Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

Post by wixfjord »

I presume VDF got MOTM?

Thought he, Rhys, Ryan were our pick of the bunch.

Deegan was in and out of the game. Nice few runs but that type of game doesn't suit him.

McGrath was really poor. Lots of unforced errors that could've cost us.

Centre partnership fairly mixed. Thought Ringer had a few nice breaks and Henshaw was solid in defence.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Relieved we got out of there with a win. It was looking very dicey at times. Maybe it just me, but for me the coverage was ruined by continuous shots of assorted pitch side Lyon coaches bursting their bloodvessels. Can they not just banish those guys all up to the stands, ffs! If I wanted to watched coaches having temper tantrums on the side of the pitch I'd watch soccer - which I don't!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:I presume VDF got MOTM?

Deegan was in and out of the game. Nice few runs but that type of game doesn't suit him.

Centre partnership fairly mixed. Thought Ringer had a few nice breaks and Henshaw was solid in defence.
Sexton was MOTM.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great result. Adequate performance, with JVdF, Rhys, James R & Cian superb. Tadgh's scrum work and tackling need work because Porter was a big improvement. Luke looked out of sorts. J10 and Ringer looked sharp and competitive but made mistakes also. RK was the right selection for the game but Robbie H needs game time and James L has lost a half metre in acceleration. Max Deegan had a really good first half but a few mistakes later, particularly at back of the scrum.

A hard tough opposition pack who have bullied every pack in France over the past two Season in Lyon. Really good to keep them tryless, despite some tough calls against our mauls.

Really good tactical display and everything we did looked like we were making sure not to give their crowd any oxygen. Great win. Second very tough work out for our pack and really pleased at how well Kelleher & Deegan are learning at this level.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

wixfjord wrote:
I presume VDF got MOTM?

Johnny did but VDF should have
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Any links to post match interviews/presser yet?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

OTT wrote:Any links to post match interviews/presser yet?
https://www.facebook.com/25793755239/po ... 513700240/
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Laighin Break wrote:
OTT wrote:Any links to post match interviews/presser yet?
https://www.facebook.com/25793755239/po ... 513700240/
Great. Thanks.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

tingman wrote:Relax guys - we are going to win this.
This man knows things. We should treasure him..........

........... or burn him as a witch! :shock:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Tough game and a good result. They don't have big names or play an attractive brand of rugby, but they're leading the Top14 and it was a Top14-type of game – a real manupathon!

It has been a while since I saw such a single-minded brand of rugby. Even when Saracens were kicking the leather off the ball five or six years ago, they had more variety in attack when they were inside the opposition 10m line. Lyon were old-fashioned in their devotion to kicking and mauling - it wasn't quite 10 man rugby because they had kicking options further out than the outhalf, but it was very strict. Interesting to see that sort of style and how we coped with it.

JVDF the man of the match for me, a really outstanding display. My other takeaway from the game will be Sexton's monster hit on Fearns and then that half-funny, half tetchy four-way conversation afterwards ... I couldn't catch it all, but it sounded like he was needling Fearns a good bit instead of being too chummy-chummy. Good old Grumpy Johnny!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Also, Cooney should be moved to Leinster to partner Sexton "for the good of Irish rugby".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Any win in France is a bonus for us. However it was a very poor game and its hard to see us as 2020 Champions elect atm. McGraths two errors off rolling mauls in the 2nd half were very frustrating. We made lots of errors across the team tbf, thankfully Lyon are sh!te.
Well done boys.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I thought several of Pearse's calls of maul collapse were dubious. Not sure how many pens he gave for that offence. There was one in particular where he called out Healy. Contrast with Carley in the Munster game who didn't call any.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

hugonaut wrote:Also, Cooney should be moved to Leinster to partner Sexton "for the good of Irish rugby".
The difference in them both at the moment is huge. McGrath makes mistakes a rookie would make while cooney continues to get better and better. Starting jgp in the saints match should be the right call as Luke nearly cost us a couple of times today.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

hugonaut wrote:Also, Cooney should be moved to Leinster to partner Sexton "for the good of Irish rugby".
Indeed - our situation at 9 is starting to become a little worrying.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oul Luke (he's not a kid anymore) often backs up a shocker with a sustained spell of excellence. Let's give him a chance. We're top of both tables, lets not be panicin now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut wrote:Also, Cooney should be moved back to Leinster to partner Sexton "for the good of Irish rugby".
Fixed that for you
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Not a pretty game but a super mature performance from Leinster. Lyon played old school maul em to death rugby and we stood up to them in every area. Ref was harsh on a number of our maul penalties. VDF exceptional, Deegan and Ruddock not far behind and Ryan exceptional too. Lyon expected to batter us to death yet got nowhere, our defense was excellent. Conditions not good so go easy on some of the handling errors and Luke, not a day for slick handling. Just a day to get the job done and go home. Classic away win in the HC on a mucky day.

Things looking good.....and there is plenty more in the tank.

Cheer up all !!
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

A tough away win in France in poor conditions against their league leaders, I'm delighted with that. Our defense alone was worth watching.

My main gripe was the camera work failing to follow open play. Notable screw-ups were when Sexton's penalty came off the posts, and at least once when Lyon took a quick throw-in. I think they were showing a replay on the throw-in.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote:Oul Luke (he's not a kid anymore) often backs up a shocker with a sustained spell of excellence. Let's give him a chance. We're top of both tables, lets not be panicin now.
Regression to the mean