Leinster v Benetton Sat 6 Apr KO 19:45 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Benetton Sat 6 Apr KO 19:45 TG4

Post by wixfjord »

Poor tackling there to let that in after some great defensive stuff.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

We have an incredibly good defence, but we have zero poaching ability. There’s no way this team would put 20+ phases multiple times on Munster for example. Cost us the game in the end.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Serb wrote:We have an incredibly good defence, but we have zero poaching ability. There’s no way this team would put 20+ phases multiple times on Munster for example. Cost us the game in the end.
It's more that our defensive style is to generally not compete much at the ruck, and instead to fan out, get 13 or 14 guys in the defensive line, and trust our defence.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Treviso deserved that I must say.

Good second half from us against a good side with most of their first stringers who needed the win.

Deegan was my MOTM. Thought Doris and Jack Dunne were really good too. Ed Byrne had a good impact.

COB had another good outing and Daly was much better in second half.

Lowe has a bit to go before he hits top form. Needs a start next week.

Tomane was good. Delighted for him. We simplified the game for him and he did what was needed. Hopefully he can kick on.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Not an amazing performance by any means but a some good individual displays.

Deegan was excellent again, he's really hitting form at the right time. Penny made 26 tackles, won a key turnover in the 22 and was always involved, despite a few iffy moments. Easy to forget he's only 19. Jack Dunne was really impressive of the bench. I though Luke McGrath and Tomane were both really good as well.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote:Treviso deserved that I must say.

Good second half from us against a good side with most of their first stringers who needed the win.

Deegan was my MOTM. Thought Doris and Jack Dunne were really good too. Ed Byrne had a good impact.

COB had another good outing and Daly was much better in second half.

Lowe has a bit to go before he hits top form. Needs a start next week.

Tomane was good. Delighted for him. We simplified the game for him and he did what was needed. Hopefully he can kick on.
Tomane, yeah, no fup ups. It's a start.
Deegan, wash yer mouth out with a bar of soap young man. :lol:
Benetton deserved at least a draw, they are a good team. Hope they grab that 2nd spot.
Can someone explain to me what was Nigel's logic in the build up to our 3rd try?
Stephen Ferris working for Irish Language Television, look how far we've come.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Much improved second half and we actually defended well. Their last try was a bit luck the way a couple of our defenders bashed into each other. Questionable decision from Nigel not to penalise one of their guys taking out James Lowe - surely whether Lowe would have been able to effect the tackle before the line is not the point? Blocking is blocking.

Jack Dunne was excellent off the bench, and Deegan and Penny had big games again. Deegan, Doris and Penny has a 'back row of the future' look to it. Frawley wasn't perfect by any means but showed some good touches and will only benefit from more exposure at 10. Tomane had his best game in blue and COB was good again. Lowe, despite the try, was a bit off. He was probably the worst of our back three, I was reasonably happy with Daly and McFadden. If they intend to play Lowe against Toulouse he needs a bit more game time next week to sharpen up.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

blockhead wrote: Deegan, wash yer mouth out with a bar of soap young man.
What's that about? Deegan was really good tonight.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Serb wrote:I have no idea why that penalty was not reversed. I don’t follow the logic. McFadden infringed first, then he was neck rolled, surely Leinster committed the first offence?

Anyway, has potentially won us the game, so I’m not complaining.
Nigel Owens has his own rulebook. Some bizarre decisions, most of which were in favour of Leinster, but if he keeps this up someone could get hurt. It's strange because 5 or 10 years ago he was the best in the business.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Anyone know if Tomane has a history of shoulder issues?.....he seems to avoid shoulder contact in the tackle.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought a draw was a fair result, thought Benetton were pretty good but just lacked a bit of star quality.

We had a lot of sloppy turnovers and missed a fair few first up tackles. Some good individual performances but I think every player made a couple of errors.

Daly ran well but didn't look like a fullback. Agree about Lowe needing games but he did a lot of good things, his finish was excellent.

Tomane looked much much better at 13. Not sure why himself and COB didn't just play with the right numbers on their back but the extra time and freedom to roam that Tomane had suited him much better, and there was less pressure on his handling for the moves. COB was a little quiet by his recent standards but his hands for the last try were brilliant.

Thought Deegan was very good again, probably would have been my MOTM. I wasn't as impressed with Doris, thought he was a bit quiet and the penalty he gave away wasn't great, although maybe it was a harsh call? I felt like he did roll into a bad position but wasn't actually in the way.

Benetton are a seriously tough unit up front and the finish at the end was excellent. They impress me every time I see them and hope they keep it up.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote:
blockhead wrote: Deegan, wash yer mouth out with a bar of soap young man.
What's that about? Deegan was really good tonight.
F-bombed at the start of the MOTM interview.
Just as well it was in a foreign language.
Ferris didn't flinch #Pro
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

As anyone present at the game will confirm Benneton are an inctredibly physical team, probably the strongest in the league.

Given the mixum matchum team we selected and the Treviso display, a draw was a fair result. The last minute TMO call was only because Fardy protested so hard but there was no significant obstruction.

Frawley's try was magnificent in conception and execution. We probably have acouple of out-halves who could not have taken that try.

Very injoyable game but bloody cold.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Serb wrote:I have no idea why that penalty was not reversed. I don’t follow the logic. McFadden infringed first, then he was neck rolled, surely Leinster committed the first offence?

Anyway, has potentially won us the game, so I’m not complaining.
In the run of play first penalty to Treviso for McFadden making contact with head, second penalty neck roll on McFadden. So the decision goes with the last foul committed. It is a strange sort of rule because the game should really be blown up after the first penalty so the second one would never happen. It is a bit of an anomaly for me. When it works in your favor as it did tonight it’s great but it would piss you off when it goes against you. Just ask Edinburgh fans!

Anyway, thought the second half performance was a lot more fluid then the first half. The backrow got through a lot of work with and without the ball. Luke got another game. Tomane had a good game and his little chip through for Luke would have been a score for any player an inch or two higher, was happy for him that he played well. Thought the back three looked lively and dangerous, a few errors but on the whole pretty decent. Ferg got his Legend Teeshirt, the previously mentioned ruck he countered for no other reason then he is Ferg is why we all love him so much. Congrats to him on the honour.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Great to see Tomane coming good despite all the naysayers.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Tight game against Ulster and not winning against Treviso and Edinburgh have left a clear template for beating us. Starve us of possession, hammer away in tight through many phases and good linespeed in defence.

It's easier said than done but it's a workable plan and a solid French team like Toulouse will be all over it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Thought Reid had a good game at 10 when he was on. Really mixed up the game, attacked the line well and brought others in.

He's definitely a live option at 10 now behind Byrne.

Frawley did well enough too, nice try and some huge hits. Needs to take a bit of zip off that pass though!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The offside line was policed at the usual Nigel level, very frustrating. Thought Frawley came through well and Dunne looked excellent. As RTB said above, not a bad performance from a flung-together team.

There's an extremely harsh report in today's online IT by J Watterson, I urge everyone to avoid it.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is that the longest unbeaten run ever in the rds?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:Is that the longest unbeaten run ever in the rds?
Not by a long shot John. Last night was game 12 in the current run and is the 4th longest run we’ve had

26 - April 27th 2013 to February 15th 2015 (Dragons - P12)
20 - November 27th 2015 to May 19th 2017 (Scarlets - P12)
14 - September 11th 2010 to September 9th 2011 (Glasgow - P12)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever