Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Connacht 2019/20

Post by OTT »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The real solution won't happen. Convince Josh Murphy to go on loan to Connacht for the rest of this Season, with the incentive of selection to go on Irish Tour in June.

Leinster can survive with Ruddock, Fardy, Toner, Ryan, Baird and Dowling to cover 5/6. Josh, Connors and Penny competing for No 7 and Doris, Deegan soon to be re-joined by Conan in competition for No 8.

Murphy has the physique, technique and engine to play international No 6. But he won't get sufficient game time in Leinster to fulfill his potential. Connacht could give him top European fare at No 6 and Pro14 experience at 5 and 6.

However, unless it works with his medical training, it might be a complete non-runner.
That is a bit dismissive of Murphy’s contribution to Leinster this season where he has been almost an ever present in our match day 23 in the Pro 14, appearing in 8 out of 9 of our games so far (6 starts and 2 subs). On current form he is on course to make the Pro 14 team of the season at 6. Maybe the time will come for him to look to push on for higher honors at the end of the season but I don’t think it’s in the middle of what is a very successful season for him at Leinster he is one injury away from being our starting 6 in Europe on current form and Leo and Lancaster have picked on form. It would be an absolute disaster from Leinster’s POV at the very least. He would get max 2 more European games this season if he jumped to Connacht, that is if they chose to pick him. He is in our European squad and played against Lyon could he even be picked for theirs?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's cup tied
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Deleted post.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I wonder will there be a citing for the hair pull on Joe Tomane by Niall Murray in the lead up to Luke McGraths try - happens at 29 mins 50 secs.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote:I wonder will there be a citing for the hair pull on Joe Tomane by Niall Murray in the lead up to Luke McGraths try - happens at 29 mins 50 secs.
I thought the shoulder to head of Rhyss Ruddock was far more obvious and far worse, but yeah
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:I wonder will there be a citing for the hair pull on Joe Tomane by Niall Murray in the lead up to Luke McGraths try - happens at 29 mins 50 secs.
I thought the shoulder to head of Rhyss Ruddock was far more obvious and far worse, but yeah
Just watching the replay and now I know why TMO didn’t refer any incidents to referee - it was Neil Patterson!!!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Red card offence?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

ronk wrote:
Red card offence?
Hair pulling is a red card offence

Also, on rewatching I just realised that he had his hair pulled a second time. Copeland snagged him just before our last try (74 mins 46 secs approx)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht losing one of their top players next season with Fainga off to Lyon. Big loss for Connacht. According to the42 Friend is looking overseas to replace him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Big day for Connacht today and weather could play a major part. Nothing knocks skills harder than a strong cross-wind and that, with driving rain, is the current weather at 8 a.m. in Galway. Let's hope this stays for the day.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Great start, but can anyone in England stop saying ‘Con-nought’?

Its Connacht. Just follow the letters!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Fighting hard against a very talented Toulouse who have had some super offloads. 7-7 and both have had a man binned.

Connacht have the wrong SH on the pitch for this game but their scrum looks better than Ulster's did.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Toulouse still managing to play some great rugby in atrocious conditions but they're just pushing it a little bit too much.

Carty is looking more like his old self, some lovely touches.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

And now I've jinxed Carty too!

Very ragged stuff from Connacht.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although I acknowledge that Connacht can never have a Squad as deep as others, what was evident yesterday is that their aerobic fitness appears to have gone backwards since November. During last Season and again at the beginning of this Season, they really looked fitter than other teams and their fitness complemented the style they were playing.

Yesterday and last weekend, they looked like they didn't have the legs to play the game at the pace they wanted. Commentators were emphasising that they were trying to execute a 'hard press defence' against Toulouse and indeed this had some impact, but too many of the team seemed unable to maintain the pace of this approach which was exactly how they looked against Leinster in first half last weekend.

I don't buy the line that media have been easy on Andy Friend. I think he has improved so many elements in Connacht, there have been plenty of positives on which to focus. But looking at yesterday, the players with sufficient skill to be in an Irish Camp, but may have a problem with top-level fitness, included Paddy McAllister, Finlay Bealham and Gavin Thornberry. Ultan Dillane looked strong and dynamic, as initially did Paul Boyle and Dave Heffernan. But Connacht must all be fitter than everyone else if they are to yield key results from their Squad.

The Injury List has been fairly long but, just possibly, there may be a connection between both aspects - fitness and injuries. Connacht wouldn't be the first Club in which players have been returned to playing before they achieve the optimum fitness level. If this happens regularly, injuries become a self-fulfilling prophesy and the two elements undermine progress in all other aspects.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4137528

irish times just reported they snagged a cool 20million euro. they can afford Farrell, Itoje and Gallagher (full back) now!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits » January 12th, 2020, 9:53 am
Although I acknowledge that Connacht can never have a Squad as deep as others, what was evident yesterday is that their aerobic fitness appears to have gone backwards since November. During last Season and again at the beginning of this Season, they really looked fitter than other teams and their fitness complemented the style they were playing.

Yesterday and last weekend, they looked like they didn't have the legs to play the game at the pace they wanted. Commentators were emphasising that they were trying to execute a 'hard press defence' against Toulouse and indeed this had some impact, but too many of the team seemed unable to maintain the pace of this approach which was exactly how they looked against Leinster in first half last weekend.

I don't buy the line that media have been easy on Andy Friend. I think he has improved so many elements in Connacht, there have been plenty of positives on which to focus. But looking at yesterday, the players with sufficient skill to be in an Irish Camp, but may have a problem with top-level fitness, included Paddy McAllister, Finlay Bealham and Gavin Thornberry. Ultan Dillane looked strong and dynamic, as initially did Paul Boyle and Dave Heffernan. But Connacht must all be fitter than everyone else if they are to yield key results from their Squad.

The Injury List has been fairly long but, just possibly, there may be a connection between both aspects - fitness and injuries. Connacht wouldn't be the first Club in which players have been returned to playing before they achieve the optimum fitness level. If this happens regularly, injuries become a self-fulfilling prophesy and the two elements undermine progress in all other aspects.
I think a part of the problem is that they've literally had bugger all people to train against. You can get in academy and others but it's not the same as playing against top level hardened players. Leinster in that respect is lucky that we've so much quality to keep up standards. I think Connacht need a big name signing next year (like munster) just to keep competitive but doubt it will happen.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Some dog in that Connacht team - 21-0 down and they score three brilliant tries to level it at half time. Porch's finish for the second and Aki's offload for the third were things of beauty
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently Copeland is rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season. As well as Masterson whose being wooed by the Scottish Rugby Union to declare for Scotland. If he goes that means that Connacht is down 3 backrowers next season as Colby Fainga is off to France. Even if Friend gets someone from overseas to replace Colby he'll still need two more minimum. I can imagine someone from Leinster will be sought after by them.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Anyone see the red card that Peter Robb got this weekend? Talk about a home town decision, if that's the kind of refereeing teams are getting down there then the Pro 14 needs to take a long look at its rostering of officials because that's crazy all day long.