Ulster 2019-2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Ulster 2019-2020

Post by FLIP »

Ulster Rugby have announced that Iain Henderson has been named as the province’s captain for the 2019/20 season.

The 27-year-old, who is currently in Ireland’s training squad ahead of the upcoming Rugby World Cup, has represented his native Ulster on 105 occasions.

Henderson started his rugby journey at Academy RFC, before continuing his development at Belfast Royal Academy. His talent was further nurtured in the Abbey Insurance Ulster Academy and he played club rugby for Queen’s University and Ballynahinch.

The versatile forward represented Ulster and Ireland at various age-grade levels and made his senior provincial debut in April 2012 against Connacht.

Henderson has grown immensely in stature since then and has become a key figure for Ulster and Ireland, winning 44 caps for the latter. He played in four of Ireland’s games during the 2018 Six Nations Grand Slam success and also featured prominently in 2014 and 2015 Championship wins.

His excellent form at provincial and international level was rewarded with a call up to the British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand in 2017.
https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/07/25/he ... w-captain/
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2019-2020

Post by cormac »

Ulster getting hammered in Bloemfontein.

49-7 with half an hour left to play
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

cormac wrote:Ulster getting hammered in Bloemfontein.

49-7 with half an hour left to play
Think they are at 20+ missed tackles already. Shocking stuff.
Dont Panic!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

They got hosed but still managed to pick up a 4-try bonus point.

63-26 FT
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Ulster were absolutely rank especially in the pack. Perhaps the altitude and long journey took their toll but they were incredibly off the pace against a typically abrasive Cheetahs 8. I suppose they did well to eke out a tbp at the end thanks to some sympathetic reffing.

Cheetahs do look like a proper side and if they manage to put together a few wins on the road they will make the playoffs as they will rack up the 5 pointers from their home games
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I don't think I can emphasize enough how tough playing @1400m in Bloem is compared to sea level even for top level athletes.

Cheetahs are going to be seriously hard to beat at home.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Typically awesome defensive work from Stockdale. What a way to win
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Twist wrote:Typically awesome defensive work from Stockdale. What a way to win
Running back to fill the gap he created by shooting out and missing it by a mile.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Logorrhea wrote:
Twist wrote:Typically awesome defensive work from Stockdale. What a way to win
Running back to fill the gap he created by shooting out and missing it by a mile.
Never in doubt
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Addison was the one who got caught in no man's land. Stockdale rushing up caused a forward pass, not sure how it was missed. It was great defending from him and he did it all through the game. He was very quiet with ball in hand but defensively he was excellent and that last play was magic.

Addison was so mixed again. He had that awful defensive error at the end, missed the tackle really poorly for the Bath try, and dropped three high balls. As much as he was a threat with the ball and set up the try for Lyttle he makes an awful lot of errors. I find he often tries to turn 3 on 2s into 3 on 1s and missing out of the opportunity because of it. If he just gave an early pass every time instead of trying to run around someone and then trying to force a pass he'd be much better off.

It'll be interesting to see how they go next week. Clermont look as powerful and sharp as ever and I'm not sure that Ulster have the pack to cope. I'd be surprised if Lyttle plays but the idea of him up against Raka is...interesting.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I’d say they’re travelling more in hope than anything else. I know it’s very early days but with the final in the south of France I’d say Clermont will put everything into Europe.

Agree on Addison being mixed yesterday. It’s not a trend I’ve noticed with him before
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

I think that was the first time I've seen a lot of empty spaces at Clermont for a HC game and so the atmosphere wasn't as raucous as usual.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Was that Cooney who floored the no. 8 with a shoulder charge as he was making the pass?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:Was that Cooney who floored the no. 8 with a shoulder charge as he was making the pass?
Whilst Cooney and the No 8 collided, IMO Dellagio's interpretation on BT Sport was that this was an illegal "shoulder charge", which took out the supporting player. Cooney was on a diagonal cover line and the No 8 was in support of his winger who was ahead of him. A ' non-consequential collision' would have been my interpretation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Three times Clermont have grubber kicked in behind Ulster.
And three times it's been touch and go.
Last time it was nearly a try.
Addison was very slow to cross.
Coach needs to get a message out there asap.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

The Leinster contingent playing well for Ulster, JP Doyle just pipping Jordi for player of the first half, he has given them everything.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Should be further ahead though
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote:The Leinster contingent playing well for Ulster, JP Doyle just pipping Jordi for player of the first half, he has given them everything.
He has certainly evened that up in second half.

Totally ignored offside line from Clermont.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Clermont gonna Clermont.

If they're looking for their bottle, its probably in Marty Moores pocket along with Slimani
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Billy Burns is much improved from last season I must say.
Great win for the wildlings, all 18pts from Leinster old boys. :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!