Brexit

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Brexit

Post by ronk »

As if Brexit wasn't exasperating enough...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

No surprises so far, really don't know why RTE did an extended news bulletin yesterday.
The vote was a foregone conclusion.
You could see the resignation in May's body language as Jean Claude lectured her about second chances.
That kind of carry-on is only going to get up the noses of the very people he's trying to persuade.
Then again maybe, like Jeremy, he's a closet brexiteer himself.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

domhnallj wrote:Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:
The only thing Parliament can agree on is that they don't want this Brexit and they don't want no deal Brexit. There's no other majority for any one idea. I can see this getting extended repeatedly.
Anyone But New Zealand
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

FLIP wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:
The only thing Parliament can agree on is that they don't want this Brexit and they don't want no deal Brexit. There's no other majority for any one idea. I can see this getting extended repeatedly.
I suspect that once May's deal tanks next week the options will be subjected to a vote (no deal, Norway style, another form of customs union with single market, referendum and up to revoke A50)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

domhnallj wrote:
FLIP wrote:
I suspect that once May's deal tanks next week the options will be subjected to a vote (no deal, Norway style, another form of customs union with single market, referendum and up to revoke A50)
May's deal will not reappear this week as it has had 2 chances and nothing has changed so it cant go to vote again.
They never had a plan from the start and it is just hitting reality now with some of them.
Revoke Article 50 and another referendum when they actually produce a feasible plan.
I don't expect a feasible plan ever to be formulated though.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Where the fc#k is Sir Humphrey when you really need him?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Where the fc#k is Sir Humphrey when you really need him?
Netflix I think.

If he was around today he’d “taking back control” as fast as he could of every less than scalding pototo.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Thomas Cromwell would deliver Brexit on a plate.

Lots of heads in baskets too of course but he's exactly what the executive want. He knew how to make parliament do what he wanted for tyrants to be happy.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Surely the Labour Party cannot allow the DUP to screw the future of GB & NI by ensuring a No Deal exit?

The Government has failed to find an agreed solution. It now looks like Parliament cannot find an agreeable solution. Logically, the only democratic alternative is to ask the people, Leave with No Deal or accept the May Deal.

Labour has the capacity to be the deal-maker.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Surely the Labour Party cannot allow the DUP to screw the future of GB & NI by ensuring a No Deal exit?

The Government has failed to find an agreed solution. It now looks like Parliament cannot find an agreeable solution. Logically, the only democratic alternative is to ask the people, Leave with No Deal or accept the May Deal.

As I understand it, there will be a further round of indicative votes on Monday. Presumably some of the weaker performing motions from last night will get the elbow, and between now and then arms can be twisted etc etc. Not to mention the Tories are attempting to bring back the WA for another shot.

If there is to be another referendum, I and millions of others living this sh!t-show want an option to remain.

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Surely the Labour Party cannot allow the DUP to screw the future of GB & NI by ensuring a No Deal exit?

Flaw in that logic is that Corbyn (and his advisors) really don't mind a Brexit. What they really want is an election after the Tories implement it. They are just focussed on becoming prime minister - hence, even now, those close to Corbyn are still banging on about the only way out is to have an election - which really doesn't address the problem
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

This clip from today's proceedings in the House of Commons (while a bewildered public watch in bemusement) says it all.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheNfmrj89k
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

May isnt offering anything by saying she will leave if the deal passes. The knife is waiting for a better moment for whoever takes over.

She would get better traction by threatening to force the issue before the deal passes. Labour might want a general election but they want to clean the mess not own it. Their chances are weakest now but will strengthen with more chaos.

Win or lose for the Torys the DUP would almost certainly be out of the picture. Tory's are splitting, but once Brexit is locked in/out they can regroup.

You dont get leverage by threatening to give people what they actually want.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ronk wrote:May isnt offering anything by saying she will leave if the deal passes. The knife is waiting for a better moment for whoever takes over.

She would get better traction by threatening to force the issue before the deal passes. Labour might want a general election but they want to clean the mess not own it. Their chances are weakest now but will strengthen with more chaos.

Win or lose for the Torys the DUP would almost certainly be out of the picture. Tory's are splitting, but once Brexit is locked in/out they can regroup.

You dont get leverage by threatening to give people what they actually want.
It is also a problem for both main parties that if an election was called now, neither would be in a position to publish a manifesto which had a position on Brexit that wouldn't split their party. In any event, a leadership contest is likely to cause a split in the Conservative party. Not actively attempting to stop Brexit could do the same in Labour.

No matter what happens, the effects will rumble on for a long time
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Still hoping for a large dose of humble pie from government and withdrawal of article 50
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.
I know what you did last summer is already bad enough with the Euro election. Then we will have Nightmare on Downing Street. I'm not sure whether it'll be Candyman or Hellraiser and after than Halloween.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
Oldschool wrote:This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.
I know what you did last summer is already bad enough with the Euro election. Then we will have Nightmare on Downing Street. I'm not sure whether it'll be Candyman or Hellraiser and after than Halloween.
Most franchises have more than one sequel or spin off.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Oldschool wrote:
ronk wrote:
Most franchises have more than one sequel or spin off.

And they get to call it something like "Guido Fawkes revenge - Parliament destroys Itself"