Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Oldschool »

Malcolm O'Kelley on Virgin Media 1 - The Six O'Clock Show.
A great listen.
A great player too.
Fair play to VM1 too.
I wonder are they doing more of the same for the rest of the week?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Have English Sports Teams used up that Nation's supply of Luck and Emotion for this week? Debate
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Have English Sports Teams used up that Nation's supply of Luck and Emotion for this week? Debate
Debate? - Bate into them!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Well done to the green party for not using election posters. Although the local whisperers think this means they have no candidates.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Peg Leg wrote:Well done to the green party for not using election posters. Although the local whisperers think this means they have no candidates.
They did use posters. Personally saw some around Dun Laoghaire. Other half says some are up in City Center.

The candidate on Sundays debate said she thought about it but felt she had to use them.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

IanD wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Well done to the green party for not using election posters. Although the local whisperers think this means they have no candidates.
They did use posters. Personally saw some around Dun Laoghaire. Other half says some are up in City Center.

The candidate on Sundays debate said she thought about it but felt she had to use them.
None out my way, apologies.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I'm in Sweden where they don't seem to have any posters, which is great.
Just have a few areas in the centre (and maybe other places) where the parties have set up stalls to canvas people.

Denmark, on the other hand, is as bad as Ireland. There's one stretch where I pass that has 5 of the the same guy's poster on every lamppost over 1km or so. It would make you not want to vote for him.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Peg Leg wrote:
IanD wrote:

None out my way, apologies.
No need to apologise.

I hate posters. Absolutely hate them. I have told all the canvassers I have spoken to that my first preference is going to the candidate with the least amount of posters all the way down.

FF guys were not impressed.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I think they're a necessary evil particularly for new candidates to get there name out there.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

paddyor wrote:I think they're a necessary evil particularly for new candidates to get there name out there.
The 2 Johnnies had their local councillor on their podcast there this week - seemed like quite the character. He's tried to have motions past twice to ban posters - both unsuccessful.
Probably easier in more rural areas, but his argument for getting your name out there is being active in the community so people already know you before you run for the council, so you shouldn't need to be plastering your face around.

He said he had 50 posters made 10 years ago and still uses them now. He's down to 48 though - 1 was found in Galway after some stag party brought it along :lol:
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

paddyor wrote:I think they're a necessary evil particularly for new candidates to get there name out there.
I've been thinking about this for a few years, and I think that there's a reasonable balance to be had, which will also be fairer to new candidates (who can be eclipsed by the spending power of the established parties).

Each candidate gets an allocation of X posters. Perhaps this could be varied for candidates in constituencies which are more spread out, I'm not sure about that. Each political party will also have an allocation of posters, around 2x, to be used as they wish. They could add them to the pool of a particular candidate, they could have those party leader posters, they could highlight issues from their manifesto (I know, I know, that's crazy talk).

Still have some posters, visibility for newer candidates, extra for established parties without allowing them to smother other runners. I think it could work.

Now I just have to convince some politicians of this.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

TheBear wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a few years, and I think that there's a reasonable balance to be had, which will also be fairer to new candidates (who can be eclipsed by the spending power of the established parties).

Each candidate gets an allocation of X posters. Perhaps this could be varied for candidates in constituencies which are more spread out, I'm not sure about that. Each political party will also have an allocation of posters, around 2x, to be used as they wish. They could add them to the pool of a particular candidate, they could have those party leader posters, they could highlight issues from their manifesto (I know, I know, that's crazy talk).

Still have some posters, visibility for newer candidates, extra for established parties without allowing them to smother other runners. I think it could work.

Which again favours incumbents. It's hardly surprising that many of the people agitating on councils for this are people on councils. Like for example
He said he had 50 posters made 10 years ago and still uses them now
Because he's now well known. If he'd lost 10 years or 5 years ago he'd probably being using more.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

paddyor wrote:
TheBear wrote:

Which again favours incumbents. It's hardly surprising that many of the people agitating on councils for this are people on councils. Like for example
He said he had 50 posters made 10 years ago and still uses them now
Because he's now well known. If he'd lost 10 years or 5 years ago he'd probably being using more.
Incumbents are favoured anyway, and this would at least lessen the ability of the larger parties crushing independents by sheer volume and financial clout.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Talking to a guy closely involved with a candidate a number of years ago and he said they hated posters. He said they are a waste of money time and resources. He said there were reports done for the parties that they did not help candidates/party's at all on a cost basis. He felt that the 'we have done it this way for years' policy presides.

He spoke of a system in France where posters are limited to certain places and numbers. Basically if there are 15 candidates there is 15 sites for posters. Each candidates image shuffles along at each location. If you are in spot A on site 1 you go to spot B on site 2 etc till you are in Spot O at site 15. For larger constituencys area wise you just double/treble the number of sites with the same formula.

Also helps new candidates as they are not overwhelmed by the larger parties lashing posters all over the place.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

IanD wrote:Talking to a guy closely involved with a candidate a number of years ago and he said they hated posters. He said they are a waste of money time and resources. He said there were reports done for the parties that they did not help candidates/party's at all on a cost basis. He felt that the 'we have done it this way for years' policy presides.

He spoke of a system in France where posters are limited to certain places and numbers. Basically if there are 15 candidates there is 15 sites for posters. Each candidates image shuffles along at each location. If you are in spot A on site 1 you go to spot B on site 2 etc till you are in Spot O at site 15. For larger constituencys area wise you just double/treble the number of sites with the same formula.

Also helps new candidates as they are not overwhelmed by the larger parties lashing posters all over the place.
I've seen that. When we were over in Lyon for the Clermont semi-final [April/May '17], the presidential election was on, and we passed a number of noticeboards/billboards around the city showing posters of the five candidates. It seems like a rational system to me.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The fact that we actually have a tradition of who gets to lift the trophy when we win a title. Usually its a twosome, captain and departing ledge, but sometimes it's a very special individual like Seanie or Isa.
We've won so many trophies, as Leinster fans we really are so fortunate.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's a brilliant interview with Hannah Tyrrell on Second Captains. I didn't know her story at all but it's really interesting and she's a really engaging speaker. Really inspirational the way she's overcome some very dark and difficult times, highly recommend it.

I'd like to put this somewhere more prominent but not sure where the best place is really. Although I suppose it only applies to subscribers and they'll probably listen to it anyway.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Victoria Derbyshire! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Oldschool wrote:Victoria Derbyshire! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Par for the course for BBC News Reporters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjH4arIn-80
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:Victoria Derbyshire! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Her immeadiate comments afterwards show what a classless piece of sh!t she is.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!