Champions Cup 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Champions Cup 2020

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:BTW, I think there's an (outside) chance that Dunne or, more likely Baird, may by-pass Molony. Dunne had a stellar first season and is owed one by the Club (and Stan Wright). Although only given a passing chance last Season, he reallt grew into the position, whilst never quite looking as co-ordinated as you'd like for a modern second-row - more Bob Casey than Brad Thorn.

Baird startduring JWC 2019 to develop the potential which has been evident in the Academy for 12-18 months, in terms of his physical potential. Subject to his coachibility, he is in the James Ryan league in terms of his physical capacity - nobody is yet certain whether he is even in the same sport mentally, as "The Big Cheese", but don't rule it out. Leo knows the position. He knows Noel Mc and he knows how much Baird developed during the JWC. I don't think Baird will be left "to naturally mature" within this Squad.
'Owed one by the club'?!

Come on, that's ridiculous.

Firstly, he's 'owed' nothing by Leinster.

Secondly, there's not a hope Leo/Stu would take something like that into account in selection.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Also,Moloney has had a really good year this year. He's on an upward curve himself if you ask me.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep he has indeed. Really came into his own last season. Cut out a lot of mistakes and looked more effective going forward.
I think he'll be a vital player for us at the start of the year. Still only 25 too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Molony fan club out in force.
Lads, word to the wise, you're way too obvious.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:Molony fan club out in force.
He's no Mick O'Driscoll I'll give you that.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Progress at last.
In fact if I were Molony, I'd be upset that one of his biggest fans or any Leinster fan for that matter would suggest that MOC would be in the same league as Molony.
Wash your mouth out sir.
Three Our Fathers and six Hail Marys for your sins.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Progress at last.
In fact if I were Molony, I'd be upset that one of his biggest fans or any Leinster fan for that matter would suggest that MOC would be in the same league as Molony.
Wash your mouth out sir.
Three Our Fathers and six Hail Marys for your sins.
:lol:
You're some tulip!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

leinsterforever wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The more I think of it the more I reckon we should start this campaign with the bulk of the guys who'll start the league season with us. I could be wrong but I think the players in the World Cup training squad will purely be with Ireland until they're cut/come back from Japan. Our players didn't really get that much time off (I know they have regular breaks during the summer) so will have gone straight from playing tough knockout games to three months of intense prep for Japan, and then who knows how that goes. I assume we'll get to the QF which will be on the 19/20th of October, and a semi final would mean that we're there until the start of November.

No matter how the World Cup goes I'd prefer if they had a decent break at that stage, back those who are here to do the needful and then integrate the others back and have them rescue things in the four remaining games if necessary.
It'd be inetresting to see how that team would get on anyway.

1. Dooley, 2. Cronin, 3. Bent, 4. Molony, 5. Fardy, 6. Ruddock, 7. Connors, 8. Deegan, 9. Gibson-Park, 10. Byrne, 11. Lowe, 12. C. O'Brien, 13. O'Loughlin, 14. Daly, 15. Frawley; 16. Tracy, 17. Byrne, 18. Abdaladze, 19. Dunne, 20. Doris, 21. Patterson/O'Sullivan, 22. J. O'Brien, 23. D. Kearney/Adam Byrne

Cronin, Ruddock and Ross Byrne could all make the cut and not be around, obviously. There'll be injuries as well, so it's quite likely Ruddock will end up in Japan even if he doesn't make it initially. If the backrowers taken are POM, JvdF, Murphy, Stander and Conan, I'd say Ruddock would be the first to get the call if anyone went down.

If those guys are really performing well and the guys coming back from Japan are a bit fatigued and possibly jaded, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of mix-and-match anyway - to reward form.
Further to this, I guess it'll be Healy, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, van der Flier, Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose and Robert Kearney who'll have the really heavy workload at the World Cup. Cronin, Porter, Ruddock, Conan, McGrath, Ross Byrne and Jordan Larmour could be comparatively fresh even if they are just off the plane from Japan.

So a 'rested' team not featuring the former group of players might look something like:

1. Dooley, 2. Cronin, 3. Bent, 4. Molony, 5. Fardy, 6. Ruddock, 7. Connors, 8. Conan, 9. Gibson-Park, 10. Byrne, 11. Lowe, 12. C. O'Brien, 13. O'Loughlin, 14. Daly, 15. Larmour; 16. Tracy, 17. Byrne, 18. Porter, 19. Dunne, 20. Deegan, 21. McGrath, 22. Frawley, 23. D. Kearney/Adam Byrne

I like Barry Daly, but others might think Adam Byrne or David Kearney or Fergus McFadden would be better picks on the right wing. Certainly a lot of options there.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I don’t think Ross Byrne or Luke McGrath will go to the World Cup to be honest. I feel like we’ll take two 10s in Sexton and Carbery, and I think McGrath’s form towards the end of last season played him out of contention for Japan.

Either way, they’ll be part of the rested group whether it is being managed by Leinster or sitting on the bench for a few weeks for Ireland.

It’ll be interesting if Byrne isn’t available for Leinster during the World Cup with Reid gone. Frawley or Harry Byrne will need to step up for those few games. Would love to see what they’re like after a run of games.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Serb wrote:I don’t think Ross Byrne or Luke McGrath will go to the World Cup to be honest. I feel like we’ll take two 10s in Sexton and Carbery, and I think McGrath’s form towards the end of last season played him out of contention for Japan.

Either way, they’ll be part of the rested group whether it is being managed by Leinster or sitting on the bench for a few weeks for Ireland.

It’ll be interesting if Byrne isn’t available for Leinster during the World Cup with Reid gone. Frawley or Harry Byrne will need to step up for those few games. Would love to see what they’re like after a run of games.
Also the fact that Cooney did well when given a chance as Joe clearly wasn't a believer. I think he might take Byrne, Joey covers two positions on the one hand and the other considerations i that Sexton and Carbery are both very injury prone.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Anyone know when the fixtures will be announced?
EPCR themselves said it would follow on from the Pro14 schedule...I wonder are there negotiations going on in the background, delaying it?

Seems quite late. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to plan possible trips.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

17th of August same as last year. Or thereabouts
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:Anyone know when the fixtures will be announced?
EPCR themselves said it would follow on from the Pro14 schedule...I wonder are there negotiations going on in the background, delaying it?

Seems quite late. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to plan possible trips.
My guess is it will be two weeks from today on the 16th August. Been on or around that middle Friday of August for the last few seasons.

dates fixtures announced for last three seasons;

Fri 17th August 2018
Tues 22nd August 2017
Fri 19th August 2016
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Muchas gracias.

Was delighted we got Lyon: a direct train ride from here. Will try to make Treviso too: I’ve been moaning for years that we never get an Italian side, so now we do I should follow through.
Will book stuff as soon as the dates are announced.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Heard a few rumblings the schedule could be that we play same team home and away on consecutive weeks not like the old system where we would play say Lyon first at home and then last at the end of the pool games
Very interesting, probably looking to keep teams interested throughout the pool stages
Serb
Mullet

Champions Cup 2020

Post by Serb »

Not sure it solves the problem really. I think it makes it worse in some respects. At least for the first three rounds, three of the teams are likely to still be in the hunt, meaning you’re guaranteed to face a team at least once while they have skin in the game.

Imagine we go with this home / away alternating system and face a team in round 5 & 6 that can’t qualify. It’s two consecutive dead rubbers against the same team.
Last edited by Serb on August 10th, 2019, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The back to back game in the middle of the pool stages was special, if there all back to backs none of them are special. More tweaks to take more shine off the competition.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Anyone got a further update of when these will be announced?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Leoslovechild wrote:Anyone got a further update of when these will be announced?
This day last week they posted the following to their twitter account .....
Heineken Champions Cup wrote: The official fixture details are still in the process of being finalised

A time/date for an announcement will be confirmed shortly on official #ChallengeCupRugby and #Heineken #ChampionsCup channels

Watch this space
.... so we’re waiting for an announcement about an announcement - and they wonder why punters think they’re a joke!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

Home game in the Aviva Weekend of the 13th December!