The Nugget

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bails
Graduate

The Nugget

Post by bails »

Thought it a bit hard and unfair to drop Sean Cronin from the Ireland Squad of 37 this morning.

He looks as if he is being made fall guy for some of the failings in Rome.
While we are pre World Cup and an element of experimentation is taking place around the squad, it appears that he has gone from starting an International to 4th cab on the rank.

Agreed 3 lineouts went astray whilst he on the pitch in the first half, but lets look a little deeper around the overall failings.

- the fella has been playing out of his skin this season for Leinster, and would certainly be well up there in nominations for our player of the season.
- The Leinster line out has functioned very well with Nugget at hooker this season - credit to a well oiled, confident group with experienced combinations.
- 2 lineouts went astray in the second half when a replacement was on the pitch
- the line outs were being called by an inexperienced member of the pack, who by his own admission was calling line outs for the second time in his career.
- The inexperience and and lack of cohesion amongst those involved does not lend itself to a smooth operation, yet neither of the other two players appears to have been scape goated in this manner.

Aside from the line out, all scrums were won comfortably when The Nugget was on the pitch, when replacements came on we were penalised at scrum on one occasion in the second half, whilst we were going backwards.
Again, none of these players appear to have been left out of a 37 man squad.
Other players handling, ball skills and discipline were very poor on the day. One noted British and Irish Lion dropped the ball twice, fired a dreadful pass off a line out and conceeded two needless penalties that cost us points. Another passed lethargically, was pickpocked at the base of the ruck twice and knocked on a catchable ball whilst we were in the red zone.
Yet neither has been left out of the squad.

Are the Irish management saying that Sean Cronin is not worthy of a place in a 37 man squad for a crucial international on Sunday, where one of those picked ahead of him is a 36 year old man, another cannot command a first team place at an Irish Province, and the other's performance minute by minute in the last international, was no better or worse than Cronin's.

Time we stood up for one of our own !
He is an absolute vital cog in our Leinster. Rumours around a move to the plastic cesspit in St Albans continue to abound, and the potential and unjust end of his international career in this manner could see him walk, which will harm Leinster significantly.
Serb
Mullet

Re: The Nugget

Post by Serb »

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me that he’s not in the squad. He’s very good, but he’s not in the top two Irish hookers — that’s Best and Scannell. Is he third in that list? He is for me, but no harm taking a look at Herring.

It’s a similar situation to Ross Byrne. He’s the second best 10 imo, but not in Schmidt’s opinion, so again, no harm leaving him out for a bit to get a look at Carty.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

bails wrote:Thought it a bit hard and unfair to drop Sean Cronin from the Ireland Squad of 37 this morning.

While we are pre World Cup and an element of experimentation is taking place around the squad, it appears that he has gone from starting an International to 4th cab on the rank.

Agreed 3 lineouts went astray whilst he on the pitch in the first half, but lets look a little deeper around the overall failings.

- the fella has been playing out of his skin this season for Leinster, and would certainly be well up there in nominations for our player of the season.
- The Leinster line out has functioned very well with Nugget at hooker this season - credit to a well oiled, confident group with experienced combinations.
- the line outs were being called by an inexperienced member of the pack, who by his own admission was calling line outs for the second time in his career.
- The inexperience and and lack of cohesion amongst those involved does not lend itself to a smooth operation, yet neither of the other two players appears to have been scape goated in this manner.

Aside from the line out, all scrums were won comfortably when The Nugget was on the pitch, when replacements came on we were penalised at scrum on one occasion in the second half, whilst we were going backwards.
Other players handling, ball skills and discipline were very poor on the day. One noted British and Irish Lion dropped the ball twice, fired a dreadful pass off a line out and conceeded two needless penalties that cost us points. Another passed lethargically, was pickpocked at the base of the ruck twice and knocked on a catchable ball whilst we were in the red zone.

Are the Irish management saying that Sean Cronin is not worthy of a place in a 37 man squad for a crucial international on Sunday, where one of those picked ahead of him is a 36 year old man, another cannot command a first team place at an Irish Province, and the other's performance minute by minute in the last international, was no better or worse than Cronin's.

He is an absolute vital cog in our Leinster. Rumours around a move to the plastic cesspit in St Albans continue to abound, and the potential and unjust end of his international career in this manner could see him walk, which will harm Leinster significantly.
hard not to agree with this and to think Rob Herring is ahead of him...Give me a break
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

I don't believe for one minute that Scannell is a better all round hooker than Sean Cronin.

Givena choice at Leinster would you choose Cronin or Nugget
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

bails wrote:I don't believe for one minute that Scannell is a better all round hooker than Sean Cronin.

both ??
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

bails wrote:Givena choice at Leinster would you choose Cronin or Nugget
Depends if you are picking a hooker or a number 2.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

bails wrote:I don't believe for one minute that Scannell is a better all round hooker than Sean Cronin.

Is this something to do with his brother? Sure I thought he played scrum-half?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

It doesn't matter how many times you say 37 man squad the reality is he missed out on one of three positions allocated to hookers. It could be a 100 man squad but if there are only 3 hookers in it there are only 3 hookers. You are just being sensationalist.

When he went off against Italy I was devastated for him because I thought the lineout went shite and he did not get to show himself around the field the way the game went. His achilles heel was always his throwing in (even if Gearz2 or whatever comes on and abuses me) and people saying he was to lite to hook in the scrum (Something I know nothing about maybe someone can enlighten me?). The scrum seems to have come on no end over the last two seasons, I think Leinster lost their own scrum for the first time in Europe in the 6th match against Wasps this season and we are super competitive on the oppositions and Nugget is usually in situ. So fair f%~ks to him for mastering this. The line out is still a problem though and can be for Leinster (he is probably better then our other two Byrne and Treacy though in this regard).

Personally I think he brings more then Scannell or Herring so I would have him in but I don't think it is outrageous that they are looking for someone else to step up, Ireland play so much off our lineout it is nearly the most crucial role on the pitch.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Disappointed for him but if Joe thinks its the right call, then its the right call.

Cant just get offended when its one of our own.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Iron Pyrite or Gold.
He's neither but I'm always glad to see him in our HEC 23.
He's a super sub, a gift not every player has the talent (intellect) for.
In Stuleo we trust.
In Joe we trust.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

bails wrote:Thought it a bit hard and unfair to drop Sean Cronin from the Ireland Squad of 37 this morning.

“ plastic cess pit in St Albans “ , sheer genius Bails !.
Flying wedge
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Point of order.

It's "Nugget".

Not "The Nugget".

Thanks.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

OTT wrote:It doesn't matter how many times you say 37 man squad the reality is he missed out on one of three positions allocated to hookers. It could be a 100 man squad but if there are only 3 hookers in it there are only 3 hookers. You are just being sensationalist.

When he went off against Italy I was devastated for him because I thought the lineout went shite and he did not get to show himself around the field the way the game went. His achilles heel was always his throwing in (even if Gearz2 or whatever comes on and abuses me) and people saying he was to lite to hook in the scrum (Something I know nothing about maybe someone can enlighten me?). The scrum seems to have come on no end over the last two seasons, I think Leinster lost their own scrum for the first time in Europe in the 6th match against Wasps this season and we are super competitive on the oppositions and Nugget is usually in situ. So fair f%~ks to him for mastering this. The line out is still a problem though and can be for Leinster (he is probably better then our other two Byrne and Treacy though in this regard).

Personally I think he brings more then Scannell or Herring so I would have him in but I don't think it is outrageous that they are looking for someone else to step up, Ireland play so much off our lineout it is nearly the most crucial role on the pitch.

Ireland play so much off lineout, yet in every big game we are prepared to gamble on a 36 year old man who has never mastered his darts over his entire career.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

footrush wrote:

“ plastic cess pit in St Albans “ , sheer genius Bails !.
and I have not even mentioned the pitch yet !
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

bails wrote:
OTT wrote:It doesn't matter how many times you say 37 man squad the reality is he missed out on one of three positions allocated to hookers. It could be a 100 man squad but if there are only 3 hookers in it there are only 3 hookers. You are just being sensationalist.

Ireland play so much off lineout, yet in every big game we are prepared to gamble on a 36 year old man who has never mastered his darts over his entire career.
I wonder why a coach as meticulous as Schmidt gambles on a 36 year old man like that.

Would you say it just comes up on his magic 8 ball?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Must be great to be so smug !₩
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Great- classic Bails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

OTT wrote:
bails wrote:

I wonder why a coach as meticulous as Schmidt gambles on a 36 year old man like that.

Would you say it just comes up on his magic 8 ball?

Makes u feel good trying to belittle people on here !
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

The bottom line is whether you believe Sean Cronin should be one of the hookers in the Ireland 37 man squad ?

My answer is of course, I actually believe him to be the best no 2 in the country !
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ireland have had two hookers in the professional era who were reliable throwers 95%+ of the time: Shane Byrne and Jerry Flannery. Keith Wood had his wobbles, Best is usually ok but sometimes misfires, Jackman (for Ireland) was a disaster, Sheahan was dodgy....we just don't produce people who can consistently throw the ball in straight and accurately.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!