Ireland 2020 and beyond

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland 2020 and beyond

Post by Twist »

Hadn't realised Kearney was on 95. He could end up stuck on 99 forever like Stringer! I suppose he has his Lions caps though.

On the centres, yeah it'd be interesting to see Ringrose at 12. Does he have the bulk for when we decide to bash it up though? I remember BOD and D'Arcy would occasionally play left & right rather than inside & outside. It's easy to forget that D'Arcy was an adapted 13. But the best centre pairing I've seen from us all year was the warm-up game where we used Bundee and Henshaw. Ringrose's performances vastly improved after that, from the minute he came on as a wing replacement in that same game actually. Farrell is currently in better form than Henshaw and should've started the QF, in my opinion.

In the back three, I know I've banged this drum already but I'm hoping to see Addison at 15. He's solid under the high ball and a really good passer. He runs good trailers too.

I'd say if we rested our tight 5 lads for the summer tour the Aussies would have a f%~king fit
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Twist wrote:Hadn't realised Kearney was on 95. He could end up stuck on 99 forever like Stringer! I suppose he has his Lions caps though.

On the centres, yeah it'd be interesting to see Ringrose at 12. Does he have the bulk for when we decide to bash it up though? I remember BOD and D'Arcy would occasionally play left & right rather than inside & outside. It's easy to forget that D'Arcy was an adapted 13. But the best centre pairing I've seen from us all year was the warm-up game where we used Bundee and Henshaw. Ringrose's performances vastly improved after that, from the minute he came on as a wing replacement in that same game actually. Farrell is currently in better form than Henshaw and should've started the QF, in my opinion.

In the back three, I know I've banged this drum already but I'm hoping to see Addison at 15. He's solid under the high ball and a really good passer. He runs good trailers too.

I'd say if we rested our tight 5 lads for the summer tour the Aussies would have a f%~king fit
D'Arcy was a 15 who adapted to 14 who adapted to 13 who adapted to 12.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Think Darce was actually a hooker first, so maybe Ronan Kelleher will be our starting 12 at the next World Cup :lol:

I struggle to get on board with Addison. There's no doubt that he's a lovely footballer and would offer a good option at the back, and he was really solid when he came in at the last minute for the Argentina game last year, but I've seen games where his defence was really poor and he makes poor choices in attack as well. Plus there's his injury record. For me he's a really good option to have in a wider squad, on the bench, or to give other players a rest, but I just think he's a step down on the other lads in terms of being a long term starter. People could rightly point to the horror show from Stockdale on Saturday (and other games too) but he's young and was part of a general meltdown.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I agree re resting a lot of the RWC squad when it comes to the 2020 Summer Tour. They need the rest with the seasons ahead and there are a number of position where there is much-needed new blood knocking on the door.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Michael Lynagh alluded to it.
Graham Henry came out and said it, Ireland had too many players who were past their sell by date.
England did us a huge favour today by stuffing NZ in the SF. The scoreline didn't reflect their superiority.
Had the scoreline and performances being reversed then we'd have been hearing that we hadn't regressed, that really it was just a once off, it was NZ and we've nothing to worry about.
Now we know better.
Farrell now has the opportunity to move on.
Our problem is not a lack of talent and for that we should be grateful.
Farrell simply needs to heed the advice Graham Henry has given to him and embrace the next generation.
That starts with who he names as his captain.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Oldschool wrote:Our problem is not a lack of talent and for that we should be grateful.
People keep saying that, as if Joe somehow held the players back (not suggesting you are now). i dont think we do.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Our problem is not a lack of talent and for that we should be grateful.
People keep saying that, as if Joe somehow held the players back (not suggesting you are now). i dont think we do.
No I don't think Joe did or does hold players back, his record speaks for itself, Larmour being the most recent example.
I think he held on to some players for too long but that's his humanity.
Lancaster and Joe are the two best coaches we have ever had in Ireland for developing, encouraging and selecting (trusting) young players that we've ever had.
If Joe stays in Ireland, a possibility now, I believe, it would be great if he wanted to coach in one of the provinces like Lancaster.
Joe also had the particular skill of being able to teach old dogs new tricks too.
Recharge the batteries and go again.
Wishful thinking but I bet there isn't a fan in Ireland who wouldn't like that to happen.
Go back to teaching and coaching in one the schools.
Mister Kelleher are you listening. I can hear all the non Michael's boy saying " shut the f^ck up Oldschool" :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Oldschool wrote:Michael Lynagh alluded to it.
Graham Henry came out and said it, Ireland had too many players who were past their sell by date.
England did us a huge favour today by stuffing NZ in the SF. The scoreline didn't reflect their superiority.
Had the scoreline and performances being reversed then we'd have been hearing that we hadn't regressed, that really it was just a once off, it was NZ and we've nothing to worry about.
Now we know better.
Farrell now has the opportunity to move on.
Our problem is not a lack of talent and for that we should be grateful.
Farrell simply needs to heed the advice Graham Henry has given to him and embrace the next generation.
That starts with who he names as his captain.
Very good point. I can just imagine all the thoughtless anodyne commentators lining up to say Ireland had done little wrong and it was the ABs' brilliance.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Rumour that Marmion is off to Saracens next season. Shame if true. Murray is past it and McGrath is nothing special. It makes way for Cooney to be the number 9 next year.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

sunshiner1 wrote:Rumour that Marmion is off to Saracens next season. Shame if true. Murray is past it and McGrath is nothing special. It makes way for Cooney to be the number 9 next year.
Champions Cup winning scrum half is nothing special. :lol:

Also guess you've not heard about Sarries likely getting slapped for breaching the salary cap? It's unlikely they'll be able to afford anyone established.
Anyone But New Zealand
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Anyone know how to start a thread? Trying to make a Lions 2021 thread
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pilotman123 wrote:Anyone know how to start a thread? Trying to make a Lions 2021 thread
Nobody tell him. You could be banned!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

blockhead wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:Anyone know how to start a thread? Trying to make a Lions 2021 thread
Nobody tell him. You could be banned!
Why?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Coventry??
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by FLIP
sunshiner1 wrote:
Rumour that Marmion is off to Saracens next season. Shame if true. Murray is past it and McGrath is nothing special. It makes way for Cooney to be the number 9 next year.

Also guess you've not heard about Sarries likely getting slapped for breaching the salary cap? It's unlikely they'll be able to afford anyone established.
Murray was great but hasn't being the same since the neck injury and I doubt he ever will be again. As for the saracens slapdown depends how hard of a slap they're going to get; it hasn't being being decided yet.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by FLIP
sunshiner1 wrote:

Murray was great but hasn't being the same since the neck injury and I doubt he ever will be again. As for the saracens slapdown depends how hard of a slap they're going to get; it hasn't being being decided yet.
AFAIK Murray has never won the HC/CC
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Two test confirmed against Australia next July

Jul 4th - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Jul 11th - SCG, Sydney
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

South Africa, Australia, and Japan are coming to Dublin next November.

That's three pretty exciting games. Hard to know what kind of shape Japan will be in by then but they're arguably a bigger draw than Australia right now. Any new caps will get a good test which is great.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:South Africa, Australia, and Japan are coming to Dublin next November.

That's three pretty exciting games. Hard to know what kind of shape Japan will be in by then but they're arguably a bigger draw than Australia right now. Any new caps will get a good test which is great.
That's a super fixture list.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Marmion signs for another few years which I think is a good thing. Murray for me is done and McGrath isn't good enough. Would like to see more of Marmion, Cooney and Blade at the 6 nations