RWC2019 31-man squad

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: RWC2019 31-man squad

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote:I'd like to see Beirne at 6 too, but I don't think he's the answer to overcoming a massive pack like SA or England either. For me Ruddock would be perfect for that. Beirne is great when he's allowed to roam around and carry a bit wider, but like POM you need two other guys who will pick up some of the slack if he does that imo.

I also don't think Beirne is big or powerful enough to start at second row ahead of Dev, Ryan or Hendo btw and I think Joe might agree (which is why I have a sneaking suspicion that Beirne might not even make the plane...).
I'm not sure I agree. He nearly always has double digit tackle figures, strong carries, excellent in the lineout and is bigger, heavier and stronger than O'Mahony. He basically seems to do everything O'Mahony does, but better. He just doesn't have an angry face.

I do agree that he doesn't have the power to play lock at international level, but I think he could well be our best blindside option.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'd like to see Beirne at 6 too, but I don't think he's the answer to overcoming a massive pack like SA or England either. For me Ruddock would be perfect for that. Beirne is great when he's allowed to roam around and carry a bit wider, but like POM you need two other guys who will pick up some of the slack if he does that imo.

I also don't think Beirne is big or powerful enough to start at second row ahead of Dev, Ryan or Hendo btw and I think Joe might agree (which is why I have a sneaking suspicion that Beirne might not even make the plane...).
I'm not sure I agree. He nearly always has double digit tackle figures, strong carries, excellent in the lineout and is bigger, heavier and stronger than O'Mahony. He basically seems to do everything O'Mahony does, but better. He just doesn't have an angry face.

I do agree that he doesn't have the power to play lock at international level, but I think he could well be our best blindside option.
Beirne stats: https://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=TB830937
O'Mahony stats: https://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=PO196534
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

But did he catch a ball ahead of Beauden Barrett last November???
Four Stars
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lar wrote:But did he catch a ball ahead of Beauden Barrett last November???
He "could have done" if he'd been there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:

Good analysis.
Beirne doesn't need to be. He can play 4th choice lock and cover 6. If it comes down to Beirne/Roux starting a quarter final against England we have enough problems anyway.

It's always possible that Ryan, Toner and Hendo all start.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Mike Catt joining us as attack coach after the World Cup. Big fan of him as a player/person but can't say I'm too excited about his appointment.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Mike Catt joining us as attack coach after the World Cup. Big fan of him as a player/person but can't say I'm too excited about his appointment.

I'm happy enough with it. Italy play some good attacking rugby.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Is it true that his wife's name is Ali Catt?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Twist wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I'd really love to see Beirne tried at 6 in the warm ups. It seems like the obvious answer to the England & South Africa power game problem.
I agree, can’t understand why more people aren’t saying this. He’s a old lineout jumper and great on the ground, carries well, avoids contact when it’s an option and can even pass :O

I also think POM can be an effective 7, should we need another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're compromising.
POM isn't powerful enough to play 6 any more.
If we need him to play 7 in a major game then we're fooked.
Did you ever wonder how POM was in a position to make that match winning intercept against NZ in the AI.
It's chicken and egg.
If he'd been doing what a 6 normally does then maybe the interception wouldn't have been required.
We'll never know but the question should still be asked.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The extended squad are in pre season.
Question.
What is the physical state of the players.
If the RWC was to kick off tomorrow, which players would be unavailable for the 31
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

If I had to have a stab at picking the final 31, I'd say it might be:

LH: Healy, McGrath
HK: Best, Scannell, Herring
TH: Furlong, Porter, Ryan
SR: Ryan, Toner, Henderson, Kleyn
BS: O'Mahony
No. 8: Stander, Conan
SH: Murray, Marmion, McGrath
FH: Sexton, Carbery, Carty
C: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw
W: Stockdale, Earls, Conway
FB: Kearney, Larmour

Picks based on Schmidt seemingly not rating Cronin very highly as a scrummager and on him being a bit cool on Beirne and Cooney.

First reserve in each position:

1. Kilcoyne
2. Cronin
3. Bealham
LH lock: Beirne/Dillane
TH lock: Roux
6. Ruddock
7. O'Donnell/Reidy
8. O'Donoghue
9. Cooney
10. Byrne
11. D. Kearney
12. Scannell
13. Farrell
14. A. Byrne
15. Addison

I'd say Ruddock would get the call if any backrower (and not just a blindside) went down. He covers 7, and Murphy could switch to covering 8 if necessary. Similarly, due to his versatility, Addison could get the call even if it wasn't a fullback he was directly replacing.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I would go with:

LH: Healy, Kilcoyne
HK: Best, Scannell, Cronin
SR: Ryan, Toner, Henderson
BS: O'Mahony, Beirne
SH: Murray, Marmion, Cooney
FH: Sexton, Carbery
C: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw, Farrell
leinsterforever
Mullet

Addison being able to cover 13 while nominally being a full back could make him quite an attractive proposition if they take only three centres because they want to squeeze in 6 halves.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm still not convinced that he'll bring 3 SHs and only 2 OHs - he went the opposite way last world cup and this time the players are even more suited to that. The big question if he does so is whether he'll bring Carty or the bad doggie as third outhalf.

The return to fitness of Addison has no doubt caused some restless nights for Messrs Farrell, Conway and Larmour
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if Johnny's injury might mean that he plays more in the pool games than had previously been planned? Could happen with Murray too depending on what his form is like. He definitely improved towards the end of the season so fingers crossed the break and pre season will have him raring to go, but if he's sluggish in the warm up games then I'm sure they'll try and play him into form.

One of my big hopes over the next few months is that we're not afraid to drop established players if they're not at their best. I get the calls for Conan to start but can get behind CJ getting a chance to prove himself, but if he doesn't then we have to be ruthless. There are a few other examples like that. In fairness, Joe has made loads of big calls in the past so I'm hopeful in most cases.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Experimental wrote:I would go with:

SR: Ryan, Toner, Henderson
BS: O'Mahony, Beirne
SH: Murray, Marmion, Cooney
FH: Sexton, Carbery
C: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw, Farrell

I think it will be something like that. Jack McGrath has a good chance if he can recover his form. Bealham could get in ahead of Porter.

4 centers are a lot but Henshaw can cover fullback against the smaller nations at least and Ringrose can probably play on the wing if needed, against the smaller nations also.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd go with:

SR: Ryan, Toner, Henderson, Beirne
FH: Sexton, Carbery, Ross Byrne
C: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw,
W: Stockdale, Earls, Addison

I think bringing 9 outside backs is crazy. We'll just have someone there who basically never plays. For me, it's two of Farrell, Conway, Larmour and Adisson, not three.

You need to build the squad from an expected 23 up. Every 23 needs 4 props, 2 hookers, 3 SRs, 4 BRs, 2 SHs, 2 OHs, 2 Centers, and 4 Outside Backs. Your remaining 8 players need to be 1 from each category to cover an injury in the 48 hours before a game.

I am very aware that we tend to pick 9 outside backs in our world cups quads, but I think it's pointless. We didn't need both of Zebo and Darren Cave last time, we didn't need both of Murphy and McFadden in 2011, and we didn't need you know who from rugby league in 2007.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
leinsterforever
Mullet

CiaranIrl wrote:I'd go with:

I think bringing 9 outside backs is crazy. We'll just have someone there who basically never plays. For me, it's two of Farrell, Conway, Larmour and Adisson, not three.

You need to build the squad from an expected 23 up. Every 23 needs 4 props, 2 hookers, 3 SRs, 4 BRs, 2 SHs, 2 OHs, 2 Centers, and 4 Outside Backs. Your remaining 8 players need to be 1 from each category to cover an injury in the 48 hours before a game.

I am very aware that we tend to pick 9 outside backs in our world cups quads, but I think it's pointless. We didn't need both of Zebo and Darren Cave last time, we didn't need both of Murphy and McFadden in 2011, and we didn't need you know who from rugby league in 2007.
The only exception I'd make to that is Scannell going as second choice 12 and third choice 10 if one of Henshaw and Aki gets injured before the squad leaves. The fact that he'd cover a position outside 11-15 would mean that it makes sense. I think that's the context in which squads have 9 centres and back three players. One of them is covering one of the halfback positions.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

leinsterforever wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I'd go with:

The only exception I'd make to that is Scannell going as second choice 12 and third choice 10 if one of Henshaw and Aki gets injured before the squad leaves. The fact that he'd cover a position outside 11-15 would mean that it makes sense. I think that's the context in which squads have 9 centres and back three players. One of them is covering one of the halfback positions.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Like Paddy Wallace in 2011 backing up Rog and Sexton, but even so, Scannell isn't good enough to play 10 anymore, and Schmidt doesn't seem to rate him as a center, so I wouldn't think he has much of a chance.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A well thought-out piece in Demented Mole selecting the RWC Squad. Worth a read @:

http://dementedmole.com/2019/07/29/sele ... rwc-squad/