Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Post by backrower8 »

We need to be able to go after the Welsh forwards for 80 minutes and so we need our most destructive scrummagers.

Killer owns that loss against the head more than anyone. The fact that the French sub-tight head was yellow carded owing to scrum infringements against Killer tells us what the referee knows about scrummaging.

Was it deliberate of Joe to pick an all-Munster sub front row? I would say it was a factor. An All-Leinster (bar Best) approach to the two front rows in the 23 plus 80 minute man Ryan in the row would surely allow us to keep the pressure on for the 80.

I would like to see:

Kearney
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw...but I gather he is out so, Aki (but can't pass)
Stockdale
Sexton
Murray (better but still needs to come off after 60 as that is as far as his body takes him)
Healy
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POM
VDF (if injured SOB on basis that even if Leavy is available he has to play PRO14 first)
Stander (I prefer Conan but Joe has built his systems around CJ too much to be able to do a successful transplant at this stage)

Cronin
Jack
Porter
Beirne
Conan
Cooney
Carberry
Larmour
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

backrower8 wrote:We need to be able to go after the Welsh forwards for 80 minutes and so we need our most destructive scrummagers.

Killer owns that loss against the head more than anyone. The fact that the French sub-tight head was yellow carded owing to scrum infringements against Killer tells us what the referee knows about scrummaging.

Was it deliberate of Joe to pick an all-Munster sub front row? I would say it was a factor. An All-Leinster (bar Best) approach to the two front rows in the 23 plus 80 minute man Ryan in the row would surely allow us to keep the pressure on for the 80.

I would like to see:

Kearney
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw...but I gather he is out so, Aki (but can't pass)
Stockdale
Sexton
Murray (better but still needs to come off after 60 as that is as far as his body takes him)
Healy
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POM
VDF (if injured SOB on basis that even if Leavy is available he has to play PRO14 first)
Stander (I prefer Conan but Joe has built his systems around CJ too much to be able to do a successful transplant at this stage)

Cronin
Jack
Porter
Beirne
Conan
Cooney
Carberry
Larmour

good lineup. agree about kearney versus larmour at FB. The french didn't really test him on sat and despite his sniping along the line and savvy kick through (applauded by johnny) in the first half...we need kearneys experience.
CJ is an animal...he feckin loves the hits and can't get enough of them. I would start him and bring conan on later on. POM seems under par at the moment....why not slip Beirne in there with POM on the bench? he has been playing with the scarlets for a while and knows the boyos quite well. I know he is a lock...but could play flanker as well.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Beirne isn't a good enough blindside to justify throwing him in and we'd be daft to drop POM. Himself and Stander have been playing really well. Beirne either plays in the row, or sits on the bench as a utility forward and I don't see him starting over Hendo or Ryan. Just not happening.

I'd also bring Jordi in at 7 (assuming Josh is out) and leave Conan on the bench.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hate to rain on the parade but Murray wasn't better.
If he starts we'll be in trouble.
So given that Murray will start, how should Joe manage the game.
Wales demonstrated that the strongest part of their game is the aerial kicking game both in attack and defence,
Given that what tactics will Joe use.
Murray kicked hardly at all against the French.
Could Joe go five two on the bench and if so why so and who would be the extra forward
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I was glad to see the reduction in box kicks, but still thought Murray’s passing wasn’t great. That one he fired into the ground that Ringrose knocked-on being the prime example. He looks like he has to wind up before he throws the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Murray’s passing was again poor on Sunday. He had been a world-class player for over two years- but he’s not playing like it now. That’s four matches in a row: long enough to gamble on a return to form. The time has come now to give Cooney his chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

When asked about the Wales Ireland game on BBC at the weekend Jiffy said he was worried about the Wales pack against Ireland because the Irish forwards own the Welsh week in week out in the Pro 14. It would be fair to expect a huge aerial game from Wales, which is right up RK's strasse, his fitness is crucial this week. Our other best aerial back is Adam Byrne...

I'd really like to see the return of Nugget, J Mc G and Porter to the bench and Rhys (if fit) for PoM.

I agree with most others that Henshaw provides guile in the centre that Aki doesn't but he has no game time in the bank so bosh 'em up Bundee it is for me.

Can't wait.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

outcast eddie wrote:When asked about the Wales Ireland game on BBC at the weekend Jiffy said he was worried about the Wales pack against Ireland because the Irish forwards own the Welsh week in week out in the Pro 14. It would be fair to expect a huge aerial game from Wales, which is right up RK's strasse, his fitness is crucial this week. Our other best aerial back is Adam Byrne...

I'd really like to see the return of Nugget, J Mc G and Porter to the bench and Rhys (if fit) for PoM.

I agree with most others that Henshaw provides guile in the centre that Aki doesn't but he has no game time in the bank so bosh 'em up Bundee it is for me.

Can't wait.
was that Scrum V you were watching jiffy? Watched same and he couldn't decide who would win it when asked "way too close to call". can't argue with that.
his point about pro14 is an interesting one, though. shame the same couldn't be said about scottish v english teams despite them getting to the quarters of the HC against some english teams in their pools.

outside chance for us if scotland do us a favour later in the day but I think I would be happy with a great performance from ireland and wales sneak it, winning the championship.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I would be worried about Wales "wanting it" more than us. Also England play after us and will know what they need to do if we beat Wales.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

An extra million quid for 2nd place compared to 3rd might not be enough to get us going. :lol:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Leavy back in the squad, Ross Byrne back with Leinster.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

cormac wrote:Leavy back in the squad, Ross Byrne back with Leinster.
Leavy must be back in just to avoid them forgetting what he looks like and he forgetting the calls...its been that long.

As for Ross Byrne. That had better mean that Joey is readyto play as I would have a real issue of Carty was back-up to J10. I was amazed that he got the slot against France. He hasn't played big high pressure games. He did very well when he came on at 26-0 and also in Italy, but he hasn't had to do what Ross did away to Montpellier or had to do at home to Exeter last season, both in the high pressure environment of the Champions Cup.

I still think Murray was better than the previous 3 matches. Maybe it was an illusion created by the pack's dominance. I just don't see Joe dropping him, not after last week.

The bench is the key as Wales will go all day and night and we need to bring 13 forwards that will own their lot for 80.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:When asked about the Wales Ireland game on BBC at the weekend Jiffy said he was worried about the Wales pack against Ireland because the Irish forwards own the Welsh week in week out in the Pro 14. It would be fair to expect a huge aerial game from Wales, which is right up RK's strasse, his fitness is crucial this week. Our other best aerial back is Adam Byrne...

Can't wait.
was that Scrum V you were watching jiffy? Watched same and he couldn't decide who would win it when asked "way too close to call". can't argue with that.
his point about pro14 is an interesting one, though. shame the same couldn't be said about scottish v english teams despite them getting to the quarters of the HC against some english teams in their pools.

outside chance for us if scotland do us a favour later in the day but I think I would be happy with a great performance from ireland and wales sneak it, winning the championship.
More like a miracle than an outside chance. Scotland have won twice in Twickers since WWII. There is no chance of a 3rd this weekend.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

VDF confirmed out with a groin problem
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Barry wrote:VDF confirmed out with a groin problem
Glad it's his groin, had thought that at the time but Joe said he had "got a bad twist" or something vague like that and I was worried it was his knee.

Jordi straight in at 7 and Conan to stay on the bench for me. Delighted to see Jack play so well, I had doubts about him at that level but he was excellent.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IMO, Dan L is well worth the risk of immediate inclusion. They've had him in Camp for almost 3 weeks and he was close to ready for Italian game but had a glitch. No point in bringing him back in to hold bags at this point. No 7 jersey and have SO'B and Tadgh B on the bench. Dan L should be given instruction to blow the bugles hard for 50 minutes and don't let Navidi / Evans / Tipuric have an easy day.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

Can't wait.

More like a miracle than an outside chance. Scotland have won twice in Twickers since WWII. There is no chance of a 3rd this weekend.
4 draws though. In the 50s 60s 70s and 80s. A draw would be grand
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Talk of playing Leavy in a match of this intensity after 3 months out seems madness. He could blow up in terms of sheer lack of match fitness and realy damage his reoutation which seems to have grown inexorably during this tournament based on last year's 6N and a cameo against Argentina.

Also talk of this match being a 'free hit' for Ireland seems very odd...surely we are building towards the RWC and this game should be seen as a do-or-die game equivalent to the quarter or semi-final of RWC. Probably not winning the 6N is is not the issue to focus on. Performance and getting a result under real pressure is.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

anyone got any recommendations on a place to watch the U20s game on friday in cardiff?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Logorrhea wrote:Beirne isn't a good enough blindside to justify throwing him in and we'd be daft to drop POM. Himself and Stander have been playing really well. Beirne either plays in the row, or sits on the bench as a utility forward and I don't see him starting over Hendo or Ryan. Just not happening.

I'd also bring Jordi in at 7 (assuming Josh is out) and leave Conan on the bench.
POM looks hurt. Watching the France match I was really surprised for how long and how often he drifted entirely out of the game.

He did some things well but we'd benefit from the workrate of Beirne or playing Conan with Stander. Then put POM on the bench. Beirne just came from 2 years in Wales, he knows those boys and he'd be setup for a big one.