Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:Not sure where to put this but apparently SRU head honcho Dodson is on Delaney wages apparently. 450k+ basic with a bonus to double that. For offloading Hogg on Exeter?
Apparently the 500k extra was an accrual of bonuses for off field performance (let's face it, it isn't for on field!) for the past 3 years.
Without knowing what targets were set /hit /achieved it's difficult to know how much piss has been taken.
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

blockhead wrote: Barca in La Liga, Real Madrid in Champs League, Bayern in Bundesliga, All Blacks, Saracens in English prem. They all dominate, or have dominated in the past, their respective competitions.
And then the likes of AC Milan who were so dominant, and now a bag of shite. Same with Arsenal and Man U - though to a lesser extent. Not many teams dominate over multiple decades. I’ll enjoy our time in the sun; you never know when it’ll rain next.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sionnach wrote:
blockhead wrote: Barca in La Liga, Real Madrid in Champs League, Bayern in Bundesliga, All Blacks, Saracens in English prem. They all dominate, or have dominated in the past, their respective competitions.
And then the likes of AC Milan who were so dominant, and now a bag of shite. Same with Arsenal and Man U - though to a lesser extent. Not many teams dominate over multiple decades. I’ll enjoy our time in the sun; you never know when it’ll rain next.
Absolutely agree.

Lourdes won the Bouclier de Brennus in 1952, 1953, 1956, 1957, 1958 and 1960 [6 times in 9 years]; Béziers won it in 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1984 [10 times in 14 years].

Bath won the John Player/Pilkington Cup 10 times in 13 seasons from 1983-84 to 1995-96, and the Courage League 6 times in 8 seasons from 1988-89 to 1995-96.

Leicester won 4 premierships in a row from 1998-99 to 2001-02 [and two European Cups in the same period], and then competed in nine straight Premiership finals from 2004-05 to 2012-13, winning four of them.

All of those teams probably seemed indestructible at the time. I'm old enough to remember the mid-to-late Bath side and all of Leicester's success. Leicester are 11th in the Premiership at the moment, and the only reason they're not bottom is because of Saracen's huge points deduction. Look on my works ye mighty and despair etc.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
Sionnach wrote:
Absolutely agree.

Lourdes won the Bouclier de Brennus in 1952, 1953, 1956, 1957, 1958 and 1960 [6 times in 9 years]; Béziers won it in 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1984 [10 times in 14 years].

Bath won the John Player/Pilkington Cup 10 times in 13 seasons from 1983-84 to 1995-96, and the Courage League 6 times in 8 seasons from 1988-89 to 1995-96.

Leicester won 4 premierships in a row from 1998-99 to 2001-02 [and two European Cups in the same period], and then competed in nine straight Premiership finals from 2004-05 to 2012-13, winning four of them.

All of those teams probably seemed indestructible at the time. I'm old enough to remember the mid-to-late Bath side and all of Leicester's success. Leicester are 11th in the Premiership at the moment, and the only reason they're not bottom is because of Saracen's huge points deduction. Look on my works ye mighty and despair etc.
Without doing any research on the above its a fair bet that lack of succession planning was at the core of the subsequent declines allied, no doubt, to all of those clubs having special players.
Martin Johnston at Leicester being a good example.
It doesn't mean that the same thing is guaranteed to happen to Leinster because you then have teans like Liverpool, Kerry, Kilkenny and Brazil who will always be there or thereabouts, may have the odd dip even but always come back.
Leinster, starting with Joe, in particular, and continuing with the current coaches may be able to break into the latter group.
Leinster are certainly, potentially, at the start of building such a dynasty.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Shades of Gray, Richie replacing Johnny next season at Glasgow.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote:
Sionnach wrote:
Absolutely agree.

My original point was that these teams were lauded and celebrated by their fans an admired by all for their great exploits.
With Leinster though there is a sizable cohort out there who are "uncomfortable" with winning just 2 in a row. The Pro14 had 4 different winners in 4 seasons then we be go back-to-back and its a joke of a league because it's too easy.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

blockhead wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Sionnach wrote: And then the likes of AC Milan who were so dominant, and now a bag of shite. Same with Arsenal and Man U - though to a lesser extent. Not many teams dominate over multiple decades. I’ll enjoy our time in the sun; you never know when it’ll rain next.
Absolutely agree.

My original point was that these teams were lauded and celebrated by their fans an admired by all for their great exploits.
With Leinster though there is a sizable cohort out there who are "uncomfortable" with winning just 2 in a row. The Pro14 had 4 different winners in 4 seasons then we be go back-to-back and its a joke of a league because it's too easy.
Totally agree, and added to that the teams that have been winning - Glasgow, Connacht, “The” Scarlets - have been doing it playing really exciting rugby
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I think folks are more concerned with how shite everyone else is
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Twist wrote: Totally agree, and added to that the teams that have been winning - Glasgow, Connacht, “The” Scarlets - have been doing it playing really exciting rugby
Yeah. They can throw the ball around with gay abandon because they don't have relegation. :lol:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:
Twist wrote: Totally agree, and added to that the teams that have been winning - Glasgow, Connacht, “The” Scarlets - have been doing it playing really exciting rugby
Yeah. They can throw the ball around with gay abandon because they don't have relegation. :lol:
We should get relegation into the Pro14, it sounds so cool. :wink:
Peg Leg wrote:I think folks are more concerned with how shite everyone else is
It's all relative.
Liverpool, unbeaten in over a year in their league, running away with the title.
Is it
a) amazing, what a team.
b) how can 1 team be so dominant, the rest of them must be cr@p

This can be applied to many leagues in many codes
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IT

CVC must reveal Six Nations interest before Pro14 bid
Consumer watchdog approves investment giant’s bid for minority stake in Celtic Rugby

Global investment giant CVC must tell regulators if it intends taking a controlling stake in the Six Nations rugby competition as a condition of being allowed bid for a stake in the Pro14 tournament owner.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) has approved CVC’s bid for a minority stake in Celtic Rugby, the Irish company that owns the Pro14 competition, which involves clubs from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy and South Africa.
Mergers

Following media reports that CVC was interested in bidding for control of the prestigious Six Nations series, the investor pledged that it would notify the commission of any such bid, even if it does not meet the threshold at which businesses are obliged to report mergers to the watchdog.

“The CCPC is of the view that the commitment obtained from CVC is appropriate and effective in addressing the identified potential competition concern,” a statement said.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote:IT

CVC must reveal Six Nations interest before Pro14 bid
Consumer watchdog approves investment giant’s bid for minority stake in Celtic Rugby

Global investment giant CVC must tell regulators if it intends taking a controlling stake in the Six Nations rugby competition as a condition of being allowed bid for a stake in the Pro14 tournament owner.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) has approved CVC’s bid for a minority stake in Celtic Rugby, the Irish company that owns the Pro14 competition, which involves clubs from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy and South Africa.
Mergers

Following media reports that CVC was interested in bidding for control of the prestigious Six Nations series, the investor pledged that it would notify the commission of any such bid, even if it does not meet the threshold at which businesses are obliged to report mergers to the watchdog.

“The CCPC is of the view that the commitment obtained from CVC is appropriate and effective in addressing the identified potential competition concern,” a statement said.
The Pro 14 involves clubs from France?? Wow, never noticed that....
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cheetahs pip poor oul Kings 30-31 with 2 late converted tries. Probably get a TBP next week too and move 7 points clear of Glasgow who are fourth in the table now.
Cheetahs have 7 home games left and another trip to the Kings to come.
Glasgow might have to fight it out in a playoff to get in next years Heino.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

blockhead wrote:Cheetahs pip poor oul Kings 30-31 with 2 late converted tries. Probably get a TBP next week too and move 7 points clear of Glasgow who are fourth in the table now.
Cheetahs can't qualify for the Champions' Cup, can they?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Schumi wrote:
blockhead wrote:Cheetahs pip poor oul Kings 30-31 with 2 late converted tries. Probably get a TBP next week too and move 7 points clear of Glasgow who are fourth in the table now.
No
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote:
Schumi wrote:
No
Sorry, of course you're right. Cheetahs cannot play in the Heino which of course means that Glasgow are practically a shoe in for european rugby next year.
So Dragons or Zebre or Ospreys will have that playoff, almost certainly away, against almost anyone in Conf B except Kings.
Lots to play for.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Son-in-law signs a contract extension with Zebre until 2022
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Mickey Bradbury.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Apparently Nick Tompkins on loan to the Scarlets for the rest of the season is a done deal.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:Apparently Nick Tompkins on loan to the Scarlets for the rest of the season is a done deal.
Jordan Larmour will be fairly pleased.