Leinster Academy 19/20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 19/20

Post by mildlyinterested »

Conor Kelly(Roscrea/Clontarf) is involved too, forgot to list him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested wrote:Still no sign of Tommy O'Brien, Jack Dunne, Brian Deeny, Tom Clarkson, Michael Silvester or Aaron O'Sullivan.
O'Brien, Dunne, Deeny and Clarkson make season debut against Munster A.

No sign of Silvester or O'Sullivan, who I believe are focusing on 7's.
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

mildlyinterested wrote:McKenzie has a strong chance at being the irish u20 Outhalf, he was the 1st choice irish schools Outhalf when u18. He played leinster A last week and scored a try on his debut after missing all of last season with a knee injury.. He is more than good enough.

Someone like Tarrant was looked at last season and considered not good enough. You may not like corkery but he was the 1st choice Outhalf for Leinster 19s and is obviously rated. Leonard is still very young and could easily force his way into sub-academy at a future date.
As a small point believe McKenzie made his debut against Cardiff. I've heard both him and LaGrue started the game
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

U20's in A squads so far during Celtic Cup

LH Prop
Harry Noonan(Greystones RFC/Old Wesley)
Marcus Hanan(Clane RFC/Old Belvedere)
Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Clontarf)

TH Prop
Tom Clarkson(Blackrock/DUFC)

Hooker
John McKee(Campbell/Old Belvedere)

Lock
Brian Deeny(Wexford RFC/Clontarf)
Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD)
David Maher(Rocrea/MU Barnhall)

Backrow
Sean O'Brien(Blackrock/???)
Mark Hernan(St. Michaels/???)

Scrumhalf
Jack Connolly(Gonzaga/???)

Outhalf
Paddy McKenzie(Wicklow RFC/Old Wesley)

Wing
Niall Comerford(Blackrock/???)
Andrew Smith(St. Michaels/???)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Trevor Hogan on Tommy O'Brien:

“Tommy is an inspirational lad. A fella that has been frustrated by injuries but how he goes about his business, he really is first class and when you see him and the determination and focus that he shows, he’s an inspiration.

“He’s looked really good in training this week, but knowing Tommy I know he will be just focused on that first touch and making sure he gets himself into the game early. But yeah, brilliant to see him back out on the pitch and I hope it goes really well for him.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:Trevor Hogan on Tommy O'Brien:

“Tommy is an inspirational lad. A fella that has been frustrated by injuries but how he goes about his business, he really is first class and when you see him and the determination and focus that he shows, he’s an inspiration.

“He’s looked really good in training this week, but knowing Tommy I know he will be just focused on that first touch and making sure he gets himself into the game early. But yeah, brilliant to see him back out on the pitch and I hope it goes really well for him.”
Tommy is blue chip.

I would really like to see him moved to fullback. He's got the intelligence [the lad is studying to be an actuary], the seriousness, the toughness and the leadership to fill that role and really command from the back.

He's a superb athlete and he's got a better size and build [183cm/6' and 92kg/14st 5lbs] for the back three than for the centres. Henshaw and O'Brien are 191cm and 101-103kg, Tomane is 188cm and 102kg and Ringrose and O'Loughlin are 188cm and 94-95kg ... and not even the biggest of those lads are regarded as big centres anymore.

I don't think that there's much scope [or that it'd be a good idea] for him to put any more muscle on his frame. For me, No12 is not an optimal position for him: his pace is wasted there, and I think he's too light to really thrive there at the highest level. He's more suited to No13, but there's a limited benefit from sticking him in behind Ringer, who's only three years older than him.

Obviously the lad has extensive experience on the wing, so the translation to fullback wouldn't be as daunting as transferring from centre backwards.

If I was Lancaster and Cullen, my biggest priority amongst all the academy players would be getting this lad into the No15 jersey and getting him underway there. That's where the gap is for us in the backline for the next 4-5 years, that's where the gap is for Ireland. I think he's got every skill the position requires and he's a serious leader, like a Rhys Ruddock for the backs. I'm convinced that he would have an outstanding career there for Leinster - a Girv Dempsey/Rob Kearney type of career.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hard to disagree with most of that, he is a physically built like a back three player at the pro level and it's where he should be focusing.

interesting to see his first game back was at 12, wait and see if that continues.

Jimmy O'Brien should have moved there earlier and Tommy O'Brien should move there now.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Trevor Hogan on Tommy O'Brien:

Tommy is blue chip.

I would really like to see him moved to fullback. He's got the intelligence [the lad is studying to be an actuary], the seriousness, the toughness and the leadership to fill that role and really command from the back.

He's a superb athlete and he's got a better size and build [183cm/6' and 92kg/14st 5lbs] for the back three than for the centres. Henshaw and O'Brien are 191cm and 101-103kg, Tomane is 188cm and 102kg and Ringrose and O'Loughlin are 188cm and 94-95kg ... and not even the biggest of those lads are regarded as big centres anymore.

I don't think that there's much scope [or that it'd be a good idea] for him to put any more muscle on his frame. For me, No12 is not an optimal position for him: his pace is wasted there, and I think he's too light to really thrive there at the highest level. He's more suited to No13, but there's a limited benefit from sticking him in behind Ringer, who's only three years older than him.

Obviously the lad has extensive experience on the wing, so the translation to fullback wouldn't be as daunting as transferring from centre backwards.

If I was Lancaster and Cullen, my biggest priority amongst all the academy players would be getting this lad into the No15 jersey and getting him underway there. That's where the gap is for us in the backline for the next 4-5 years, that's where the gap is for Ireland. I think he's got every skill the position requires and he's a serious leader, like a Rhys Ruddock for the backs. I'm convinced that he would have an outstanding career there for Leinster - a Girv Dempsey/Rob Kearney type of career.
What position do you think Liam Turner and Hawkshaw should focus on? They’re both really exciting prospects
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Hard to disagree with most of that, he is a physically built like a back three player at the pro level and it's where he should be focusing.

interesting to see his first game back was at 12, wait and see if that continues.

Jimmy O'Brien should have moved there earlier and Tommy O'Brien should move there now.
He probably would of been playing in the back three but Hawkshaw is injured
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ross Barron started at 9 for Lansdowne last night, James Reynolds started at 15.
Ryan McMahon started at 3 for Old Belvedere, John McKee was on the bench.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I see Sam Dardis scored a hat-trick for Terenure against Clontarf. Still U20 but not involved with Leinster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Andrew Smith has joined clontarf, the most outrageous singing I’ve seen in a while considering he’s a D4 true blue. Must be getting payed some amount of cash to travel to the Northside and to be fair, it’s an attractive club to join considering they’re the best AIL team in Leinster and usually make finals/ semi finals in AIL
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

interesting, first notable Michaels player since Reid to play for Tarf..
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:interesting, first notable Michaels player since Reid to play for Tarf..
He’s been playing really well for Leinster A at the moment and I heard he’s been promoted to the academy. Doubt it he’ll play any u20s games for clontarf, if not very few as he was promised AIL . He’s a player who I really think he can make his way into the Leinster team soon. Maybe towards the end of the year he might get a run for Leinster.. but we’ll have to wait and see, interesting times ahead
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wouldnt be an interesting move if he did join full academy now, was a heavy favourite to do so next summer assuming his u20 season went well.

we shall wait and see.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Pilotman123 wrote:Andrew Smith has joined clontarf, the most outrageous singing I’ve seen in a while considering he’s a D4 true blue. Must be getting payed some amount of cash to travel to the Northside and to be fair, it’s an attractive club to join considering they’re the best AIL team in Leinster and usually make finals/ semi finals in AIL
I'd be very sure of my facts before I started throwing accusations at a club.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:Andrew Smith has joined clontarf, the most outrageous singing I’ve seen in a while considering he’s a D4 true blue. Must be getting payed some amount of cash to travel to the Northside and to be fair, it’s an attractive club to join considering they’re the best AIL team in Leinster and usually make finals/ semi finals in AIL
I'd be very sure of my facts before I started throwing accusations at a club.
Known across Leinster as 'the elephant in the wardrobe'
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

interesting to see Charlie Ward playing loosehead for A's, may be his position long term.

also interesting to see u19 outhalf Tim Corkery from Kilkenny RFC on the bench.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Alex Soroka(Belvo/Lock) and Josh O'Connor(Wexford/Wing) unsurprisingly in sub-academy.