Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by blockhead »

Saracens write off over £45m of debt
Alex Shaw 08 Apr, 8:21
It’s that time of year again when companies file their balance sheets for the previous fiscal year.

Gallagher Premiership financial reports have been particularly interesting reading over the last few seasons, as clubs up and down the country have struggled to match their revenues with the increasing costs of the sport, which have been influenced by the recent increases to the competition’s salary cap. For the fiscal year ending in 2017, only Exeter Chiefs were able to produce a profit.

One of the more interesting returns filed this year has been by Saracens, with the club from north London long characterised by their mounting debt.

According to the results filed by Saracens Limited, which run up to the 30th June 2018, the club have written off just under £48m of debt owed to the parent company of Premier Team Holdings Limited.

They have opted to convert the loans from Premier Team Holdings Limited into equity, with Nigel Wray owning a 99% stake in that company, following the decision of Remgro to sell up their 50% ownership. Premier Team Holdings Limited, in turn, owns an 89.8% stake in Saracens Limited.

With this move coinciding with CVC Capital Partners’ investment in Premiership Rugby, Saracens’ financial records are likely to look a lot more healthy in the seasons to come.

For the year finishing June 30th 2018, Saracens posted an operating loss of £3.8m, an increase of £1.1m from the previous year. Those increased costs have been attributed to restructuring one-offs, as well as extra investment in both the women’s team and the club’s academy. For the three years prior to that, annual losses had been diminishing at the club.

Turnover, meanwhile, was up by roughly £400k, with revenues of just shy of £18m for the year.

Saracens are in line to receive a payment somewhere in the region of £13.5m from the CVC investment, with CVC allowing clubs the opportunity reinvest up to 10% of the proceeds from the overall deal (£200m) into the company TopCo. The thirteen shareholders in PRL will therefore have the opportunity to invest roughly £1.5m apiece into this company which, per Wray’s Chairmen’s Statement, Saracens will be doing.

The club’s £23m redevelopment of the West Stand at Allianz Park, which has been planned and worked on in conjunction with Middlesex University, is set to begin at the end of the 2018/19 season and is slated for completion in 2020, as the club looks to create a more sustainable future for itself.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

UK Times
Mark McCafferty is to leave his role as chief executive of Premiership Rugby at the end of the season. He is not going to go far from the scene, though, because he has a new role as advisor to CVC Capital Partners, the private equity firm which recently bought a 27 per cent share of the Premiership.
#cute hoor!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:UK Times
Mark McCafferty is to leave his role as chief executive of Premiership Rugby at the end of the season. He is not going to go far from the scene, though, because he has a new role as advisor to CVC Capital Partners, the private equity firm which recently bought a 27 per cent share of the Premiership.
#cute hoor!
What a snake. I'd say his deal was similar to what BT offered Premier Rugby to dismantle the erc. Get the deal over the line and we'll look after you.

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Or Ian Ritchies deal when he joined PRL after agreeing a massive deal with RFU after he managed it into the the ground, his “incompetence “ at the rfu was staggering. State of the rfu right now, no bother Ian.....
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

London Irish prepare for next season with announcement of another Irish International Paddy Jackson signing for them.
Playing in the Premiership will highlight his talents to the Irish Coaching Staff.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Aird wrote:London Irish prepare for next season with announcement of another Irish International Paddy Jackson signing for them.
Playing in the Premiership will highlight his talents to the Irish Coaching Staff.
Two sides to that blade

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The Doc wrote:
Aird wrote:London Irish prepare for next season with announcement of another Irish International Paddy Jackson signing for them.
Two sides to that blade

Yeah, they've made huge efforts to position themselves as a family club. There's a fair bit of discomfort with this move amongst their supporters.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Flash Gordon wrote:
The Doc wrote:
Two sides to that blade

Yeah, they've made huge efforts to position themselves as a family club. There's a fair bit of discomfort with this move amongst their supporters.
Seems a lot of people spouting facts on twitter against the usual libelous nonsense.

Good man Paddy, another step closer to home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
The Doc wrote:Two sides to that blade

Seems a lot of people spouting facts on twitter against the usual libelous nonsense.

Good man Paddy, another step closer to home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My point was that having more visibility only works if you play well. I'm not convinced he will look quite so good in the premiership. Either way... I'd be amazed if he plays for Ireland again. Lots of other options now

I'm also not convinced by the signings by LI so far... I suspect they would vote for ringfencing right now

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Waisake Naholo joining L.I. after World Cup. Must be taking some wedge to bankroll all these new signings. All hardly within salary cap?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

You can have 2 x "Marquee players" outside the cap
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

johng wrote:You can have 2 x "Marquee players" outside the cap
So SOB and Naholo. I doubt Kepu would be on a huge wedge and neither would wee Paddy.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

the spoofer wrote:
johng wrote:You can have 2 x "Marquee players" outside the cap
So SOB and Naholo. I doubt Kepu would be on a huge wedge and neither would wee Paddy.
Kepu because of his position perhaps. Paddy is probably on a few jam sandwiches and the odd free flight home.

They have some list of talent coming in.

Sean O'Brien Paddy Jackson Adam Coleman Waisake Naholo Sekope Kepu Nick Phipps Curtis Rona Allan Dell
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

John23 wrote:Waisake Naholo joining L.I. after World Cup. Must be taking some wedge to bankroll all these new signings. All hardly within salary cap?
Staying inside the salary cap in the Premiership seems to be optional :wink:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neill_m wrote:
John23 wrote:Waisake Naholo joining L.I. after World Cup. Must be taking some wedge to bankroll all these new signings. All hardly within salary cap?
Staying inside the salary cap in the Premiership seems to be optional :wink:
Do LI have a sugar daddy?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

JOHNNY MCPHILLIPS off to Leicester. Quite a few Irish 10s in the Prem next season. Jackson, Madser, Reid and McPhillips.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote:JOHNNY MCPHILLIPS off to Leicester. Quite a few Irish 10s in the Prem next season. Jackson, Madser, Reid and McPhillips.

Reid and McPhillips both at Tigers. As is Taute from SA via Munster.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Leicester Tigers for sale, sugar daddy preferable. Sad day.

Leicester Tigers put up for sale with Premiership club open to offers in bid to return to the top of rugby union

http://flip.it/TLQTs8
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Eyes everywhere sigh a breath of relief as Dylan Hartley retires due to injury.
Anyone But New Zealand
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Jaw dropping piece on the bbc...mainly from danny care, the english scrum half. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07t6mvn
He makes a compelling argument to stick them in the championship for the same amount of time they breached the salary cap.
Feel for exeter, who finished top in the league twice but lost in the play off finals to Saracans.