A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote:The Left Wing podcast unanimous that Baird to Connacht on loan for the rest of the season would be a good move for player and Connacht.
Gave up on the Left Wing a long time ago. Luke F is only interested in listening to the sound of his own voice.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I actually really liked the episodes he wasn't on during the WC!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote:They really gave it very little thought. Isn't he registered already as a member of Leinster's squad?

If they'd suggested Charlie Ryan it would've been more realistic, but when what do we do if we have an injury crisis? We'll be supplying at least one starting lock for the 6N, so we don't really want our promising young players cup-tied
J Ryan, Toner, Fardy, Molony are all fit.
Dowling, Baird, Dunne and C Ryan the upstarts
Ruddock and Murphy can play there.

How big of an injury crisis are we worrying about? It looks like we can afford to lend someone.

I'm not a fan of picking Baird for various reasons.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

From today's IT post the Treviso ERCC match in the RDS:

"When the Ireland flanker was slowed inches from the try line, Sexton appeared on his shoulder to sprint under the posts, punch the cold sky and roar at his people.

You would never know he had some pent-up frustration to vent.

“I think it is ’cause of you guys giving them so much hassle!” Leinster coach Leo Cullen half joked, half admonished the written media."

Poor choice of words by Leo from a PR point of view. I would have hoped the examples of MO'C and Joe had taught all in Leinster and the IRFU that a confrontational stance vis-a-vis the media is unwise. Or did I miss something and it's actually the fault of the press and the fans, that Ireland have never won a knockout match the RWC?....
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote:From today's IT post the Treviso ERCC match in the RDS:

"When the Ireland flanker was slowed inches from the try line, Sexton appeared on his shoulder to sprint under the posts, punch the cold sky and roar at his people.

You would never know he had some pent-up frustration to vent.

“I think it is ’cause of you guys giving them so much hassle!” Leinster coach Leo Cullen half joked, half admonished the written media."

Poor choice of words by Leo from a PR point of view. I would have hoped the examples of MO'C and Joe had taught all in Leinster and the IRFU that a confrontational stance vis-a-vis the media is unwise. Or did I miss something and it's actually the fault of the press and the fans, that Ireland have never won a knockout match the RWC?....
I think it is a harmless enough remark from Leo. He's very accomplished at dealing with the media - it's the family business [source: https://cullencommunications.ie/about-us/ ].

But your point is absolutely valid. All coaches, staff, players etc. have to have it drummed into them that the people they are communicating with are the fans, the people reading the articles, watching the interviews, going to the games and spending money on all of the above. It's not an individual journalist. 'The media' is the interface, not the person with whom you're trying to communicate.

The Argentine captain Fernandez Lobbe had a great manner in his post-match interviews: regardless of the first question that came his way, he would thank the interviewer, and then welcome those watching the broadcast. It was a routine - "Thank you for having me, and hello to all the viewers and the rugby fans watching". Written down, it sounds quite awkward and mannered, but it was polite, inclusive, and I guess a reminder to himself that he was addressing thousands of people, not just one journalist.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Harmless enough and good humoured. They can carry it while times are good like this. Wouldn't play well after a loss.

Probably worth it to bring the squad tighter and there was no dig at the IRFU.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Lots of the rugby journos seem to be on a diet of piss and vinegar this weather.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's gone mad with power. First he went for the Rangers supporting Glasgow fans and now he's after the journalists.

In fairness if he ends up taking his top off and shouting at Cummiskey and Ewan MacKenna in the press box then I'll be right behind him.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

In general it's a really good idea to keep the media onside but he is speaking from a position of strength in that his team are performing well, winning week in and week out. I thought Sexton's take on the Saracens (I paraphrase) "as far as we're concerned there's no question about their European titles, they were the best team in the competition when they won it and they were worthy winners against us etc." won a lot of friends and allows you to criticise other elements. Cullen looking for the wider welfare of the irish players by commenting, when it doesn't refer to him, on how the Irish players were targeted quite bitterly by a rather vindictive media which led an unquestioned narrative which swept the country that there was a simple solution and simple failure with the Irish WC campaign is fine by me.

And that narrative was bullshit. And bullshit left unchecked leads to unexpectedly sh!t results.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"vindictive media" + "unquestioned narrative" = "bullshit", which then "leads to unexpectedly sh!t results".

So it is all de meeja's fault, that we've never progressed beyond the quarter-finals of the RWC?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote:"vindictive media" + "unquestioned narrative" = "bullshit", which then "leads to unexpectedly sh!t results".

So it is all de meeja's fault, that we've never progressed beyond the quarter-finals of the RWC?
The meedja seem at least as culpable as a provincial coaching team??
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote:I think it is a harmless enough remark from Leo. He's very accomplished at dealing with the media - it's the family business [source: https://cullencommunications.ie/about-us/ ].

But your point is absolutely valid. All coaches, staff, players etc. have to have it drummed into them that the people they are communicating with are the fans, the people reading the articles, watching the interviews, going to the games and spending money on all of the above. It's not an individual journalist. 'The media' is the interface, not the person with whom you're trying to communicate.

The Argentine captain Fernandez Lobbe had a great manner in his post-match interviews: regardless of the first question that came his way, he would thank the interviewer, and then welcome those watching the broadcast. It was a routine - "Thank you for having me, and hello to all the viewers and the rugby fans watching". Written down, it sounds quite awkward and mannered, but it was polite, inclusive, and I guess a reminder to himself that he was addressing thousands of people, not just one journalist.

I enjoyed the last 15 seconds here. Sexton beside him sniggering obviously did too.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Gavin Cummisky is so up his own hole he could suffocate from his own farts.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/cumoski/status/1197 ... 36513?s=12
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

CiaranIrl wrote:Gavin Cummisky is so up his own hole he could suffocate from his own farts.

Case in point:

I'm not sure what he's on about when he says "Pettiness"?

It' a clear explanation of events. It may or may not be true but I don't see the pettiness.

Is it because Joe suggests JC's move to Munster was partly the IT's fault?

Am I missing something? :shock:
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I stopped listening to Off The Ball earlier this year, and switched to The42's podcast, and it's usually quite good. This week though, they dedicated <6 minutes (of a 56 minute podcast) to the Lyon-Leinster game!
No prizes for guessing what game got the most airtime.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Laighin Break wrote:I stopped listening to Off The Ball earlier this year, and switched to The42's podcast, and it's usually quite good. This week though, they dedicated <6 minutes (of a 56 minute podcast) to the Lyon-Leinster game!
It's the Irish home game so there's bigger buzz, the opposition is a bigger draw having been recent finalists and just beaten the current winners, and it has the added edge of two players Munster weren't willing to pay for who came through their ranks returning and facing off against players Munster bought in to replace them.
It's gonna get clicks and that's all commercial media cares about.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Twist wrote:I actually really liked the episodes he wasn't on during the WC!
Those we the ones where Tracey and O'Connor talked about how difficult it was for them to kick the players and coaches when they were down, but they had to cause it was their job?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote:I stopped listening to Off The Ball earlier this year, and switched to The42's podcast, and it's usually quite good. This week though, they dedicated <6 minutes (of a 56 minute podcast) to the Lyon-Leinster game!

I too was disappointed how little time they gave to our group. The match in the RDS vs Treviso was barely reviewed and the possibility of the Italian side beating Northampton not even touched. All the other stuff on the other three provinces plus Lyon was good, but still the lack of time given to Leinster was, IMO, annoying.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

CiaranIrl wrote:Gavin Cummisky is so up his own hole he could suffocate from his own farts.

Case in point:

The knives are out in full force for Joe among the Rugby journalists.

Possibly some sour grapes over being overlooked as a ghost writer.

More likely it's just an easy target.

It's comically fickle. If we had gotten to a RWC semi you know the articles would have been "a brilliant insight into a great coaching mind"

Further to this. The Irish media know they don't have to deal with Joe in pressers anymore. They can be as petty as they want with no worries of a backlash in press conferences or interviews. How brave of them :roll:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's deleted the two tweets he posted about Joe, presumably because every reply either called him a hypocrite or an a***hole :lol: