Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

Post by Dexter »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
So they changed the rules to cater for Racing?
And us in fairness,
How so? We would never play a Euro semi final in the RDS.
Dont Panic!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Dexter wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
So they changed the rules to cater for Racing?
And us in fairness,
How so? We would never play a Euro semi final in the RDS.
Come on .... it’s not great when we play 2 games in the RDS and 2 in the aviva yet we can call the RDS our home and the aviva a neutrral. It makes sense for everyone that we play a semi in the aviva so I’m glad the rules now take away any ambiguity as to wheather it’s fair. In fact I’d say it was changed primarily for us.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We're always played our semis there except for when it was being done up and we used Croke Park.

The rules were there to stop us using the RDS or Donnybrook. Anyone who thinks otherwise misunderstood the letter and intent. There was some grumbling from Scarlets, but they were in the misunderstanding bracket.

For a small few sides, moving is counterproductive. I can think of 2, they are both possible venues this year.

It is nothing at all to do with us.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

ronk wrote:We're always played our semis there except for when it was being done up and we used Croke Park.

The rules were there to stop us using the RDS or Donnybrook. Anyone who thinks otherwise misunderstood the letter and intent. There was some grumbling from Scarlets, but they were in the misunderstanding bracket.

For a small few sides, moving is counterproductive. I can think of 2, they are both possible venues this year.

It is nothing at all to do with us.
Munster were the home team for the 2009 semi in croker
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Is there a case for Ross Byrne to start this game? The three biggest games Sexton has played this year have been Munster, England and Wales and he’s been out of sorts in all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Twist wrote:Is there a case for Ross Byrne to start this game? The three biggest games Sexton has played this year have been Munster, England and Wales and he’s been out of sorts in all of them

I know they can be delusional, but Munster bigger than New Zealand?
I have Bumbleflex
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Twist wrote:Is there a case for Ross Byrne to start this game? The three biggest games Sexton has played this year have been Munster, England and Wales and he’s been out of sorts in all of them

Huh? No way was Munster one of the biggest games he's played this season. Given that we had no hope of winning the tournament today the All Blacks game was probably bigger than Wales as well. As well as a lot of other excellent performances. His average level of performance has still been much better Byrne's this season, and either way I don't think Leinster should be basing their selections based on international form, it's a different ballpark.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It would be like Schmidt basing his Leinster selection on how his players played for Ireland under Kidney.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:It would be like Schmidt basing his Leinster selection on how his players played for Ireland under Kidney.
When has Schmidt ever cared how anyone played for anyone else?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:It would be like Schmidt basing his Leinster selection on how his players played for Ireland under Kidney.
When has Schmidt ever cared how anyone played for anyone else?
Precisely.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I've zero doubt that Sexton will start the Ulster match (assuming fitness) but I'd hope that if he continues to stink up the place we won't wait until the 73rd minute to replace him.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

You could throw Toulouse away in that mix aswell, not a great day either
It might sound crazy but there is a case to be made for RB, scary to say and that’s no dig at RB more a reflection of Sexton
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Gearzbox2 wrote:

You could throw Toulouse away in that mix aswell, not a great day either
It might sound crazy but there is a case to be made for RB, scary to say and that’s no dig at RB more a reflection of Sexton
Don't think Byrne blew the lights off against Toulouse or Wasps either though to be honest. His level of performance hasn't been higher than Sexton this year at all. And Sexton is captain, club legend etc, and anyway performances in green should have no bearing on our selection.
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

I thought Ross Byrne's performance against Toulouse was excellent. He made multiple carries, put in a strong defensive shift and created that memorable and all important game breaking try for Dave Kearney through,yet again, his super accurate boot.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

wise7 wrote:I thought Ross Byrne's performance against Toulouse was excellent. He made multiple carries, put in a strong defensive shift and created that memorable and all important game breaking try for Dave Kearney through,yet again, his super accurate boot.
I thought it was decent but if Sexton played the same game we'd just move on and wouldn't comment on it.
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

But the point is that Sexton wasn't selected to play the Toulouse game and therefore didn't play. The topic being discussed is whether Sexton or Byrne should be selected against Ulster and based on form the more in-form player should be given the start in the interest of the team getting the result needed.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Sextons form for Ireland is irrelevant. Completely different style of play and with a glacial service from his 9 means the defence was constantly in his face.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

leinster23 wrote:
wise7 wrote:I thought Ross Byrne's performance against Toulouse was excellent. He made multiple carries, put in a strong defensive shift and created that memorable and all important game breaking try for Dave Kearney through,yet again, his super accurate boot.
I thought it was decent but if Sexton played the same game we'd just move on and wouldn't comment on it.
Whether or which, if I was to choose between the Ross Byrne, who played in the recent ERCC group game against Toulouse, and the Johnny Sexton, who played in the Pro 12 semi defeat to the Scarlets in the RDS the season before last, I know which I'd pick......