General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: General GAA thread

Post by Avenger »

Well that was unexpected. Great win by Kilkenny. Cody got his tactics spot on.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Just watched the post match semi final discussion on the Sunday game and I'm tempted to ask who were Davy fitzgerald's Wexford playing. Never saw a post match discussion to be so about the losing team.
Apparently Wexford threw it away and tipp should have had another man sent off. Nothing else controversial happened at all such as tipp having three goals disallowed and Wexford getting a goal from a player who was in the small square before the ball arrived.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

That third quarter by the Dubs was just unreal
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

At the risk of sounding like a Yank, Dublin were awesome at the start of the second half.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The impact of Davy Byrne and how Gavin changed his positioning from half-time seems to have been completely overlooked by the TV pundits, who usually pick up these elements very quickly.

From what I watched, in the first 10 mins of the second-half, Dublin mid-field got him on the ball, as a free, unmarked, man on at least six occasions in five minutes and he found a Dublin attacker in space with every pass. Five of his passes led directly to scores. Mayo had effectively marked the high-profile Dublin ball-carriers in the first half but they ignored Byrne in possession in that third quarter.

Superb Dublin performance from the players in third quarter but hats off to the tactical analysis of how to upset the Mayo game plan.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The impact of Davy Byrne and how Gavin changed his positioning from half-time seems to have been completely overlooked by the TV pundits, who usually pick up these elements very quickly.

From what I watched, in the first 10 mins of the second-half, Dublin mid-field got him on the ball, as a free, unmarked, man on at least six occasions in five minutes and he found a Dublin attacker in space with every pass. Five of his passes led directly to scores. Mayo had effectively marked the high-profile Dublin ball-carriers in the first half but they ignored Byrne in possession in that third quarter.

Superb Dublin performance from the players in third quarter but hats off to the tactical analysis of how to upset the Mayo game plan.
Very good point. Jack McCaffrey barely attacked in the 2nd half but that could well have been part of the same tactic
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:At the risk of sounding like a Yank, Dublin were awesome at the start of the second half.
They were savage. Can't recall seeing a better 10 minute spell of football in the last 10-15 years.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Enthralling final. Though Kerry only had the lead once in the game and the Dubs missed a [very difficult] free to win it at the death, I think the Dubs won't be regretting the draw that much. Kerry played against 14 men for about 44 mins. They had points to make up, but should have done better with that numerical advantage.

I thought Jim Gavin made a rare tactical error in not taking off one of the lads [Small or Cooper] who got a yellow in the first half. They picked up their yellows early, which left them in a tough spot for the rest of the game - either play conservatively and risk being ineffective, or play as you were and risk being sent off.

Mayo were able to keep Jack McCaffrey out of the game in the semi-final, and Fenton had a huge game. Kerry did a good job keeping Fenton out of the final, and McCaffrey had a huge game.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote:Enthralling final. Though Kerry only had the lead once in the game and the Dubs missed a [very difficult] free to win it at the death, I think the Dubs won't be regretting the draw that much. Kerry played against 14 men for about 44 mins. They had points to make up, but should have done better with that numerical advantage.

I thought Jim Gavin made a rare tactical error in not taking off one of the lads [Small or Cooper] who got a yellow in the first half. They picked up their yellows early, which left them in a tough spot for the rest of the game - either play conservatively and risk being ineffective, or play as you were and risk being sent off.

Mayo were able to keep Jack McCaffrey out of the game in the semi-final, and Fenton had a huge game. Kerry did a good job keeping Fenton out of the final, and McCaffrey had a huge game.
I'm not sure if taking Cooper off in the first half would have been a good idea/fair, but maybe they could have moved him off Clifford.
Dublin kicked long balls into Con O'Callaghan on a couple of occasions, to great effect, I'm surprised they didn't do it more often.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Laighin Break wrote:
hugonaut wrote:Enthralling final. Though Kerry only had the lead once in the game and the Dubs missed a [very difficult] free to win it at the death, I think the Dubs won't be regretting the draw that much. Kerry played against 14 men for about 44 mins. They had points to make up, but should have done better with that numerical advantage.

I'm not sure if taking Cooper off in the first half would have been a good idea/fair, but maybe they could have moved him off Clifford.
Dublin kicked long balls into Con O'Callaghan on a couple of occasions, to great effect, I'm surprised they didn't do it more often.
One of my colleagues [a man far more steeped in the nuances of football] explained to me that Gavin would have likely wanted to keep Cooper on until half time at least. That way, he could have made the decision to move him or sub him at the break, and the Kerry staff wouldn't have had the halftime break to set their team up differently.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Very enjoyable game to watch and relieved to live to fight another day. Not only surprised at Gavin leaving Cooper on Clifford for the entirety of the first half, I found his decision to bring Paddy Small on for McAuley a little perplexing. Just felt like an odd decision when he had someone like Cian O'Sullivan to bring in. Could have moved Howard a little further forward too where I think he would have done more damage. Haven't seen a replay of the game yet but it seemed like Paddy Small had a poor game, took way too much out of the ball, ran down some blind alleys and poor shot selection.

Thought Dublin's defending improved quite a bit after Kerry took the lead, they turned the ball over numerous time and probably had enough possession to get more than the one score they did get, even if Costello's disallowed point was a little unlucky.

One small point, though, is that Kerry lead twice in the game. Wouldn't blame anyone for missing it but they lead by 0-5 to 0-4 for about 30 seconds before McCaffrey's goal.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dublin need to analyse how they can attack up the right wing as well as the left and through the centre. Without a threat on the right, Kerry can do a "corner-court press" on Dublin and smother their attacks.

Outscore Kerry early and double-team Clifford seem like good tactics for the replay.

Enjoyable game but quality of football was behind both semi-finals.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

cormac wrote:

Very enjoyable game to watch and relieved to live to fight another day. Not only surprised at Gavin leaving Cooper on Clifford for the entirety of the first half, I found his decision to bring Paddy Small on for McAuley a little perplexing. Just felt like an odd decision when he had someone like Cian O'Sullivan to bring in. Could have moved Howard a little further forward too where I think he would have done more damage. Haven't seen a replay of the game yet but it seemed like Paddy Small had a poor game, took way too much out of the ball, ran down some blind alleys and poor shot selection.

Thought Dublin's defending improved quite a bit after Kerry took the lead, they turned the ball over numerous time and probably had enough possession to get more than the one score they did get, even if Costello's disallowed point was a little unlucky.

One small point, though, is that Kerry lead twice in the game. Wouldn't blame anyone for missing it but they lead by 0-5 to 0-4 for about 30 seconds before McCaffrey's goal.
I don't think Cian O'Sullivan was on the bench. He had to withdraw late due to illness/injury.
Talk that Fenton was sick as well, which explains his quiet game. Hopefully everyone's fit and firing for the replay.

I wouldn't have two lads on Clifford, that'd be showing a 20 year old too much respect, and limit Dublin's gameplan. I think Mick Fitzsimons did very well on him so would put him marking him for the game. That said, if Kerry drop a man back, leaving Dublin with a spare back, I'd place him in front of Clifford.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Up The Dubs!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dead right. They were first rate. Very shy of referee decisions the whole way through the game and ran out handsome winners. They deserve all the plaudits that come to them. Unbelievable team and an outstanding bainisteoir. UP THE DUBS!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Up the Dubs! Again.
Awful game though.
That's the triple double.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:Up the Dubs! Again.
Awful game though.
That's the triple double.
Yeah, the weather ruined it, which was a pity.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCTyEDcH4Ho

Brilliant vid!
That is quite splendid! Thanks for sharing
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Gavin has stepped down as Dublin manager.