The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by olaf the fat »

blockhead wrote: And still Munster didn't get a Heino home QF or a Pro14 Home semi this season. They need those to pay off the TP debt.
8 years without a trophy.
As they are going for the same trophies as us - long may it last
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Unconfirmed Munster Academy next season:

TH Prop
Keynan Knox(20/South Africa/Young Munster) - Year 3
Luke Masters(19/CBC Cork/Shannon) - Year 1

LH Prop
James French(20/Bandon Grammar/UCC) - Year 2
Josh Wycherley(20/Bantry Bay RFC-Roscrea/Young Munster) - Year 2

Hooker
Diarmuid Barron(21/Rockwell College/Garryowen) - Year 2
Eoghan Clarke(21/CBC Monkstown/Shannon) - Year 2

Lock
Thomas Ahern(19/Dungarvan RFC-Waterpark RFC/Shannon) - Year 2
Paddy Kelly(19/St. Munchins/Young Munster) - Year 1
Eoin O'Connor(19/Waterpark RFC) - Year 1

Backrow
Jack O'Sullivan(20/PBC Cork/UCC) - Year 3
Jack Daly(21/Castleisland RFC/Garryowen) - Year 2
John Hodnett(20/Clonakilty RFC/UCC) - Year 1
Luke Clohessy(20/Ardscoil Ris/Shannon) - Year 1

Scrumhalf
Jack Stafford(22/Glenstal Abbey/Shannon) - Year 3

Outhalf
Ben Healy(20/Glenstal Abbey/Garryowen) - Year 2
Jake Flannery(20/Rockwell College/Shannon) - Year 1

Outside Backs
Liam Coombes(22/Skibbereen RFC-CBC Cork/Garryowen) - Year 3
Alan Tynan(22/CC Roscrea/Young Munster) - Year 3
Alex McHenry(21/CBC Cork/Cork Con) - Year 3
Sean French(20/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - Year 2
Jonathan Wren(20/PBC Cork/Cork Con) - Year 2
Conor Phillips(20/Crescent College/Young Munster) - Year 1
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The Munster Branch Annual General Meeting took place at Tralee RFC on Wednesday night with club representatives from around the province in attendance.
Mike Keane was elected Munster Rugby President with more details here.

The financial accounts for year ending June 30, 2018 showed a cash-flow deficit of €920K which was in line with the figures forecasted at last year’s AGM.

The current financial projections for year ending 30th June 2019 estimate a similar cash-flow deficit of €995K for the season.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/06/13/ ... 1509635139
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Interesting use of terminology to say "cash-flow deficit" rather than financial loss. I wonder if the latter topped €1m?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:The Munster Branch Annual General Meeting took place at Tralee RFC on Wednesday night with club representatives from around the province in attendance.
Mike Keane was elected Munster Rugby President with more details here.

The financial accounts for year ending June 30, 2018 showed a cash-flow deficit of €920K which was in line with the figures forecasted at last year’s AGM.

The current financial projections for year ending 30th June 2019 estimate a similar cash-flow deficit of €995K for the season.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/06/13/ ... 1509635139
The Cork Examiner mentioned that a home Heino QF would wipe E500,000K off that deficit. I would assume that a home semi Pro14 against an Irish province would bring in something similar. Puts the E1M deficit into context.
And when you think back to how we abdicated against Glasgow in the RDS allowing them to pip our best buds to that home semi....... :shock:
And then compounded it by beating that same Glasgow team over in Glasgow to win another title...we really need to take a good look at ourselves.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Two really strong appointments. Pressure on JVG now to get this group to the next level.
Solid coaching team, a settled squad that has been heavily invested in and some good young guys coming through.
It's now or never really!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

"Senior" coach smacks of them aping Lancaster at Leinster a bit. But I suppose titles aren't all that important really. Wonder how much of what they're doing in possession will be handed over to Larkham. Presumably they'll have to give him almost total control of the attack if they want to see significant changes in how they go about it. There's more to attack than just backplay. The forwards' lack of ability to attack intelligently with handling and footwork has been their biggest failing for years. We hear that Kilcoyne is good in the loose. But he isn't really, or else he'd have some vision to move the ball when it's on.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

cormac wrote:Interesting use of terminology to say "cash-flow deficit" rather than financial loss. I wonder if the latter topped €1m?
You can have a cash-flow deficit without making a financial loss. They're not the same thing. If I have a million quid in the bank and I spend it + 1 quid on a building I have a cash flow deficit as I now have an overdraft of a quid. However the building I bought appreciated and is now worth 2 million + 1 quid. Therefore I have made a profit while still having a cash flow deficit.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

offshorerules wrote:
cormac wrote:Interesting use of terminology to say "cash-flow deficit" rather than financial loss. I wonder if the latter topped €1m?
You can have a cash-flow deficit without making a financial loss. They're not the same thing. If I have a million quid in the bank and I spend it + 1 quid on a building I have a cash flow deficit as I now have an overdraft of a quid. However the building I bought appreciated and is now worth 2 million + 1 quid. Therefore I have made a profit while still having a cash flow deficit.
I'm well aware of the difference, but given the nature of how the cash deficit arose (increased costs and less revenue) it's highly likely that their P&L loss exceeds the cash deficit for the period.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

It’s possible, even probable but by no means highly likely. I was just pointing out the difference.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I wouldn't be concerned about Munsters debt. Professionalism is still fairly new in rugby and Munster had to build up all new infrastructure and still are with the announcement of a new indoor facility during the week. Its setting Munster up for a secure future and will also be good for Irish rugby.

That's not to sat I agree with every decision they took but investing in the future will reap rewards.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote:I wouldn't be concerned about Munsters debt. Professionalism is still fairly new in rugby and Munster had to build up all new infrastructure and still are with the announcement of a new indoor facility during the week. Its setting Munster up for a secure future and will also be good for Irish rugby.

That's not to sat I agree with every decision they took but investing in the future will reap rewards.
If it was a one time deficit due to investment that would be one thing. This is a sustained problem that was supposed to be being addressed.

It’s not like Munster had a bad year on the pitch or in terms of supplemental income. This happened in spite of special assistance from the IRFU. The squad cost element has to be seen in terms of the profligate decision of van Graan to decide not to play the part of the squad that was not in his plans, while still paying them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:Two really strong appointments. Pressure on JVG now to get this group to the next level.
Solid coaching team, a settled squad that has been heavily invested in and some good young guys coming through.
It's now or never really!
Coaches are usually a better investment than players.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Markham is mid career, has high level experience and needed a fresh start. Can be a good formula.

He also strengthens Munster for signing Australians
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

ronk wrote:Markham is mid career, has high level experience and needed a fresh start. Can be a good formula.

He also strengthens Munster for signing Australians
Do you think this will be an official policy moving away from the policy of signing Leinster and South Africans. I for one would be happy with that. :green clap:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I saw a tweet on twitter (where else I suppose) where someone, and I can't remember who it was, said that money spent on good coaches was money well spent. I agree that you can get more return from better coaching that you can from a high profile player, but only if the players become better, more successful players as result of that coaching (and the provincial machinery supports the coaches). Without the return, money spent on on good coaches is just money spent on good coaches. McGahan, Penny, Erasmus, Nienaber, Ferreira, van Graan were/are all good coaches.
I have Bumbleflex
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Could I suspect the cash flow deficit thing is to hide that the interest on the loans isn’t paid again?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ribs wrote:Could I suspect the cash flow deficit thing is to hide that the interest on the loans isn’t paid again?
+1 - hit nail on head.