Champions Cup 2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by Oldschool »

OTT wrote:I think the next thing that needs to be done is that Pro 14 teams from the same country need to be able to draw each other in the group stage. It makes zero sense to me that we can't, why can French and English teams but Pro 14 teams can't.

If you want meritocracy then draws should be that way each tier you have an equal chance of drawing an opponent as the next team. Could you imagine a Christmas double header against Munster, jaysus it would be savage, or Connacht doing one of us at the Sports Ground (preferably Munster or Ulster :lol: ). What was the reasoning behind having the Pro 14 treated differently as the two other leagues? Have those reasons changed? With the change in qualification process from the Pro 14 I think they have.
It was probably done to reduce the likelihood of an Irish team getting to the playoffs given the strength of English and French club rugby.
Well that's the theory anyway.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Oldschool wrote:
OTT wrote:I think the next thing that needs to be done is that Pro 14 teams from the same country need to be able to draw each other in the group stage. It makes zero sense to me that we can't, why can French and English teams but Pro 14 teams can't.

If you want meritocracy then draws should be that way each tier you have an equal chance of drawing an opponent as the next team. Could you imagine a Christmas double header against Munster, jaysus it would be savage, or Connacht doing one of us at the Sports Ground (preferably Munster or Ulster :lol: ). What was the reasoning behind having the Pro 14 treated differently as the two other leagues? Have those reasons changed? With the change in qualification process from the Pro 14 I think they have.
It was probably done to reduce the likelihood of an Irish team getting to the playoffs given the strength of English and French club rugby.
Well that's the theory anyway.
Except could you imagine 5 Glasgow v Edinburgh games in the same season??
It's bad enough if re draw an Irish or Welsh team and have 4 games a season.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Don't think it would add to the competition at all. Back in the days when it was 24 teams and six groups they would keep teams from the same countries apart unless there were seven from either England or France and what we have now is just an extension of that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Surely the rule about teams from same country only comes into effect with the drawing of tier 4? So if Connacht had won the Challenge Cup this year they couldn’t have been the tier 4 option for the other three Irish teams

When the draw of the first three tiers is complete each pool will have one French, one English and one pro 14 team
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Not sure the IRFU would like 2 Irish provinces in the same pool if the rule was changed. What do they reckon a home QF is worth? €500,000?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

They have to pick one league where teams are kept apart using some criteria, otherwise you could get the boring situation of pools being like a mirror mini-league.
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We're guaranteed Lyon or Glos now right?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yep
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We got Lyon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That means we get quins or Saints
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

So already we know

Leinster
Lyon
Quins or Saints

Good stuff.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Very tough one on Munster now.

If we avoid Montpellier I'd be happy with our lot.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ah that's a belter of a draw.

Leinster
Lyon
Saints
Treviso
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sarries in the Pool of Debt
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johng wrote:Sarries in the Pool of Debt
:lol: :clap:
Dont Panic!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:Sarries in the Pool of Debt
Oh I'm definitely stealing that :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

wixfjord wrote:Very tough one on Munster now.

If we avoid Montpellier I'd be happy with our lot.
Yeah, two good teams in their group.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Saracens v Munster. The kind of game where you'd like to see both teams lose.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

cormac wrote:Saracens v Munster. The kind of game where you'd like to see both teams lose.
You're letting your bias get in the way of good judgement.
If Munster managed to knock Saracens out of the competition that would be great for us (abd everyone else).
Even to force them into an away QF is desirable.
Maybe next season will be different.
However Munster aren't their yet.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Good point os. Would love to see Munster give them a bloody nose.