in what is effectively Irelands RWC preseason its a good idea for the coach to bench his badly in need of gametime starting scrumhalf?
It's not extra game time Murray needs, it's more work on the repaired injury allied to some game time.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Unchanged team for France

Ramos; Penaud, Bastareaud, Fickou; Huget, Ntamack; Dupont, Poirot; Guirado (c), Bamba, Vahaamahina, Lambey, Lauret, Iturria, Picamoles.

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I love this (relatively) new use of the phrase "managed through the week". They obviously copped that nobody was buying the "week too soon" nonsense anymore so went with something else.

For their sake I'm glad that France went with the same team, hope to see them perform well. Still some dodgy selections though and I can't wait to see how we expose Huget.