Dan Leavy

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leavy had his first surgery done today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwrRqfol1i8 ... hare_sheet
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Dan Leavy

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Despite Wexford bohs claims of otherwise...

Initially I was suprised it took so long but frequently you need a few weeks minimum for the swelling to go down. Josh was the same last year apparently.

Poor fella. Horrible injury to sustain and wish him the best in his rehab
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

I second that - I wish him all the best
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Great to see him in such high spirits in that photo.
wexford bohs
Beginner

Post by wexford bohs »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Despite Wexford bohs claims of otherwise...

Initially I was suprised it took so long but frequently you need a few weeks minimum for the swelling to go down. Josh was the same last year apparently.

Without going into details his injury was so bad he actually did more damage to other parts of his leg, not just his knee. That's what my original post referred to. It is good to see him in good spirits. Hopefully he's able to make it back for some stage next season
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wexford bohs wrote:

Without going into details his injury was so bad he actually did more damage to other parts of his leg, not just his knee. That's what my original post referred to. It is good to see him in good spirits. Hopefully he's able to make it back for some stage next season
You said he had already had two operations and wasn't at the game though?!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

JVDF was on the late late around the time of his injury.
He also said that apart from the swelling issue he had to spend time building up (or toning, not sure) muscle in preparation for the op. This apparently helps with the post op. recovery.
Not having any medical background I don't know exactly what the thinking is but it would be interesting to hear in a general way (as opposed to Leavy specifically)how that works.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:

JVDF was on the late late around the time of his injury.
He also said that apart from the swelling issue he had to spend time building up (or toning, not sure) muscle in preparation for the op. This apparently helps with the post op. recovery.
Not having any medical background I don't know exactly what the thinking is but it would be interesting to hear in a general way (as opposed to Leavy specifically)how that works.
Yep when I did my ACL I had to build the muscles up before the op as they waste away really quickly once the ligament is torn.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I heard that the operation was done in London and that the earliest they think he will be back, if he does, is September of 2020. That’s through the Michael’s channel, someone close to the Leavy Family. Fingers crossed.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Laighin Break wrote:
Oldschool wrote: JVDF was on the late late around the time of his injury.
Yep when I did my ACL I had to build the muscles up before the op as they waste away really quickly once the ligament is torn.
Same for me. Prehab is what my physio called it. Thankfully I did it well enough that my post op recovery was pretty quick.
Four Stars
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

backrower8 wrote:I heard that the operation was done in London and that the earliest they think he will be back, if he does, is September of 2020. That’s through the Michael’s channel, someone close to the Leavy Family. Fingers crossed.
That would actually sound reasonable compared to other players who have had knee reconstruction, coming back too soon can also lead to hamstring injuries so when you have waited over 12 months another month or 2 is well worth the wait.
roarlad
Learner

Post by roarlad »

Rumors swirling today that Dan was seen in the gym doing leg curls.. :shock: :shock:
whether I believe it or not is another question... :? :roll:

either way, fingers crossed his quality of life is improving.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

roarlad wrote:Rumors swirling today that Dan was seen in the gym doing leg curls.. :shock: :shock:

I hate this thread.
I approach this thread with great trepidation.
Opening each new post with fingers and toes crossed.
I hope but I fear the worst.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

2 month post op with total availability to rehab, that sounds about right.
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

roarlad wrote:Rumors swirling today that Dan was seen in the gym doing leg curls.. :shock: :shock:

Funnily enough my Dad saw him in UCD gym doing leg curls. Though he was doing less than my dad can do on his bad leg, but it's still a start.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Single plane work isn't massively advanced.

It's effectively knee flexion with resistance.

It's the jumping/landing/high force stuff that's hugely more demanding - then changing direction after that.

Neither particularly good or bad sign really.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

You can see leavys knee uncovered with scars and all on rory o'loughlins Instagram story: https://www.instagram.com/rory_oloughlin/
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

Morf wrote:Single plane work isn't massively advanced.

It's the jumping/landing/high force stuff that's hugely more demanding - then changing direction after that.

To basically echo this Leavys injury to put it in its most simplistic form basically doesn't impact forwards and backwards movement just power, up, down, left, right, etc. I think the actual list of injuries he had was posted here but there was also a greatly exaggerated list doing the rounds as well.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Workhorse wrote:

To basically echo this Leavys injury to put it in its most simplistic form basically doesn't impact forwards and backwards movement just power, up, down, left, right, etc. I think the actual list of injuries he had was posted here but there was also a greatly exaggerated list doing the rounds as well.
always get nervous when I see a new post on this thread - no news is usually good news.
can't overstate how much Leinster & Ireland missed him last season - while VDF was brilliant, Leavy has that X factor that was badly lacking in the big games.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Workhorse wrote:

100 percent correct, I did my ACL pre operation days and for years I could walk or run in straight lines, skied using a hinged support to stop sideways movement but frequently just turning round after closing a door would go in a heap on the floor, any non sports person can live normally without it as you do adopt ways round it but hard sideways pressure and almost 40 years later I still go in a heap.