6Ns 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: 6Ns 2019

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The big question now is will Jones stick or twist. England had only 40% possession which must happen if you kick everything away. They couldn't break Welsh defensive tackling by forwards and couldn't find grass with their kicks. Farrell said they couldn't get into the game in final 30 minutes. Anscombe was decent but Biggar was excellent in his kicking execution.

England will beat Italy and Scotland. Wales will beat Scotland. If we've a full hand i.e. second-rows and Stander, we can beat Wales with smart rugby, but we've got to be prepared for a tough, tough encounter.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I could see Scotland beating Wales. I'm really not buying into the run that Wales are on, yesterday was their best performance during it and they only really impressed in the last quarter. They stifled England quite well but England messed up a lot of chances too and then shat the bed in the second half by just kicking the ball away and inviting pressure.

Scotland will be desperate to win and Russell will back himself to get outside the Welsh defence. Hard to call right now, will need to see the teams (will Biggar start?) but I don't see it as being a done deal that Wales will win.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, the run is funny. They were muck against France and quite lucky that France handed the game to them. That said they took it. Which Scotland couldn't yesterday when France were doing their best to lose.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

One of the games was that shocker vs a South Africa b side in the US. Arguably the worst game of the year(SA vs Eng 3rd test) and Defo a top 5 all time worst game contender.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I could see Scotland beating Wales. I'm really not buying into the run that Wales are on, yesterday was their best performance during it and they only really impressed in the last quarter. They stifled England quite well but England messed up a lot of chances too and then shat the bed in the second half by just kicking the ball away and inviting pressure.

Scotland will be desperate to win and Russell will back himself to get outside the Welsh defence. Hard to call right now, will need to see the teams (will Biggar start?) but I don't see it as being a done deal that Wales will win.
I'm with you on that. if russell is back I fancy scotland too. Shame about hogg and jones probably being out but I still fancy scotland.

as an aside...Farrell was shown up on saturday...he is "brilliant" when the pack are giving him lots of space and quick ball, but, without that he is clueless and just kicks hoping for the best. he is the same for saracens.
Wales had two weeks to plan for the english and it showed. once the bish/bash/bosh didn't work and then the kicking game wasn't delivering they had nothing else to offer....

England have italy up next....at home. I was impressed with them yesterday. fitness levels are up and they have some nous. Might make things difficult for england...and hopefully stop a BP win.

I have tix for the last game in cardiff so I am sorta hoping wales win in scotland...and scotland have a nice day out in twickenham on the last day...first game up.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Can't see Wales going down to Scotland so close to a Slam.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

England 23 - 4 Changes
15 Elliot Daly 14 Jack Nowell 13 Henry Slade 12 Manu Tuilagi 11 Jonny May 10 Owen Farrell (c) 9 Ben Youngs 1 Ben Moon 2 Jamie George 3 Kyle Sinckler 4 Joe Launchbury 5 George Kruis 6 Mark Wilson 7 Tom Curry 8 Billy Vunipola

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie 17 Ellis Genge 18 Dan Cole 19 Brad Shields 20 Nathan Hughes 21 Ben Spencer 22 George Ford 23 Ben Te’o

France 23 - 6 changes
15. Maxime Medard 14. Damian Penaud 13. Mathieu Bastareaud 12. Wesley Fofana 11. Yoann Huget 10. Romain Ntamack 9. Antoine Dupont 1. Etienne Falgoux 2. Guilhem Guirado 3. Demba Bamba 4. Felix Lambey 5. Paul Willemse 6. Gregory Alldritt 7. Yacouba Camara 8. Louis Picamoles

16. Camille Chat 17. Dany Priso 18. Dorian Aldegheri 19. Paul Gabrillagues 20. Arthur Iturria 21. Baptiste Serin 22. Camille Lopez 23. Thomas Ramos

Italy 23 - 5 changes
15. Jayden Hayward 14. Edoardo Padovani 13. Marco Zanon 12. Luca Morisi 11. Angelo Esposito 10. Tommaso Allan 9. Tito Tebaldi 1. Andrea Lovotti 2. Leonardo Ghiraldini 3. Tiziano Pasquali 4. David Sisi 5. Federico Ruzza 6. Braam Steyn 7. Jake Polledri 8. Sergio Parisse (c)

16. Luca Bigi 17. Cherif Traore 18. Simone Ferrari 19. Alessandro Zanni 20. Sebastian Negri 21. Guglielmo Palazzani 22. Ian McKinley 23. Luca Sperandio

Scotland 23 - 6 changes
15. Sean Maitland 14. Darcy Graham 13. Nick Grigg 12. Sam Johnson 11. Byron McGuigan 10. Finn Russell 9. Ali Price 1. Allan Dell 2. Stuart McInally (c) 3. Willem Nel 4. Ben Toolis 5. Grant Gilchrist 6. Sam Skinner 7. Hamish Watson 8. Magnus Bradbury

16. Fraser Brown 17. Gordon Reid 18. Simon Berghan 19. Jonny Gray 20. Josh Strauss 21. Greig Laidlaw 22. Adam Hastings 23. Chris Harris
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Big fan of the commentator in the Italy game, any chance he could replace Dave McIntyre for the main gig??

Cracking game, quality is questionable but it's just non stop!
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Italians doing everything possible to blow this game.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tingman wrote:Italians doing everything possible to blow this game.
Very successfully too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

If Scotland win this Im going to be very upset....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Sweet Jesus the Sweaties are fighting back
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And they did, but then blew it.

Just remember, they declared they were missing 5 first-choice players and their next competitive match is against us at a neutral venue, now fully sold out. If they play their 2nd half brand of footy, its fairly clear who the neutrals will support!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another gem of a Podcast from the Demented Mole team reviewing the weekend just past and the 6N Season. Also includes a good 20 minute review of the U. 20 Grand Slam victory in Wales.

Overall, another highly insightful review from an Irish rugby perspective. Perfect for a 60-90 minute commute, long walk or good cycle.

https://player.fm/series/the-molecast/molecast-30
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Another gem of a Podcast from the Demented Mole team reviewing the weekend just past and the 6N Season. Also includes a good 20 minute review of the U. 20 Grand Slam victory in Wales.

Overall, another highly insightful review from an Irish rugby perspective. Perfect for a 60-90 minute commute, long walk or good cycle.

Am I the only one this doesn’t play for?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Another gem of a Podcast from the Demented Mole team reviewing the weekend just past and the 6N Season. Also includes a good 20 minute review of the U. 20 Grand Slam victory in Wales.

Try this link:

https://podtail.com/podcast/the-molecast/molecast-30/
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Try this link:

https://podtail.com/podcast/the-molecast/molecast-30/
Thanks - good listen
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Nucifora must now earn his corn by leading the review of the 6N Championship and putting Joe under serious pressure to identify how his systems need to be tweaked and how some sacred cow selections need to be put out to pasture. Best, Sexton, Kearney are all too long in the tooth and at least 2 of the 3 are going to come up short as they age further in the 6 months before RWC. In addition Stander is out of gas and ideas and, I have long said, his style is a cul-de-sac that limits us. Conan would kick on if Joe showed faith in him.

After the ABs match I said we should make Ryan Captain for the 6N in readiness for RWC as I felt Rory is out of time, Sexto is too hot to handle and as regards POM I felt that, like Stander, we need to get away from the highly limiting playing style those two offer in favour of a Leavy, VDF, Conan back row. I know it would be preferable to allow Ryan another two seasons before anointing him, but I really believe that we should have steered the nucleus of the squad towards the Ryan, Henderson, Leavy, Ringrose, Porter, Henshaw, Larmour cohort (mainly early to mid 20s) in advance of the RWC. Joe is hanging on to Dad's Army too long and the tinkering at the edges of the squad wasn't brave enough in the big games, or when our goose was cooked.

Also, the word is that the Carton House camps under Joe have been stale and sterile environments for some time now, years. Not happy campers.

Joe needs to be challenged. That is Nucifora's job. It is also Paul Dean's role to a degree. Remember him? He has been anonymous as Manager and apparently is too deferential to Joe. Deano is Joe's vintage and a former Lion, but he is not delivering. Questions too over Andy Farrell not stepping up to constructively challenge Joe.

Net-net, Il Duce Joe needs his Cappos to show him less respect and get the adjustments we need to get back on the rails.

PS - Did anyone else read Stephen Jones highly encouraging article on Ireland's prospects in the S.Times yesterday? Did anyone else find it surreal and even a litle unnerving to read such praise for Ireland from Jones?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

backrower8 wrote:but I really believe that we should have steered the nucleus of the squad towards the Ryan, Henderson, Leavy, Ringrose, Porter, Henshaw, Larmour cohort (mainly early to mid 20s) in advance of the RWC. Joe is hanging on to Dad's Army too long and the tinkering at the edges of the squad wasn't brave enough in the big games, or when our goose was cooked.
I don't know if that point is really fair, would you not accept certain factors contributed to these players not playing as much as they might?

Henderson has had injuries but is in the 23 when fit.

Leavy has been injured but was in the 23 when fit before that.

Ringrose has had injuries but usually starts when fit.

Henshaw another lost often to injury but usually starts when fit.

Of the other 3

Porter was the replacement tight head until Ryan recently got back in, should he be starting ahead of Furlong? You have another post today in the Leinster addicts questioning Porters scrummaging. He just turned 23 in January and has 14 caps.

Larmour is usually in the 23, he started one match against France and came on as sub in three others. He is 21 and has 13 Irish caps already.

Ryan starts when fit.

If all those lads were fit and not getting picked fair enough but you can't honestly say the majority are getting overlooked, they have been injured. When fit they are always in the shake up.

I think it is really unfair to not acknowledge a player being injured and make out they are left out of a squad, the 6 nations literally finished a week ago we know why these guys were missing, we know because we really missed them.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

backrower8 wrote: Also, the word is that the Carton House camps under Joe have been stale and sterile environments for some time now, years. Not happy campers.

Joe needs to be challenged. That is Nucifora's job. It is also Paul Dean's role to a degree. Remember him? He has been anonymous as Manager and apparently is too deferential to Joe. Deano is Joe's vintage and a former Lion, but he is not delivering. Questions too over Andy Farrell not stepping up to constructively challenge Joe.

Net-net, Il Duce Joe needs his Cappos to show him less respect and get the adjustments we need to get back on the rails.

PS - Did anyone else read Stephen Jones highly encouraging article on Ireland's prospects in the S.Times yesterday? Did anyone else find it surreal and even a litle unnerving to read such praise for Ireland from Jones?
Jaysus if we were good enough to have our best year in living memory with stale and sterlie camps imagine what we could've done with joyous and lively ones eh? There's a suspicious amount of unfounded suppostition and opinions presented as facts in that post.