Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by blockhead »

Sorry, Dean.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

When the new confs were announced we all thought it would be a right oul tussle between ourselves and Glasgow for top spot. After 7 games they are 18 pts behind us. Can't see them making top spot now. Top 3 looks difficult too, Cheetahs have Zebre away next then Kings back to back before they come to the RDS in Feb.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The BT money might be spent by now. Its no surprise Glasgow improved dramatically after the SRU received £20m (?) From BT to get the Scottish on board the new champions cup.

They need to start spending a bit otherwise they'll be just like the Welsh regions. 4 Irish teams leading the league isn't great for the league but good for us.

Their U20s got relegated from the U20 world championship which doesn't bide well. Glasgow's rise was good for the league.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RWC disruption though. We've only dropped 2 points so far too. It doesnttake long to open a gap.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

dropkick wrote:The BT money might be spent by now. Its no surprise Glasgow improved dramatically after the SRU received £20m (?) From BT to get the Scottish on board the new champions cup.

They need to start spending a bit otherwise they'll be just like the Welsh regions. 4 Irish teams leading the league isn't great for the league but good for us.

Their U20s got relegated from the U20 world championship which doesn't bide well. Glasgow's rise was good for the league.
Glasgow showed Munster a clean pair of heels the last 2 seasons in their conf and made the final earlier this summer.
Matawalu at 11 is a real handful, stretched us everytime he got the ball. Less decision making to mess up out on the wing than at 9.
Also, our scrum was very good last night, even when the subs came on. Sign of the new guy making his mark I hope.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:
dropkick wrote:The BT money might be spent by now. Its no surprise Glasgow improved dramatically after the SRU received £20m (?) From BT to get the Scottish on board the new champions cup.

Glasgow showed Munster a clean pair of heels the last 2 seasons in their conf and made the final earlier this summer.
Matawalu at 11 is a real handful, stretched us everytime he got the ball. Less decision making to mess up out on the wing than at 9.
Also, our scrum was very good last night, even when the subs came on. Sign of the new guy making his mark I hope.

There was a time when Ospreys were winning the league regularly and look them now. Glasgow are still a good team but losing Hogg was massive. Rennie is getting a bit of stick from their fans now.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Zebre's 12-39 victory over Dragons in Rodney Parade is their first win in the league since October 26th, 2018. More than 13 months ago
How the fup is Bradley still in a job?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Mike Ruddock taking over at Ospreys
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

blockhead wrote:Mike Ruddock taking over at Ospreys
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 46691.html

He's a fantastic coach who should have been involved at a higher level of the game after leaving Wales.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Disappointing to hear Darren Cave and BOD big up the premiership and talk down the pro14 this week. Apart from Saracens none of their teams have looked great for a long time. No consideration was giving to it being a world cup year which hits the pro14 the hardest.

I believe many of the Welsh problems have come about as a result of talk. If you talk something down for long enough then it will start to have negative results. Pump enough toxins into a lake, don't expect an abundance of fish down the line. We have been good here in Ireland in promoting the league, in general.

So instead of comparing the pro14 to the premiership and top14, just appreciate it for what it is. I mean we could have a soccer style system where all the players move to England and France and a semi amateur style club league.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster v Leinster in TP on Dec 28th is a sell out.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

French newspaper Midi Olympique are today (Monday) claiming that Glasgow Warriors Managing Director Nathan Bombrys made contact with the player (Nakarawa) while in France for Saturday’s Heineken Champions Cup win in La Rochelle and made an offer to the former European Player of the Year.
The rugby newspaper is reporting that Nakarawa has verbally accepted the offer.
Huge for Glasgow if true. Exactly what they need.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:
French newspaper Midi Olympique are today (Monday) claiming that Glasgow Warriors Managing Director Nathan Bombrys made contact with the player (Nakarawa) while in France for Saturday’s Heineken Champions Cup win in La Rochelle and made an offer to the former European Player of the Year.
He's godfather to Ryan Wilson kid(s) and has been back in Glasgow a few times since he left. If he's willing to take a massive pay cut we do love our FijiWeegies....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:
Sale are chasing him too. But, If Glasgow can agree something with him re matches per season he's likely to accept it. Apparently he was unhappy with the workload from Racing 60 games in 2 season with little lay up or even a chance to go home to see his elderly parents.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

paddyor wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Sale are chasing him too. But, If Glasgow can agree something with him re matches per season he's likely to accept it. Apparently he was unhappy with the workload from Racing 60 games in 2 season with little lay up or even a chance to go home to see his elderly parents.
I thought Sale said something over the weekend that they were chasing him but that is was unlikely to happen
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My reading of this is that he got sacked on purpose. I wonder if there's any issue with not being able to play for anyone for a while or does a sacking just mean that's free immediately?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My reading of this is that he got sacked on purpose. I wonder if there's any issue with not being able to play for anyone for a while or does a sacking just mean that's free immediately?
As I understand it, between the international call-ups over the Summer and the RWC he basically didn't get any time off to go home and his dad is bit sickly. So he basically walked off the job and Racing told him not to come back.

Didin't they have that thing with Goosen a few years ago?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

kermischocolate wrote: He's godfather to Ryan Wilson kid(s) and has been back in Glasgow a few times since he left. If he's willing to take a massive pay cut we do love our FijiWeegies....
Looks more likely now that he will return to Glasgow. Even Bayonne are saying it. Glad we got the jump on them in the league.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Liam Williams to rejoin Scarlets. The first unravelling of Salarycens?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Ospreys v Cardiff on in the background. Each break in play they play a song.

4 days before Christmas there is a myriad of uplifting joyous and triumphant songs.

So why oh why play Band Aid "Do they Know it's Christmas?"

I understand it is for charity but the song hardly lifts the spirits in an empty stadium.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!