Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Post by Jonny tight lips »

backrower8 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Basically pick Jack against Edinburgh, see how he goes and take it from there....
I want to see Jack bench for Ireland in Cardiff and stick it to the Welsh in the last 20 rather than give them turnovers and penalties courtesy of Killer's inept scrummaging.
Kilcoyne is in the Ireland 23 on merit, I think when he came on Ireland won about eight before we lost one scrum, also he played well around the pitch.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Basically pick Jack against Edinburgh, see how he goes and take it from there....
I want to see Jack bench for Ireland in Cardiff and stick it to the Welsh in the last 20 rather than give them turnovers and penalties courtesy of Killer's inept scrummaging.
Kilcoyne is in the Ireland 23 on merit, I think when he came on Ireland won about eight before we lost one scrum, also he played well around the pitch.
That wasn't because he had done well. That was because the referee already had it in his mind that Ireland were dominant and therefore wasn't looking to penalise us at the scrum in any way shape or form - a ref looking for all illegal play would penalise Kilcoyne all week long.

The fact that we got turned over by a 7 man pack is a huge black mark on the all Munster front row on the pitch at the time.
Anyone But New Zealand
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

With a view to continuity and bringing players up to speed. Hopefully now the players are away from the dross in the Ireland camp they can come back to playing proper rugby with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Would like to see:

1. McGrath
2. Cronin
3. Porter
4. Molony
5. Fardy
6. Deegan
7. Leavy
8. Doris
9. McGrath (if fit)
10. Ross Byrne
11. James Lowe
12. Henshaw (if fit)
13. ROL
14. Fergalicous
15. Larmour
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LEINSTER ARE SET to be boosted by the return to fitness of Luke McGrath and Dan Leavy for Friday night’s Guinness Pro14 trip to Edinburgh, while Joe Tomane is also in line to make his injury comeback at Murrayfield.

McGrath has recovered from the knee injury which sidelined him for the Six Nations while Leavy is desperate for game-time after shaking off a calf issue sustained back in December.

Leavy has not played since the inter-pro win over Connacht at Christmas and was pushing for a return to action for Ireland in the final Six Nations game against Wales, but Joe Schmidt preferred Sean O’Brien in the openside position.

The 24-year-old has played just eight games for club and country during an injury-disrupted season but his availability ahead of Leinster’s Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final against Ulster a week on Saturday is a major fillip for Leo Cullen.

Tomane, meanwhile, has made excellent progress in his comeback from hamstring surgery and the Wallaby winger could make his first appearance in blue since November on Friday night [KO 7.35pm, eir Sport/Premier Sport].

There was also another positive injury update on Nick McCarthy, the Munster-bound scrum-half, who is back in full training after a foot problem which has kept him out of action since November.

Leinster have already assured themselves of a home semi-final with four regular-season Pro14 games remaining, and will be bidding to maintain their winning momentum in the Scottish capital in round 18.

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-injury-up ... =shortlink
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Excellent news. Leavy is a huge boost for us for the QF.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

My preferred squad for this fixture would be the following:

Forwards [1-8]: J. McGrath, Cronin, Porter, Molony, Fardy, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan;
Backs [9-15]: L. McGrath, R. Byrne, Lowe, Reid, McLoughlin, A. Byrne, Larmour;
Subs [16-23]: E. Byrne, Tracy, Bent, M.Kearney, Doris, O'Sullivan, C. O'Brien, D. Kearney

Tough to leave Ferg out of a matchday squad, but DK is quietly having a very productive season for us – really performing at a high level in terms of metres gained/carry, defenders beaten/carry and clean breaks/carry.

I think James Lowe is going to miss out against Ulster ... just can't see Dev being back in time, which means Fardy is a definite starter, and we are really deep at winger [Larmour, Adam Byrne, DK, Ferg, Tomane] compared to scrum-half.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

hugonaut wrote:My preferred squad for this fixture would be the following:

Forwards [1-8]: J. McGrath, Cronin, Porter, Molony, Fardy, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan;
Backs [9-15]: L. McGrath, R. Byrne, Lowe, Reid, McLoughlin, A. Byrne, Larmour;
Subs [16-23]: E. Byrne, Tracy, Bent, M.Kearney, Doris, O'Sullivan, C. O'Brien, D. Kearney

Tough to leave Ferg out of a matchday squad, but DK is quietly having a very productive season for us – really performing at a high level in terms of metres gained/carry, defenders beaten/carry and clean breaks/carry.

I think James Lowe is going to miss out against Ulster ... just can't see Dev being back in time, which means Fardy is a definite starter, and we are really deep at winger [Larmour, Adam Byrne, DK, Ferg, Tomane] compared to scrum-half.
Woul like to see Tomane at 12 for this and Mc Carthy on the bench
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I'd rather lose my eyes than see Tomane at 12.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote:I'd rather lose my eyes than see Tomane at 12.
Unless something fundamental has changed in the way he plays the game I'd agree, he's shown nothing to suggest he adds significant value to Leinster since he arrived. Which is a shame given that Henshaw is so injury prone, we could use a world class option at 12.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He's started there twice for us. Lets leave the torches with the pitchforks for a little longer
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster have at least three better 12's than him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster have at least three better 12's than him.
Okay, name the four number 12s that are available for Friday night that are better than the Australian International signed by Leinster's most successful coaching team.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

he was an australian international on the wing.

two superior 12's available on friday in Noel Reid and Conor O'Brien.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

To be fair he's been unlucky with injury and hasn't had much game time. However, before we signed him I wondered was a he a Leinster player and from what I've seen thus far I haven't seen any evidence that he is. On the wing I'd take Lowe, Larmour, Dave, Ferg or Adam over him currently. Our best centres are Henshaw, Ringrose, O'Brien, Reid and ROL currently with Larmour able to slot in if needs be. I'd prefer to have a Jimmy Gopperth type player as an option personally. Anyway, as you say, let's see what he's got but I'd be very surprised to see him line out against Ulster.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:he was an australian international on the wing.

:happy clapper:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Flash Gordon wrote:To be fair he's been unlucky with injury and hasn't had much game time. However, before we signed him I wondered was a he a Leinster player and from what I've seen thus far I haven't seen any evidence that he is. On the wing I'd take Lowe, Larmour, Dave, Ferg or Adam over him currently. Our best centres are Henshaw, Ringrose, O'Brien, Reid and ROL currently with Larmour able to slot in if needs be. I'd prefer to have a Jimmy Gopperth type player as an option personally. Anyway, as you say, let's see what he's got but I'd be very surprised to see him line out against Ulster.
+1
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.

For Edinburgh, I think they need to pick as many as are available of the ones they plan to play against Ulster to try to get some semblance of rhythm going into the game. Whoever they have down to start at 12 against Ulster should start in that position in this game imo.

And ROL. I think he's more suited to inside centre than outside centre personally.

I'd feel more comfortable with McFadden at 12 than Tomane as well.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.
Good point, I forgot about Barry Daly entirely there. We are really, really deep at wing!
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

leinsterforever wrote:I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.

For Edinburgh, I think they need to pick as many as are available of the ones they plan to play against Ulster to try to get some semblance of rhythm going into the game. Whoever they have down to start at 12 against Ulster should start in that position in this game imo.

And ROL. I think he's more suited to inside centre than outside centre personally.

I'd feel more comfortable with McFadden at 12 than Tomane as well.
Have to agree with this.....has impressed this season when playing....love to see him get a consistent run.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

ROL should be our top 12 when Henshaw's out. He's been consistently excellent there when called on in big games despite not having any other real experience there. Against Toulouse and Bath this year and the Pro14 knockouts last year, he deserves to be second choice. With that in mind I'd play him there this week and I'd put Larmour on the left wing as well. I'm guessing we won't have anyone who started against Wales so I'd hope for something like McGrath, Cronin, Porter, Molony, Kearney, Ruddock, Leavy/Penny/SOB, Conan/Deegan (deserves a game at 8), JGP, Byrne, Larmour, ROL, O'Brien, Adam Byrne, Daly and Tracy, Ed Byrne, Abdaladze, Dunne, A backrow, Hopefully Luke McGrath, Reid, Lowe