U20 Club 2019/20

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: U20 Club 2019/20

Post by TrapperChamonix »

R3
MU Barnhall 14 - 47 Lansdowne
Old Belvedere 51 - 3 Terenure
Old Wesley 0 - 36 DUFC
UCD 21 - 35 Clontarf

So Trinity & Lansdowne sit on top of the log with 3 wins and 14 points. Terenure and Clontarf are 3rd / 4th on 2 win and 10 points. Belvo on 7 points,Old Wesley & UCD on 2 and Barnhall 0.
Belvo come storming back with a big win. But the unsolveable puzzle is Belvo drew with OW in R1, Terenure beat OW 36 - 13 in R2 and OB beat 'Nure 51 - 3 in R3. Perhaps there is some changing of players through team selections or injuries, Sam Illo (is that correct spelling) was not playing for Old Wesley yesterday. But its hard to follow the OB, OW form line through R1 - R3.
Clontarf will be very pleased with the win in Belfield. Notably, Prop Johnny Bell lined out at 12, and by all accounts did a pretty good job. An extremely talanted footballer as he is, its still a big ask for a prop to do that. I suspect there was a lot of "your man" shouts from the UCD midfield when he was running a hard line.
Lansdowne seem to be warming to the task again this year (is it ever any different). Trinity are starting to gel. Impressive performances from Alex Soroko at 8 & Luis Faria at 13. Also a mention for Fionn Finlay coming off the bench. I wonder how long before he gets elevated to the AIL senior team.

There is a break in the P1 next weekend. MU Barnhall, UCD and DUFC play the Conroy Cup along with Queens, NUIG and UCC. I believe it is in Terenure.

Round4 is 3rd Nov.
One big defeat doesn't make a bad team (I remember Trinity loosing 50 - 7 v's UCD last year) but Terenure have another difficult away fixture to Clontarf next up followed by Trinity and Lansdowne. So they are entering a key section of matches.
On the face of it Lansdowne would favourites to come out on top against Old Wesley. UCD and MU Barnhall are chasing their 1st win in Belfield.
But the tie of the round will see Old Belvedere travel to College Park to take on Trinity. Word out of Ollie Campbell Park is that there is a still a lot of come from this Belvo team, so what better time to show it over the next 2 weeks against Trinity and Lansdowne.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

thanks for the update.

interesting to see Soroka is playing 8.. certainly could be where he settles or possibly at 6.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:thanks for the update.

interesting to see Soroka is playing 8.. certainly could be where he settles or possibly at 6.
Don’t think there’s a professional number 8 taller than Soroka, very exciting prospect, he has very good offloads aswell,you can tell his coaches in his former school(Belvo) are from New Zealand just by looking at the way he plays
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Pilotman123 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:thanks for the update.

Don’t think there’s a professional number 8 taller than Soroka, very exciting prospect, he has very good offloads aswell,you can tell his coaches in his former school(Belvo) are from New Zealand just by looking at the way he plays
Even with his height, he does carry well in contact and as you say offloads very well.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

UCD side who lost:

UCD: 15 Sean Power; 14 Alex O’Grady; 13 Josh O’Connor; 12 Frank O’Grady; 11 Ben White; 10 Tadhg Murtagh; 9 Shane Murphy; 1 Chris Hennessy (Capt); 2 Killian McQuaid; 3 Jack Dempsey; 4 Gavin Dowling; 5 Jack Coolican, 6 Sean O’Brien; 7 Gavin Meagher; 8 Mark Fleming. Replacements: 16 Dan Humphreys; 17 Calum Doyle; 18 Joe Cronin; 19 Tadhg St Leger-Quinn; 20 Rob Gilsenen; 21 Tim Corkery; 22 Jay Barron.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Conroy Cup 2019
1st Game: 12:30

Pool A
NUIG
UCD
UCC

Pool B
Maynooth
DUFC
Queens University
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

As is the nature of this competition the results tend to be very tight. But the deserved winners were UCD with a 7 - 6 win over Trinity in the final. Their 1st win in 6 years. A special mention for UCC who drew with UCD in their pool game.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Nov 3rd

Clontarf 17 - 13 Terenure
DUFC 17 - 16 Old Belvedere
UCD 53 - 0 Barnhall
Lansdowne 35 - 5 Old Wesley

Tight enough win for Tarf suggests that Terenure have bounced back from their previous weeks defeat (though I hear that loss was a lot closer up till 65mins).
In a very scrappy game, Belvo will feel that they let that one slip between their fingers. An intercept try gave Trinity a 6 point lead and even though Belvo returned with a try of their own, the conversion went wide. Even then they have a penalty in over time. They went for the line out and when they couldn't muscle over their chance was gone. A goal kick may have been a better decision.
UCD shook off recent disappointment to record a thumping away win. Did they drop players down from the 1st, or has last weeks Conroy Cup victory instilled the confidence they needed.
Lansdowne win with bonus point to put themselves top of the league table.

Team Wins Points
Lansdowne 4 19
DUFC 4 18
Clontarf 3 14
Terenure 2 11
Old Belvo 1 8
UCD 1 7
Old Wesley 0 2
Barnhall 0 0

Week 5 throws up some match ups which will start to shape the look of the table.
5 v 1 as Lansdowne are away to Old Belvo . Its been plain sailing for Lansdowne, but Belvo's form line is on the up.
and 4 v 2 as Trinity are away to Terenure. Terenure have lost their last 2 games but will have gained some confidence from a 4 point loss away to Clontarf. While Trinity will have to up their game as they head in to games arainst 'Nure, 'Tarf & Lansdowne.
Clontarf away to Barnhall should be straightforward and UCD should win away to Old Wesley but that one is closer to call.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

10th Nov
Old Wesley 22 - 48 UCD
Barnhall 13 - 35 Clontarf
Old Belvedere 10 - 33 Lansdowne
Tereniure 20 - 38 DUFC

So, no surprises this week. Lansdowne, Trinity & Clontarf consolidating their grip on the top of the table. UCD putting up a big score for the 2nd week in a row to move them above Terenure into 4th.
Team Wins Points
Lansdowne 5 24
DUFC 5 23
Clontarf 4 19
UCD 2 12
Terenure 2 11
Old Belvo 1 8
Old Wesley 0 2
Barnhall 0 0

The next 3 weeks before the Christmas break sees some big clashes.
Top 3: Trinity plan Clontarf, Lansdowne and UCD. Lansdowne have Terenure, Trinity and Clontarf. Clontarf have Trinity, Old Wesley and Lansdowne.
Middle 3: UCD play Old Belvo and Terenure in the next 2 weeks. Those results will give us a clearer picture as to the most likely 4th place team to qualify for the Fraser McMullen
Bottom 2: As wins prove difficult for Barnhall and Old Wesley, their clash in Parsonstown next week will have large significance going in to the 2nd half of the season.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Is there an AIL forum?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Pilotman123 wrote:Is there an AIL forum?
ail thread yeah. Forum as in a full discussion forum no as no need.
20s needs revamp or better work in other provinces though connacht tbf have decent enough opps for clubs to play some 20s games each season if not in a 15 man league with game a week for season
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

ormond lad wrote:
20s needs revamp or better work in other provinces though connacht tbf have decent enough opps for clubs to play some 20s games each season if not in a 15 man league with game a week for season
Cheers mate, could you send me a link to the thread?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Pilotman123 wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
Cheers mate, could you send me a link to the thread?
It’s in the Domestic Rugby section
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Clontarf 28 - 22 DUFC
Lansdowne 31 - 10 Terenure
Barnhall 12 - 15 Old Wesley
UCD 18 - 15 Old Belvedere

Good win for Clontarf. It would be wrong to characterise this as Tarf forwards v Trinity backs, especially as the try to put Clontarf in front was a free flowing move starting in their own 22. But Clontarfs lineout dominance and their magnificent lineout maul really was a deciding factor in the game. Trinity added to that advantage by conceding a host of needless penalties. Any way you look at it, a very good bonus point win for Clontarf
Elsewhere Old Belvo lose with the last kick of the game. Not sure how many close games they have come out the wrong side of this year. I believe it was similar last year as well.
Lansdowne v Terenure was much as expected. While Old Wesley's win away to Barnhall puts them a full 5 points ahead of Barnhall. That could be significant as points fro these teams have been hard to come by.

Team Wins Points
Lansdowne 6 29
DUFC 5 24
Clontarf 5 24
UCD 3 16
Terenure 2 11
Old Belvo 1 9
Old Wesley 1 6
Barnhall 0 1
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Clontarf 28 - 22 DUFC

Good win for Clontarf. It would be wrong to characterise this as Tarf forwards v Trinity backs, especially as the try to put Clontarf in front was a free flowing move starting in their own 22. But Clontarfs lineout dominance and their magnificent lineout maul really was a deciding factor in the game. Trinity added to that advantage by conceding a host of needless penalties. Any way you look at it, a very good bonus point win for Clontarf
Elsewhere Old Belvo lose with the last kick of the game. Not sure how many close games they have come out the wrong side of this year. I believe it was similar last year as well.
Lansdowne v Terenure was much as expected. While Old Wesley's win away to Barnhall puts them a full 5 points ahead of Barnhall. That could be significant as points fro these teams have been hard to come by.

Team Wins Points
Lansdowne 6 29
DUFC 5 24
Clontarf 5 24
UCD 3 16
Terenure 2 11
Old Belvo 1 9
Old Wesley 1 6
Barnhall 0 1
Old Belvedere u20s have to be one of the most unluckiest teams I’ve ever seen. Feel for them. A lot of talent in that team but can’t seem to close out games at the moment against the top 4 teams like UCD, Tarf, Trinity and Landsdowne , the same story as last year. Hopefully in the next few games they can play for the full 80 minutes instead of playing 70 minutes. They need to be disciplined aswell. Hopefully this is a learning curve for them and they bounce back because they do have the talent. They never went into half time losing this year.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Pilotman123 wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:Clontarf 28 - 22 DUFC

Team Wins Points
Lansdowne 6 29
DUFC 5 24
Clontarf 5 24
UCD 3 16
Terenure 2 11
Old Belvo 1 9
Old Wesley 1 6
Barnhall 0 1
Old Belvedere u20s have to be one of the most unluckiest teams I’ve ever seen. Feel for them. A lot of talent in that team but can’t seem to close out games at the moment against the top 4 teams like UCD, Tarf, Trinity and Landsdowne , the same story as last year. Hopefully in the next few games they can play for the full 80 minutes instead of playing 70 minutes. They need to be disciplined aswell. Hopefully this is a learning curve for them and they bounce back because they do have the talent. They never went into half time losing this year.
There's a very clear top 4/bottom 4 split. UCD have impressed me the most of any team but I've only seen them once and you never know which team you will get.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

the spoofer wrote:
There's a very clear top 4/bottom 4 split. UCD have impressed me the most of any team but I've only seen them once and you never know which team you will get.
Have you seen many others? I've not seen Lansdowne yet, but going on results, they are the pace setters.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
Have you seen many others? I've not seen Lansdowne yet, but going on results, they are the pace setters.
Yeah, I've seen most of them. I think UCD started slowly but they are the sharpest from what I've seen. Tarf are big, strong and well organised. UCD have the greatest cutting edge.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

the spoofer wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
Yeah, I've seen most of them. I think UCD started slowly but they are the sharpest from what I've seen. Tarf are big, strong and well organised. UCD have the greatest cutting edge.
Players to look out for UCD? Who stands out ?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Any update/thoughts on the other 20s divisions? At least leinster run these unlike Munster.