RWC 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: RWC 2019

Post by Oldschool »

French players look fresh enough going in at HT.
That's the first sign of trouble for the rest of the teams in this RWC.
Enjoyable game too.
@RTB looks like you're going to get a good run for your 33/1.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That's a decent lead for France and they are also defending well, particularly their back-row which has a couple of surprise selections. You'd fancy France unless the Argies can get their pack carrying hard and straight.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Wow! Argentina right back in it.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The maul is proving this RWC weapon. Maybe Joe's selection of Kleyn will be an inspired one.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

French very lucky not to be carded. Loads of penalties against them in the red zone.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Neither team up to much to be honest. France looked good in the first half when Argentina were execrable - in the second half when Argentina raised their performance to mediocre things levelled out. A good game to watch because the teams were evenly matched.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

SH refs don't have a feel for cheating and passion. Gardner never got to the temperature of that game at all. However, France management did no thinking at half-time and scrum-half Dupont kicked possession away with 8 kicks from mid-field during the second half. France will only thrive if they keep possession and get over the gain line and get fast ruck ball going forward. I actually suspect that Brunel and Galtie said "let's have more of the same in the second half". Almost blew it, but will have learned a lot in victory.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Arg aren't up to much.

France have enough in the pack (albeit not very well drilled) and definitely enough sparkle in the backline to cause Wales or Aus trouble though. Dupont and Penaud are superstars.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Ruckedtobits wrote:SH refs don't have a feel for cheating and passion. Gardner never got to the temperature of that game at all.
Gardner didn't even have a feel for the laws. 2 final warnings after multiple red zone offences, Picamoles miles offside for his key interception. Argentina can rightly feel robbed, and if it happened against us I'd be spitting.
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Is there any way to mute Liam Toland's co-commentary?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Reece is beating Mapimpi like he was his girlfriend
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

So, left - right, right - left, left - right, kick, concede.

Looks familiar.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Watching Barrett at 15 can't help but think that in his haste to set JC as a replacement for Sexton, JS didn't spend long enough thinking about getting them both on the pitch at the same time. :(

Ah well, water under the bridge now!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Watching Barrett at 15 can't help but think that in his haste to set JC as a replacement for Sexton, JS didn't spend long enough thinking about getting them both on the pitch at the same time. :(

If only someone had thought of that alright.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think this game is great for us. NZ don't look great, they're basically a two man team with Savea saving their forwards and Barrett saving the backs, he's pretty much a one man attack now that he's taken control. They've also showed us exactly how TO play SA and how NOT to play SA. The SA defence was immense in that first 20 and the pack was on fire, but once NZ stopped flinging stupid passes around the place and showed some composure and went to the kicking game SA hadn't a clue how to react.

De Klerk is great on the front foot but he's technically very poor so once he's under pressure his game falls apart.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Watching Barrett at 15 can't help but think that in his haste to set JC as a replacement for Sexton, JS didn't spend long enough thinking about getting them both on the pitch at the same time. :(

If only someone had thought of that alright.
I heard a couple of fellas up in Dublin where thinking along those lines but they got shouted down.

Sure what do they know? :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dem schmart bucks up in the schmoke!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:Neither team up to much to be honest. France looked good in the first half when Argentina were execrable - in the second half when Argentina raised their performance to mediocre things levelled out. A good game to watch because the teams were evenly matched.
Thought France were very good in the first half but even then they did a lot of illegal things and were blessed not to be carded.

I rated France coming into this but haven't a clue how they'll do now. I'd love to see them playing England in a shoot out to go through, but if there's anything riding on that then they could fall apart...after going 20 points up :lol:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

So... Kick pass to the right wing v SA?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The refereeing has been astonishingly bad in every game so far. Garces has mostly been good but the decision not to give SA a card was a shocker. As others have said, there must be an edict to keep players on the field.

Gardner not giving a yellow was unbelievable though considering the warnings he gave and how blatant and cynical some of the French infringements were. Given that he was the one who didn't card Farrell last November I'd have thought that he'd need to pretty sharp on that front.

Said it before and I'll say it again, refereeing is one of my biggest worries in terms of our World Cup chances.