IanD
Official Mascot

Re: RWC 2019

Post by IanD »

Interesting article.

BBC News - Rugby World Cup 2019: How Scotland are preparing for Japan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49598787

Stand out bits

"Our analysis kit grows by the day, as it becomes such a big part of the sport. We always have a screen and a big digital clock at training along with our drones, GPS, cameras, laptops and the rest."

"One eventuality that will be difficult to allow for is typhoons. September is peak season for extreme weather in the country.

Pool matches that cannot be played on the day for which they are scheduled will not be shifted to a different day. Instead, they will be recorded as a draw, potentially with significant knock-on effects for qualification."

Imagine if we can't play Russia and the match is marked as a draw. Would be massive for pool rankings.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

IanD wrote:Interesting article.

Stand out bits

"Our analysis kit grows by the day, as it becomes such a big part of the sport. We always have a screen and a big digital clock at training along with our drones, GPS, cameras, laptops and the rest."

"One eventuality that will be difficult to allow for is typhoons. September is peak season for extreme weather in the country.

Pool matches that cannot be played on the day for which they are scheduled will not be shifted to a different day. Instead, they will be recorded as a draw, potentially with significant knock-on effects for qualification."

Imagine if we can't play Russia and the match is marked as a draw. Would be massive for pool rankings.
The Russian match is the one least likely to be cancelled. The Kobe Misaki stadium has a retractable roof.
Anyone But New Zealand
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

FLIP wrote:

Stand out bits

The Russian match is the one least likely to be cancelled. The Kobe Misaki stadium has a retractable roof.

I take your point but ...... Roof means feck all if you can't travel.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... avel-chaos

I used the Russian match as an example of the massive change it would have on the group. Also because a 5 hour delay would mean match would start after midnight meaning no match.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:

Stand out bits

The Ireland v Scotland match would be the worst game for us to be recorded as a draw.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
FLIP wrote:

Stand out bits

The Ireland v Scotland match would be the worst game for us to be recorded as a draw.
How do you figure that?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ireland should beat Scotland.
A draw for Scotland would therefore be a great result for Scotland.
It would turn the group into a lottery.
Japan in particular would see it as a huge opportunity.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Only three of the 20 squads at the 2019 World Cup have no foreign-born players.

They are Argentina, Namibia and Uruguay, although six of the Namibians spent parts of their childhood in South Africa, according to Yahoo Sport UK.

Tonga (19) and Samoa (17) have the most foreign-born players in their 31-man squads due to the number of players who are born in New Zealand but have a parent or grandparent who was born in the Pacific Islands.

Japan is next with 16 foreign-born players, with just under half of the squad having qualified through World Rugby’s three-year residency rule. This includes South African forwards Wimpie van der Walt and Lappies Labuschagne.

World Rugby’s residency rule will be increased to five years from 2020, making it one year more than a World Cup cycle instead of one year less.

The only foreign-born player in the Springbok squad is Zimbabwean Beast Mtawarira, who has earned 111 Test caps for his adopted country.

Number of foreign-born players at the 2019 World Cup:

Tonga 19
Samoa 17
Japan 16
Scotland 14
USA 13
Australia 12
Italy 8
Wales 8
England 6
Ireland 5
Canada 4
Fiji 4
France 4
New Zealand 3
Russia 2
South Africa 1
Georgia 1
Argentina 0
Namibia 0
Uruguay 0

https://rugbyrocks.com/which-world-cup- ... n-players/
Ireland have 5, but two of those are Joey Carbery and Luke McGrath. Of the three project players, both Stander and Aki have made sizeable contributions to their teams and their communities since arriving. (Kleyn may well have done so by the time he's here as long as the other two)

England too have their numbers artificially inflated by the presence of the Vunipola brothers, Manu Tuilagi, Sam Underhill and Joe Cokanasiga. The only real project player in their squad is Willi Heinz
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Likely weather forecast for the day of the Scotland match.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/yokoh ... 4374?day=9
Looks like a recorded draw is off the table tg.
Only thing to worry about would seem to be the high UV levels.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Luke Jacobsen out injured for New Zealand and sent home. Bad blow to their depth, but he could also have pushed into their best matchday squad. Is an excellent player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I see that it's concussion that's put him out, sounds worrying, especially for someone so young.

Frizzel called up, he's a super athlete but very much a front foot player.

It'll be fascinating to see how they cope without Retallick next week. It's funny, if they beat SA then they'll feel great about themselves and be looking forward to Retallick giving them a boost in the knockout phase, but if they lose they'll probably be desperate for him to get back and save them.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

One for the medics?
Adam Beard, Welsh SR, had his appendix removed a few day ago and expects to be fit to play again by the end of the month.
A. Is that even likely?
B. Surely his aerobic and match fitness will be impacted?
He's not travelling to Japan until next week apparently.
Last edited by Oldschool on September 14th, 2019, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Robbie Henshaw is OUT of the World Cup with a torn hamstring. I was always a bit worried about it because I overheard the Physio on the phone in Portugal saying he had a tight hamstring. Massive Loss. The Media don’t know about it yet
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

hearing the same thing
bad tear i am hearing
Not good for us either
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Massive loss. At least it’s a competitive position
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Addison who was supposed to start for Ulster today at Glasgow, is now on the bench.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Pilotman123 wrote:Robbie Henshaw is OUT of the World Cup with a torn hamstring. I was always a bit worried about it because I overheard the Physio on the phone in Portugal saying he had a tight hamstring. Massive Loss. The Media don’t know about it yet
Just got a message saying the same. Could all be the same source of course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

The Doc wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:Robbie Henshaw is OUT of the World Cup with a torn hamstring. I was always a bit worried about it because I overheard the Physio on the phone in Portugal saying he had a tight hamstring. Massive Loss. The Media don’t know about it yet
Just got a message saying the same. Could all be the same source of course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Media all reported yesterday that he was a doubt for Scotland game but would he have trained today if he was injured?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

neill_m wrote:Addison who was supposed to start for Ulster today at Glasgow, is now on the bench.
Maybe because he’s going to Japan to replace Henshaw?
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

neill_m wrote:Addison who was supposed to start for Ulster today at Glasgow, is now on the bench.
Maybe because he’s going to Japan to replace Henshaw?