Schools Rugby 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Schools Rugby 2018-19

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote:
Would be delighted but doubt that 6/7 will come from one school in next two years.
Why?

Ronan Kelleher, Jack Kelly, Oisin Dowling, Harry Byrne, Scott Penny, Jack Dunne, Ryan Baird were all on the same SCT team.

Jack Boyle, Lee Barron, Jack Guinane, Will Hickey, Chris Cosgrave & Andrew Smith could all quite easily make the academy.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Gonzaga College 10 St Michael’s College 22
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
Would be delighted but doubt that 6/7 will come from one school in next two years.
Why?

Ronan Kelleher, Jack Kelly, Oisin Dowling, Harry Byrne, Scott Penny, Jack Dunne, Ryan Baird were all on the same SCT team.

Jack Boyle, Lee Barron, Jack Guinane, Will Hickey, Chris Cosgrave & Andrew Smith could all quite easily make the academy.
Oh it is statistically possible alright. I just don't see this crop to be quite as talented. Feels more like 3. Nothing shabby about that either. None are to my mind are highly likely to get there either. Time will tell.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

you are nothing if not not consistent in trying to down play the talent of this team. :lol:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:you are nothing if not not consistent in trying to down play the talent of this team. :lol:
You are my match in terms of effort.

I am not downplaying the team's talent. I think they are very talented, just not as talented as last year's crop but they are better set mentally, more grounded and focused, less cocky. I think a number of them will get to the Academy, just not as many as you think will. I see them as favourites to win the SCT - but only if they turn up fully focused as Zaga will definitely do that.

I believe Rock are more fancied in the JCT, but Michael's could beat them. I note that the points (2 tries) they let in today were the first they have leaked in the campaign.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hard not to rate the 1st Michaels SCT side to defeat both Blackrock and Belvedere, with a majority of the starters(9) being 5th years, 3 of whom started last season as 4th years.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Who doesn’t ‘rate’ them? I certainly do, but I rate the 2018 side higher in all aspects bar their game management due to too much self belief. They had more power and skill as a 6th yr dominated side.

They played and beat Rock comprehensively in Rock in the season ‘friendly’ and were hammering Belvedere 19-3 in the semi with 10 minutes to go before pushing the self-destruct button. One of Belvo’s scores was actually dropped over the line. I believe that side would have taken Rock in the final.

I say all that even though I know many more of the 2019 team who will make an even more exciting 2020 team. But they have to win their last match of the season first.

Let’s just agree to differ eh?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Yeah fair enough.

On the JCT match-up, Michaels defeated Blackrock well earlier in the season but unclear how much sides have changed since then.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Yeah fair enough.

On the JCT match-up, Michaels defeated Blackrock well earlier in the season but unclear how much sides have changed since then.
Rock are masters at getting the very best out of the group at JCT. Back in the day I was on a JCT team that put 30 points in Rock in Rock at JCT and they won the cup. Recently their 2017 side was walloped in the friendly by the Michael’s dream team JCT yet they managed to draw the first final.

Rock’s JCT record this Century is 12 wins in 13 finals!! This crop have beaten both Belvo and Nure and scored over 120 points in the process. #1ScoreFavourites
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Rock probably are favourites given Michaels record versus Rock.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Rock probably are favourites given Michaels record versus Rock.
I see what you did there :lol:

As you know, the same could be said of every school. At JCT level, only Michael’s have beaten them in a final since the turn of this century. Since 2000 it’s 5 finals to 1 to Rock. At least we are making the finals. Michael’s and Rock have doninated the last 20 making 11 & 14 respectively.

At SCT, in the last 50 years, Rock have won 16 and lost 7 finals. Only 4 schools have beaten them in that period and just Terenure (3 times) & Belvo (twice) have beaten them more than once in that period, with Belvo (twice) & Nure (once) the only ones to do it this century. Having similar pupil numbers has a lot to do with that. Newbridge & De La Salle were the only others to manage it over the 50 years. Michael’s have lost two finals against them.

So Michael’s are doing ok and have actually won 3 out of the last 4 fixtures against Rock in the last 3 seasons.

…oh, did I take the bait?! :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Calling a 2 try win for Michaels on Sunday.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Gonzaga Terenure game posted online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDerMyUDpSY
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The teams below are courtesy of Mildlyinterested, as posted on another thread:

SCT lineups

Gonzaga College

15. Conor Hennessy
14. Fergus Ó hOisín
13. Frank O’Grady
12. Karl Morgan
11. Brian Barron
10. Harry Colbert
9. Jack Connolly(Leinster u19)
1. Henry Godson
2. Hugo Fitzgerald
3. Ronan Shaw
4. Liam Tyrell
5. Jack Coolican
6. Colm Kirby Ó Briain
7. Tom Cullen
8. Jack Barry CAPTAIN(Leinster u18)
16. Luke Hammond
17. George Kenny
18. Sean Grimley
19. Oscar Rogers
20. Arthur Henry(Leinster u18)
21. Max Colgan
22. JJ Walsh
23. Simon Wilson

St Michael’s College

15. Andrew Smith (Leinster u19)
14. Eddie Kelly(Leinster u18)
13. Chris Cosgrave(Leinster u18)
12. Simon O’Kelly(Leinster u18)
11. Mark O’Brien(Leinster u19)
10. Niall Carroll(Leinster u18)
9. Robert Gilsenan(Leinster u18)
1. Jack Boyle(Leinster u18)
2. Lee Barron(Leinster u18)
3. Fionn Finlay(Leinster u19)
4. Stephen Woods
5. John Fish(Leinster u18)
6. Jack Guinane(Leinster u18)
7. Mark Hernan CAPTAIN
8. Will Hickey(Leinster u18)
16. Joey Boland
17. Ben Victory
18. James Power
19. Luke Fehily
20. Conor Booth
21. Jeffrey Woods
22. Hugo McWade
23. Rohan van der Akker
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

They were underdogs and didn't win the match, but the Gonzaga support, (filling the North Stand and the boys and past pupils chanting across the pitch from Grandstand to Anglesea and back; before, during and particularly after the match) was a credit to the supporters and team.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

was a good game, michaels kept it tighter than maybe it was expected, but that's been the case all cup.

Possible XV next season:

1. Jack Boyle
2. Lee Barron
3. James Power
4. Stephen Woods
6. Jack Guinane
8. Will Hickey
10. Niall Carroll
12. Simon O'Kelly
13. Chris Crosgrave
15. Ed Kelly
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Schools team of the cup

1. Jack Boyle(St. Michaels)
2. Lee Barron(St. Michaels)
3. Ronan Shaw(Gonzaga)
4. Jack Coolican(Gonzaga)
5. Alex Soroka(Belvedere)
6. Jack Guinane(St. Michaels)
7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels)
8. Jack Barry (Gonzaga)
9. Jack Connolly(Gonzaga)
10. Justin Leonard(Belvedere)
11. Mark O'Brien(St. Michaels)
12. Karl Morgan(Gonzaga)
13. Chris Cosgrave(St. Michaels)
14. Ed Kelly(St. Michaels)
15. Andrew Smith(St. Michaels)
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster Schools team of the cup

1. Jack Boyle(St. Michaels) - 5th
2. Lee Barron(St. Michaels) - 5th
3. Ronan Shaw(Gonzaga) - 5th
5. Alex Soroka(Belvedere) Yr??
6. Jack Guinane(St. Michaels) - 5th
8. Jack Barry (Gonzaga)
10. Justin Leonard(Belvedere) - 5th
12. Karl Morgan(Gonzaga)
13. Chris Cosgrave(St. Michaels) - 5th
14. Ed Kelly(St. Michaels) - 5th
I think Hickey at 8 and Gilsenan at 9 eclipsed all-comers in their positions, especially in the final, where Hickey was my MOTM.

Rock's Comerford at 11 and Belvedere's 3 & 12 for me also.

Concensus amongst Michael's community on Sunday night was that the 2018 team was more talented but 2019 delivered through impproved mental approach, coaches and players, especially as regards discipline. Special mention for Messrs. Lee Barron, Fish & Collican who all played on with shoulder injuries for most of the game and for try-scorer Coolican who had been sick in the week of the final.

Gonzaga left a few scores out on the pitch last Sunday and the talk in the Michael's camp was of relief that Zaga hadn't kicked more in the 2nd half.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster Schools team of the cup

1. Jack Boyle(St. Michaels) - 5th
2. Lee Barron(St. Michaels) - 5th
3. Ronan Shaw(Gonzaga) - 5th
5. Alex Soroka(Belvedere) Yr??
6. Jack Guinane(St. Michaels) - 5th
8. Jack Barry (Gonzaga)
10. Justin Leonard(Belvedere) - 5th
12. Karl Morgan(Gonzaga)
13. Chris Cosgrave(St. Michaels) - 5th
14. Ed Kelly(St. Michaels) - 5th
I think Hickey at 8 and Gilsenan at 9 eclipsed all-comers in their positions, especially in the final, where Hickey was my MOTM.

Rock's Comerford at 11 and Belvedere's 3 & 12 for me also.

Concensus amongst Michael's community on Sunday night was that the 2018 team was more talented but 2019 delivered through impproved mental approach, coaches and players, especially as regards discipline. Special mention for Messrs. Lee Barron, Fish & Collican who all played on with shoulder injuries for most of the game and for try-scorer Coolican who had been sick in the week of the final.

Gonzaga left a few scores out on the pitch last Sunday and the talk in the Michael's camp was of relief that Zaga hadn't kicked more in the 2nd half.
Maybe yeah, was trying to balance out the michaels influence a bit.

hopefully injury doesn't prevent Barron etc. from Ireland u18 rep
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:hopefully injury doesn't prevent Barron etc. from Ireland u18 rep
Having had a full, unhindered playing career following early shoulder surgery (I severed all my shoulder ligaments when a JCT player), my tuppence-worth to both him and his dad on Sunday evening was to be prepared to sacrifice Irish schools in favour of doing whatever is prescribed by the medics. He has next season to gain schools caps, a possible career in the pro ranks and, most importantly, a life to lead after rugby. Surprisingly tall for a hooker, I'd say about 6' 2"...but as per the genes.