Rhys Ruddock

Re: Celtic Cup 19/20

Post by Morf »

mildlyinterested wrote:TRIES:
7 - Gavin Mullin(Centre/21)
7 - Dan Sheehan(Hooker/21)
5 - Paddy Patterson(Scrumhalf/20)
4 - Andrew Smith(Wing/U20)
3 - Cormac Foley(Scrumhalf/19), Jack Kelly(Fullback/21), Ronan Watters(Backrow/20), Niall Comerford(Wing/U20), Rob Russell(Wing-Fullback/20)
2 - Liam Turner(Centre/20), Adam La Grue(Centre-Wing/U21), Ramon Salanoa(TH Prop/U23),Ronan Foley(Backrow/22), Tommy O'Brien(Centre/21), Bobby Sheehan(Hooker/U20).
1 - Jack Aungier(TH Prop/20), Bryan Byrne(Hooker/26), Mark Hernan(Openside/U20), Michael Milne(LH Prop/20), Paddy McKenzie(Outhalf/U20), Tom Clarkson(TH Prop/U20), Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf/23), Jack Dunne(Lock/20), Oisin Dowling(Lock-Blindside/22), Penalty try 1

CONS: Harry Byrne(Outhalf/20) 15, Rob Russell(Fullback/U21) 11, James Tarrant(Outhalf/U21) 7, Conor Kelly(Outhalf/20) 5, Paddy McKenzie(Outhalf/U20) 3, Pen try con
Any player(s) who you feel really advanced their position in the eyes of coaches over the Celtic Cup run?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYqbEhk5pVg

Awful video.
Could we not do better.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

blockhead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYqbEhk5pVg

Awful video.
Could we not do better.
What on earth was that, terrible video
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Anyone have any news on Mark Hernan ? He played outstanding for Michael’s in the cup and haven’t seen much of him since, anyone know how he’s getting on these days? Would have liked to seen him play in the Celtic Cup
Last edited by Pilotman123 on October 17th, 2019, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Anyone have any news on Mark Hernan ? He played outstanding for Michael’s in the cup and haven’t seen much of him since, anyone know how he’s getting on these days? Would have liked to seen him play in the Celtic Cup
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

Pilotman123 wrote:Anyone have any news on Mark Hernan ? He played outstanding for Michael’s in the cup and haven’t seen much of him since, anyone know how he’s getting on these days? Would have liked to seen him play in the Celtic Cup
He played the first two games and did well, then got injured, not sure if he's back yet, will play Lansdowne 20s when he's fit and probably be in Ireland 20s camp too
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jack Kelly got injured also, otherwise he'd have featured at 15 through to the final.. unsure his status now.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Morf wrote:
3 - Cormac Foley(Scrumhalf/19), Jack Kelly(Fullback/21), Ronan Watters(Backrow/20), Niall Comerford(Wing/U20), Rob Russell(Wing-Fullback/20)
2 - Liam Turner(Centre/20), Adam La Grue(Centre-Wing/U21), Ramon Salanoa(TH Prop/U23),Ronan Foley(Backrow/22), Tommy O'Brien(Centre/21), Bobby Sheehan(Hooker/U20).
1 - Jack Aungier(TH Prop/20), Bryan Byrne(Hooker/26), Mark Hernan(Openside/U20), Michael Milne(LH Prop/20), Paddy McKenzie(Outhalf/U20), Tom Clarkson(TH Prop/U20), Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf/23), Jack Dunne(Lock/20), Oisin Dowling(Lock-Blindside/22), Penalty try 1

CONS: Harry Byrne(Outhalf/20) 15, Rob Russell(Fullback/U21) 11, James Tarrant(Outhalf/U21) 7, Conor Kelly(Outhalf/20) 5, Paddy McKenzie(Outhalf/U20) 3, Pen try con
Any player(s) who you feel really advanced their position in the eyes of coaches over the Celtic Cup run?
For me, the two stand-outs would be the two first names on that list, Mullin and Sheehan. Everybody knows that Tommy O'Brien is class – he's held up as an exemplar in the academy and is Pro14-ready, so it's no news when he plays well.

Mullin has upped his game massively in this tournament and looks confident and sure of himself with the ball and without it.

Sheehan isn't as pro-ready as Ronan Kelleher – there's only about 8 months between them – and I think his rate of progress will be slower and a little more measured; similar to Jack McGrath vs Cian Healy [hopefully]. But he has got a lot of potential: he's not a transplant to the position, so he already has experience and some of the nuances of a hooker. But he actually carries the ball like a No8 ... quick off the mark, impactful and a good handler.

Ryan Baird is an outstandingly athletic prospect and will be a super left-side lock in the Victor Matfield mould. That's not to say that he'll be as good a player as Matfield [one of the greatest ever], but in terms of a prototype to model his game and development on, I think the comparison is a good fit. He moves so well for such a tall guy, he's got a pair of spring heels and he is naturally fit. He can run all day.

Harry Byrne is very, very talented. He has the quick feet that Ross lacks, kicks the ball beautifully and has all the passes. The only questions around him at this early stage of his development is if he has grit and if he can lead. There are always going to be bumps in the road as an outhalf.

Liam Turner is definitely worth keeping an eye on. He may be short, but he's quick, tough and just a good rugby player. Good handler, good lines, good instincts.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

hugonaut wrote:
Morf wrote:

For me, the two stand-outs would be the two first names on that list, Mullin and Sheehan. Everybody knows that Tommy O'Brien is class – he's held up as an exemplar in the academy and is Pro14-ready, so it's no news when he plays well.

Mullin has upped his game massively in this tournament and looks confident and sure of himself with the ball and without it.

Sheehan isn't as pro-ready as Ronan Kelleher – there's only about 8 months between them – and I think his rate of progress will be slower and a little more measured; similar to Jack McGrath vs Cian Healy [hopefully]. But he has got a lot of potential: he's not a transplant to the position, so he already has experience and some of the nuances of a hooker. But he actually carries the ball like a No8 ... quick off the mark, impactful and a good handler.

Ryan Baird is an outstandingly athletic prospect and will be a super left-side lock in the Victor Matfield mould. That's not to say that he'll be as good a player as Matfield [one of the greatest ever], but in terms of a prototype to model his game and development on, I think the comparison is a good fit. He moves so well for such a tall guy, he's got a pair of spring heels and he is naturally fit. He can run all day.

Harry Byrne is very, very talented. He has the quick feet that Ross lacks, kicks the ball beautifully and has all the passes. The only questions around him at this early stage of his development is if he has grit and if he can lead. There are always going to be bumps in the road as an outhalf.

Liam Turner is definitely worth keeping an eye on. He may be short, but he's quick, tough and just a good rugby player. Good handler, good lines, good instincts.
Ryan Baird was rated better than James Ryan was when he was in school so it’s very exciting times ahead and I wouldn’t be surprised if Baird turns out to be better than Ryan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah, I'd love a big fat cu** of a lock to come through, proper 6'8" 120-130kg brawler, would give us a bit of tighthead lock meanness to complete our second row attributes.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

neiliog93 wrote:Yeah, I'd love a big fat cu** of a lock to come through, proper 6'8" 120-130kg brawler, would give us a bit of tighthead lock meanness to complete our second row attributes.
?? We don’t need that thanks
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

neiliog93 wrote:Yeah, I'd love a big fat cu** of a lock to come through, proper 6'8" 120-130kg brawler, would give us a bit of tighthead lock meanness to complete our second row attributes.
Last Irish prospect in that mould was John Madigan, no?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Darren O'Shea has the size but not the grit or brute strength.

Think Damian Browne's bulk plus a couple of inches in height, and then add in even slightly more athleticism.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Pilotman123 wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Ryan Baird was rated better than James Ryan was when he was in school so it’s very exciting times ahead and I wouldn’t be surprised if Baird turns out to be better than Ryan
Not by anybody who knows what's required for pro rugby. Baird was always recognised as a superb athletic specimen but it was only in the second-half of last Season that he began to apply his skills and physique to the benefit of the team around him, rather than his own reputation.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

What do you (or anyone else) make of Charlie Ryan? I think it bodes well that a Yr 1 guy gets entrusted with the captaincy so much. He's 6'7 at 20 years of age too.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Twist wrote:What do you (or anyone else) make of Charlie Ryan? I think it bodes well that a Yr 1 guy gets entrusted with the captaincy so much. He's 6'7 at 20 years of age too.
Excellent player, lovely touches, good in the line-out, good mobility, seems to be a real leader. Will never be an enforcer though - much more in the Matfield rather than Botha mould physically (not trying to big him up at all, more describing his prototype).
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

neiliog93 wrote:
Twist wrote:What do you (or anyone else) make of Charlie Ryan? I think it bodes well that a Yr 1 guy gets entrusted with the captaincy so much. He's 6'7 at 20 years of age too.
Excellent player, lovely touches, good in the line-out, good mobility, seems to be a real leader. Will never be an enforcer though - much more in the Matfield rather than Botha mould physically (not trying to big him up at all, more describing his prototype).
Matfield wasn't an enforcer? Who knew?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

riocard911 wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
More a piano tuner than a piano shifter assuredly :wink:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Morf wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
More a piano tuner than a piano shifter assuredly :wink:
I wonder, how would a second row pairing of two Matfields or two Bothas have got on?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Twist wrote:I wonder, how would a second row pairing of two Matfields or two Bothas have got on?
A pairing of two Bakkies is basically a French 2nd row with jumping backrows.